NC to DC :) Hello to all!

Hello all! I am extremely excited to finally be able to join the forum. I have been looking to move to the D.C. area for some time now. I will get my wish this February as long as the budget cuts don't affect the job I just accepted ;)

A bit about myself:

Currently I live in Charlotte NC and have been in NC (Jacksonville, Greensboro, and Raleigh) for the last 12 years –wow it doesn’t feel like that long… Before NC I was from PA, and am looking forward to getting back “up north” where winter is a possibility.

I have been in the hobby for about 3 years now. I am an avid DIYer and prefer to build anything that I can feasibly construct. I have experience in tank building (acrylic), light fixture builds (LED and Halide), tank plumbing, canopy construction, “pendant” style light construction, arduino (very very limited) experience, and I have “built” my own live rock.

The project I want to tackle after the move will be to create a wave maker using a piston pump.

I keep two tanks, one mixed reef and one freshwater African Dwarf Frog tank. Currently the reef is 90g +20g sump +5g refugium; and the ADF tank is a 20g long.

Through the process of the move I will be upgrading to a 100g +30g sump for the mixed reef. I plan on posting pics of the tank build and move process as we go so stay tuned for that.

I look forward to contributing to and learning from this community. So far it looks like a great resource!

(edited)

2nd Light Armored Recon, Bravo Co, 2nd Plt. Yut!!

Good to see a fellow Tarawa Terror on here :)

I was with 2nd Rad Bn (Signals Intelligence). We actually had two or three (can’t remember exactly) LAVs of our own. Our crews would attach with you LAR boys to go bust heads. You may have seen them, from what they tell me our LAVs would never "float" when doing MEUSOC workups.

Edited by Jason Rhoads

(edited)

welcome. I went to school in Wilmington and my wife is a Dukey.

I love the Wilmington area, good place to collect peppermint shrimp if you ever get back there.

Duke is a pretty good school, however they recently got a basketball lesson from my alma mater (NC State) --Had to throw in the shout out ;)

Edited by Jason Rhoads

I love the Wilmington area, good place to collect peppermint shrimp if you ever get back there.

Duke is a pretty good school, however they recently got a basketball lesson from my alma mater (NC State) --Had to throw in the shout out ;)

Interesting. Didn't know that. I am not a Duke fan either! What type of work are you in? Where are you going to settle down?

What type of work are you in? Where are you going to settle down?

Right now I am an analyst with Wells Fargo, but I will soon be doing trade investigations with the Department of Commerce. We are actually going to be driving up this weekend to (hopefully) lock in an apartment for a year. Right now we are looking at the Springfield area. The metro blue line would take me right to where I need to be in D.C. After we get a feel for the area I really want to buy a house as upgrading to a much bigger tank isn't a realistic possibility in an apartment.

Welcome to WAMAS, Jason. Glad to see you posting up and introducing yourself. I'm intrigued by your predisposition toward DIY. That's great. Take lots of pictures of anything you're doing like this and post up in our DIY forum. I'd love to see more action there.

Welcome to WAMAS, Jason. Glad to see you posting up and introducing yourself. I'm intrigued by your predisposition toward DIY. That's great. Take lots of pictures of anything you're doing like this and post up in our DIY forum. I'd love to see more action there.

Will do Tom, I have some pictures from a few past projects that I will post in the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the club and our area!

Welcome - we're actually doing the near-opposite of your move. We bought a condo in a retirement community in Cornelius and plan to spend a lot of time on Lake Norman. And our daughter is a (former) Marine - served at MCAS-Yuma for nine years. Nice place to visit ... ! :-)

Welcome - we're actually doing the near-opposite of your move. We bought a condo in a retirement community in Cornelius and plan to spend a lot of time on Lake Norman. And our daughter is a (former) Marine - served at MCAS-Yuma for nine years. Nice place to visit ... ! :-)

I spent some time in Yuma. We were there for a month doing some training with the air wing guys. That was when I realized that cacti are projectile weapons when near a helo landing zone (they get hurled into the air from the force of the rotors). I had one go through my leather combat boot and lodge itself 1/4 of an inch into the meat of my foot (right at the arch). Talk about PAIN!

Lake Norman is a very pretty place you are going to love it. Be prepared that traffic around the area (looking at you I-77) gets pretty congested during the work rush, when the Panthers play, and for NASCAR. Other than that it is a really good place to be.