pizzaguy's new build (this one is the one) no more changing

pizzaguy

I moved my tank on a handtruck and it fractured the glass slightly at the bottom of a side panel in the middle. The bottom of my tank is a floating panel, and the fracture is beneath the seam. I didn't even think twice. As Tom said the tank contains a lot of weight, but the distribution is spread out a lot. I know how you feel. I took posession of a perfect tank, and messed it up in my custody. I have no concern, but probably would never sell it this way. Tough call man.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I feel for you. You are getting a lot of great suggestions and recommendations and I hope in the end everything works out! As a rule of thumb for every 100 ft, you experience 44PSI, if your tank height is 3 ft, that chip will experience about 1.3 psi. So a nickel size chip will see approximately 1 lb of of static force. Will that be enough to be of concern? Yes, but It is all relative on what risk you are willing to accept. Another analogy is look at how bottom bulkheads are installed and sealed. It does not take much torque to create good seal. Just my thoughts and I could be way off someone may be able to correct my rough analysis.

A lot of great advice and I appreciate it. We will have it up and running in no time. My goal is to have water in it the week of Xmas. That's my plan anyways. Now that the pump problem is solved I should have everything to at least get the cycle started except for my light bracket.

That's great news. Please post plenty of pics.

A lot of great advice and I appreciate it. We will have it up and running in no time. My goal is to have water in it the week of Xmas. That's my plan anyways. Now that the pump problem is solved I should have everything to at least get the cycle started except for my light bracket.

Question. Do you think a mag12 is enough for a return and a manifold for 3 reactors or is that simply asking to much,out of the pump?

The question is pretty broad. Do you have any idea of the flow requirements for each reactor?

(Sent from my phone)

Not really. I guess the biggest thing I was trying to do is salvage the 3 way manifold that came with the tank. I did pick up my pipe for my light bracket that hopefully will be built Wednesday. It's only 1/2solid pipe so should be very sleek.

Well, the Mag-12 is a decent pump that can deliver good pressure. Assuming a 5' lift, their spec sheet shows that it can deliver 1120 gph. If I assume 20% reduction due to friction losses, it's down to 900 gph. Assuming 75 gph through each reactor (a completely fabricated number), you're down to 675 gph for the main tank. Your tank holds about 135 gallons without rock and such. Thus, 675 gph is about a 5x turnover through the sump, which I think is adequate. I think that you'll be fine, but hooking it up and turning it on will be the real test.

If I was going with a manifold, I would seriously consider an external pressure-rated pump like a Blue Line 55, or Panworld. You will get more flow through the plumbing and less heat in the tank. They also do not get limed up like the mags.

more progress pics. light bracket is made and dropped off at the powdercoat shop.

post-2633446-0-00025900-1355951462_thumb.jpg

post-2633446-0-44008300-1355951474_thumb.jpg

post-2633446-0-81445000-1355951485_thumb.jpg

post-2633446-0-49862800-1355951499_thumb.jpg

Edited by pizzaguy

This is going to look great!!

Saw this tank in person tonight and there is no way the little chip it has in it did any structural damage. Hopefully by next week it will be wet.

progress. wont be long now!!!

post-2633446-0-60413800-1356582744_thumb.jpg

post-2633446-0-74892400-1356582756_thumb.jpg

post-2633446-0-28933100-1356582769_thumb.jpg

post-2633446-0-17309400-1356582779_thumb.jpg

post-2633446-0-48658600-1356582791_thumb.jpg

Looks good. All of your traveling and hard work is coming to fruition.

You should disable,or put in a gfi outlet for that outlet under the tank imo

Looking good.

How do you plan to plumb the external skimmer? The skimmer drain must be above the sump water level.

Please don't tell me you mean the skimmer itself must be above the sump water level!!! If so I'm lost and need suggestions.

And thank you everyone I can't wait to get water in this thing.

Please don't tell me you mean the skimmer itself must be above the sump water level!!! If so I'm lost and need suggestions.

In order for the skimmer to work properly, the drain must be above the sump water level. External skimmers rely on gravity to evacuate the water, otherwise excessive back pressure and skimmer overflowing will occur.

Ridetheducati Adage: This hobby is not only about keeping wonderful animals but analyzing and solving problems.