How to clean glass?

Sharkey18

I am SO tired of streaks on my tank. I have tried windex, all natural glass cleaners and a few other things and I cannot get rid of the streaks.

Please help!

Try a little dishwashng liquid mixed with a lot of hot water. Wipe off with terry cloth or mix one cup of rubbing alcohol with a tablespoon of vinegar. This solution evaporates quickly and ensures streak-free glass.

Spray a little vinegar on and wipe with a dry, crumpled newspaper page. Works on windows and should work on the tank panes.

(A 1/4 cup vinegar to 2 quart water solution works just as well. The B/W newpaper page is key.)

I use plain water. Wipe once with a damp towel. Then go over it again with a dry towel. Streaks or smudges usually disappear with a little more elbow grease.

i use car wax and a microfiber towel for removal. Great thing about doing this, when water hits the glass it just runs right off (like rain-x for a car) and I can simply just re wipe it again a few days later and looks great. Another plus to the wax is that it can (if youre using a good quality wax) can pull dirt, crap whatever off too.. Ive been doing this for years now.

I have a streak free aerosol can spray glass cleaner I buy from Harris Teeter. It's about $3 a pop, and I can't remember the name of it, but I'll get back to you. It takes hardly any elbow grease, and really dries streak free. I've used it on my aquarium glass, car, home, you can't beat it. I tried google searching it, and i can't find it, so when I get home I'll post it up for ya.

So I've read about using newspaper on glass. It does not leave black ink streaks?

I also read that a 50% vinegar solution should work well. I am about to start experimenting until I get it right.

Gorgeous tank with ugly streaks makes me very annoyed.

So I've read about using newspaper on glass. It does not leave black ink streaks?

Nope. Years ago, when I first tried this on the house windows, I was very pleasantly surprised. No black streaks on the glass at all. Your hands will get a little dirty but the glass will be streak free. It's kind of amazing actually.

A drop or two of dishwashing detergent in the glass cleaner helps. Just keep it out of the tank. Such a small amount isn't likely going to be troublesome, but better safe than sorry.

Give it a try tonight. You've probably got an old local newsrag in your mailbox or recycle pile right now.

I've used newspaper since I was a kid to clean glass. Works better than just about anything else for trying off whatever spray you're using.

To get rid of streaks on the tank, I just do what was mentioned by Ron above, water and little elbow grease. If the streak doesn't go away the first time, give a spritz more water and wipe it down with a clean towel or newspaper and you're good to go!

Well, I cleaned the glass with 50% vinegar and that worked really well. I also switched to a cotton rag rather than paper towels. Definitely much better.

Next step is to dig out some newspaper...

go grap some free expresses at the metro....

learned about the newspapers a loong time ago working at a B&B in cali.

also for wax on carpet use a paper towel and an iron

on broken glass use wonderbread

Edited by Der ABT

Huh, newspaper. I didn't know that, cool.

Thanks, y'all!

Wet paper towel for salt creep. Anything else I use RODI water in a spray bottle and shower squeegee. Spray, wipe and dry the squeegee with a paper towel between wipes.