• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks y'all :)

Progress is being made...

65886_4163906822827_1078929580_n.jpg

That stand is sweet!! Very nice.

Thanks y'all, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and looks in the space... I'm actually not 100% done with the stand... I ordered a piece of stainless steel trim that will go in the gap around the top... Unfortunately, it came in an inch short, so I need to have them cut again.

Today I'm working on doing plumbing and my wall penetrations :unsure: for the plumbing...

Jim, I'm not sure of a how-to, but what I would do is do it in two "layers." For mine, the two layers are the frame and the skin. The frame is exposed on the inside and gives a lip for the door to set into. On mine it's pretty tight, so I could probably get away without them, but I added cabinet magnets just to hold it in place. I'll take a couple pictures to show you.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a little slower recently since I've been pretty busy at work the last two weeks... but some minor progress over the weekend that I'm just not uploading pictures for...

Wall penetrations:

med_gallery_2632346_867_90073.jpg

Fit up:

gallery_2632346_867_288429.jpg

And after I sanded all the piping with 600 grit sandpaper (to remove markings and give it a matte appearance) and glued everything up:

gallery_2632346_867_64231.jpg

Wow, that stand is awesome. I can't believe you sanded your pvc!! Now that's some serous dedication to aesthetics. Looking great.

Thanks, Laura, I only wanted to do that for the stuff that's in the house... I won't be doing it for any of the plumbing in the garage, but it probably would have been nice to know Mike's trick (I didn't!)... Oh well, it only took a few minutes :)

Thanks, Tom!

By the way, the three penetrations are for the drain (1.5"), return (1"), and emergency dry drain (1.5").

I've learned the hard way many times that if something can fail, it probably will... You may remember my issue a while back, well I drilled a hole in a tank with water then and decided all future tanks would have that dry drain. In this case, I am also using the emergency dry drain to run the wires from the DT (powerheads and lighting) and to run an RO line that I'll use for the initial fill... I currently have the "fishing lines" run through that pipe now.

I don't even have to click on the link. You're talking about your pineapple sponge incident, right?

"The Pineapple Sponge Incident". I love it. I think everyones mis-steps and crashes should get cool names! We could have a forum full of stickies explaining each one. Sort of a fun to way to establish institutional memory and it might make our crashes and burns a little easier to take.

In addition to the Pineapple Sponge Incident we could have:

"Steve Outlaw Becomes Famous"

"The $6000 snail"

etc etc

"The Pineapple Sponge Incident". I love it. I think everyones mis-steps and crashes should get cool names! We could have a forum full of stickies explaining each one. Sort of a fun to way to establish institutional memory and it might make our crashes and burns a little easier to take.

In addition to the Pineapple Sponge Incident we could have:

"Steve Outlaw Becomes Famous"

"The $6000 snail"

etc etc "JUSTIN"

LOL... yes, yes I am talking about that issue!

So, I was doing some standard maintenance and standard putzing last night (recalibrating dosing pumps, pH meters, installing an additional temperature probe, etc.) and I was encouraged to see for the first time that most of my badly sunburned corals that didn't completely die are showing growth edges and improvement... Yay!

So, the sunburning issue I had really made me step back for a moment and think about what I am doing...

Ever since I got rid of the seahorses, I have really felt that my tank has been aimless and without direction, but since I had so many larger colonies, it really added a lot of inetria to a direction change. I even described the tank as my directionless reef on several occasions..

One of the things that I really think makes an individual tank pop is a peculiar focus and overall theme or goal - something that I think only a few people are good at and fewer really even try. So losing many (probably 40%) of my corals including all but one of my gorgonians (it is in the sump tank), most my acans, and all my large leathers has really caused me to step back and think about what focus I want the tank to have and what direction I want to take it. After much thought - and a bit of accompanying delay - I have decided on where I want to take this tank...

So for this one, I'm going to focus on a few tabling acros that are framed a bit with "bottle brush like" corals and place anthias hovering above the corals heads.

I have a few other facets to the vision that I have right now, but we'll just see where they go :)