Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice growth pictures.

Thank you!

Isaac, what was your alk and calcium at when you started dosing. Are you also dosing mag? 

4/12/14

Alk- 122 (closer to 6.72, probably 6.80)

Calc- 375

5/14/14

Alk- 140

Calc- 430

dosing 22ml a day. Alkalinity kicks in on the hour, and Calcium comes in every half hour. I dose over a 24 hour period. You can follow my juicing story here. I am currently not dosing for Mag, but I am testing. I was around 1250 about 2 weeks ago. I wonder if my water changes will take care of mag for me?

If your Magnesium is already at 1250 then water changes will probably not take care of it. Bring it back up to 1300-1400 or so. With your sized tank you might use 1/2 Gallon of BRS Mag mix just to bring it up 100ppm :)

If your Magnesium is already at 1250 then water changes will probably not take care of it. Bring it back up to 1300-1400 or so. With your sized tank you might use 1/2 Gallon of BRS Mag mix just to bring it up 100ppm :)

Sounds good, I'll test tonight, I'll probably swing by Quantum anyways and pick some up on the way home.

Thank you! It's getting there. I need to settle down and stop putting things in there.

Took some time this weekend to add some swag to my new DIY sump stand:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1399940971.987966.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1399940980.588496.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1399940994.321058.jpg

The trim adds class, the handles I'm not crazy about, but they are a cinch getting on and off. Magnets hold it in the back.

Great work! You've done quite well with that 20 gallon tank - and you keep making improvements. 

I've had a blast going through and catching up on your progress. The variety of corals you have is outstanding, and the colors looks spectacular. Just your frag rack alone - wow! Keep up the amazing work, and thanks for sharing all the photos. My tank wants to be like yours when she grows up  :tongue:

Great work! You've done quite well with that 20 gallon tank - and you keep making improvements.

Thank you, sir! The dt is ever hanging it seems as well!

recognise several of those corals....looking good

is the deepwater you call acro red polyped the one from me??? pretty sure its my purple deepwater but the progression pics do look a bit differnt hmm..

Really liking some of the zoa's you ahve there

Great growth on all fronts

its amazing what a good water change schedule will do....

Also

NICE CLAM....

recognise several of those corals....looking good

is the deepwater you call acro red polyped the one from me??? pretty sure its my purple deep water

Correct! Maybe that's why it took so long to settle in, it's in high flow heavy light... Whoops!

Really liking some of the zoa's you ahve there

I'm working on my collection, I wish they grew like my sps!

Great growth on all fronts

its amazing what a good water change schedule will do

Thank you, sir. A water change schedule has been very beneficial, I agree! I was looking through your builds, Roni's build, Marina's build, and Pauls old build (piper27) and I hope to achieve the growth, selection, and some of the styles I saw! Now I want a bigger tank to house some of my fish wish list!

Also

NICE CLAM....

I'm just getting started! I'm hoping to have 5 or so on my sand bed by the end of the year! That and scolys instead of sand! Is he kidding?!?!?

I've had a blast going through and catching up on your progress. The variety of corals you have is outstanding, and the colors looks spectacular. Just your frag rack alone - wow! Keep up the amazing work, and thanks for sharing all the photos. My tank wants to be like yours when she grows up  :tongue:

Thanks for the kind words! I'm hoping to grow everything out and live the dream! Unfortunately, that's the hard part! It's getting full, and almost feels like my tinkering is over, so I'm of course looking for things that I can change or tinker with. I really need to focus more on my frag tank.

I'm starting to consider fish a bit more. Just flipped a coin on if I should sell the foxface or not. He's awesome, but a giant compared to the rest of my fish. He also eats quite a bit of algae, so there's that. He escaped fate this time, lucky the lady thinks he's pretty.

Tank is really looking amazing man. A+!

Thanks for tuning in! Stop on by sometime and check it out!

Check out what a nori feeding looks like in my tank:

And a quick shoddy iPhone video from a while back:

Tank looks great. Great color. Fish are going nuts

Thanks for checking it out! Feeding time is always crazy! My yellow and purple are getting better with each other, so that's good.

Trying to catch my foxface. He's pretty clever. We are on day 3, he's one of the only fish still wary of the box.

post-2633508-140106255948_thumb.jpg

Well, the box finally worked. A nori burrito filled with Rods and selcon was the secret to my success. The entire catching experience brought about some mild aggression in the tank (lack of feeding, and trust of the box) and I think I've lost my Fathead Anthias. I have also not seen the Exquisite in quite some time. I would like to think it made its way down into my sump, but I've been diligent and looking around, and it's not looking good.

More softies out the door, and the reef is starting to look "cleaned up" if you will. I had to move some of my acros that were super close together because they were starting to sting each other, you will notic in the pictures. If I keep up with the growth I'm getting, I expect that I will have to spread them apart again soon. Next build, I will drill my rock for the plugs.

Adding T5's next week, have all the equipment on hand, or on order. Going to go with 2x HO AWI coral plus growth bulbs, and do the actinic on the radions. I'm hoping the T5's and reflectors will give me the extra oomph to push my corals even larger. I plan on running two 5' bulbs down the outside of the G3's, inside the hood.

Sorry about the blues, snapped a few while I was doing a water change:

The brown on the acro on the left is from the underside. I had to flip it around to max the space it was getting moved to. That was a small frag I got from Fazio when I started. It has grown quite a bit in the less than a year, mostly in the past 5 months.

DSC_0030_zpsf13933e7.jpg

I LOVE this clam. So glad I pulled the trigger on it:

DSC_0034_zps4ce4c1e8.jpg

Honey Plasmas and Eco Gorg from the ERC eco buy. These things are SUPER hearty. From the pickup, to the dip, to the placing in the tank, they never once closed up.

DSC_0039_zps127299fd.jpg

DSC_0041_zps1dda62c0.jpg

I got these from Valeria, I think they were called Kryptonites? I don't know, the color is astounding on them.

DSC_0043_zpsfe2b5013.jpg

explosive growth

DSC_0046_zpsae825b50.jpg

DSC_0062_zpsc9318161.jpg

Love these zoas and palys next to each other:

DSC_0047_zpsf9a5796f.jpg

DSC_0048_zps56e94435.jpg

DSC_0052_zps27af2915.jpg

59c21e31-40e6-4628-b891-5c250c454906_zps

DSC_0056_zpsc42e6c72.jpg

DSC_0057_zpsee34fe6d.jpg

Very pretty!

Slowly and surely! Thanks!

Great pics, I bet you are glad you started to dose!

Pics are OK, happy to dose, did you read about my calc overdose scare? Just tested tonight, looks like back on track for alk, will test, and probably start dosing for calc again in the am.

You have some beautiful specimens there.

Thank you!