Der ABT 156g Build

Der ABT

im not painting with you unless you leave those nasty rasta flops at home.

Its barefoot weather anyways, hater.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the 90g is offically broken down and sitting outside to dry off some unwanted paly's....steve told me to just throw in some boiling water so im doing that tonight...no im not actually doing this.....

gonna miss that tank, really did me well, i fit more coral than i ever though possible in it....i had it up and running for the last month or so without the sump..and forgot there was some water and sand in 2 chambers....what a smell....turned some leftover frag plugs black....

so now just need to bring the last of the supplies/equipment over....and eventually sell the tank before my wife kills me for trying to set it up....

now i can concentrate on the home tanks and finishing up the fishroom....tank is running well, so no real updates there (did have one clown jump so the trio is now a pair....ugh....netting is set overtop and just need to make the final screens now...only had the stuff to do it for who knows how long so noone to blame cept me.......still soo much i want to do...one day ill get there...one day.

....steve told me to just throw in some boiling water so im doing that tonight...no im not actually doing this.....

I love that this doesn't seem to get old, except probably for Steve. 

Congrats, I bet you're feeling pretty accomplished. I was just at the home depot last night down at 7 corners, and they have all the tools you need to make that screen top you want, no excuses! Bummer about the clown, when I had my 14 gallon, I used to find one in the overflow all the time. Now that I've got a nem, they haven't even seen past the 3 feet of tank on the right. I'd be surprised if they even knew there was another end to the tank. 

So are you saying we should expect to see a FS thread on a 90 gallon, or are you going to set it up again  :ph34r:

I love that this doesn't seem to get old, except probably for Steve. 

Luckily the toxin killed enough brain cells so I really don't remember when people bring it up.......every time it's like it's brand new!!

if i set it up...im a dead man....though its really tempting to get rid of the 40breeder and 30 cube and try it out haha....but i think i would go for a shallower tank if i did that (ideally 48x24x18 or so)...one day ill probalby do that but its hard to buy a new tank when i have the ones there already....well at least its hard to explain that to a loving wife who puts up with the copius amounts of crap i have..

i wish i felt accomplished, fish room is a MESS...i need to finish it up....shouldnt be hard  (just need the water changing station finalized, clean up the wiring and actually mount things to the equipment panel. and some shelving and it should give me enough room to work on getting the rest finished up and finally organized.

i wish i felt accomplished, fish room is a MESS...i need to finish it up....shouldnt be hard  (just need the water changing station finalized, clean up the wiring and actually mount things to the equipment panel. and some shelving and it should give me enough room to work on getting the rest finished up and finally organized.

exactly my to-do list and attitude but just the idea of trying to figure out how to run everything and do it cleanly and figure out the maze/puzzle mess of wires without having to rerun them all once i change placement of a water pump or sensor is driving my OCD brain crazy. good luck and keep us posted when you start as i'm sure it'll be catalyst for my own action.

yeh its  hard for the cords, i REALLY want to focus on getting that looking nice.

im thinking of running some extension wires to boxes as some of the wires just wont make it to the equipment panel i had planned and was really excited about (see the old thread 90g for that)

some just wont run that far, other option is to make an enclosed shelf or box off the end of the stand or under the stand so i dont have to worry about humidity etc...already ahve rj45 connectors to make my own ACIII to dc8 cables with my extra ethernet cord but i just need to work out protecting them making a junction box....which may end up being wood cause its cheap and easy though id rather find some cheap plastic ones meant for this purpose (well you know what i mean)

other fear is making it too neat and difficult to access plugs for cleaning/replacement etc so im slowly thinking and jotting down notes in my "freetime"

Also i need to figure out my ATO's (yes plural) ...im running 3 systems cause i like to make things more difficult. i completely Blanked and forgot to responsd to Naga after getting a nice quote with his sale....palm meet face. but i have my old containters from the 90g i can reuse (15g dogfood thing) and will then probalby run out of my 55g freshwater tub as well with a syphon break so not a huge deal just wont look as nice as i would like.

which reminds me i need to do a water change tonight.

and also reminds me i want to combine the 40g and 30g into a single system with a 10g sump and rotate the 30g or redrill it so i can just use one return pump for both tanks...

see the list never gets smaller regardless of what i check off. :wacko:  Why do i do this to myself....

Edited by Der ABT

see the list never gets smaller regardless of what i check off. :wacko:  Why do i do this to myself....

You  check things off to make space for new things.. Thats what makes it a hobby.. People who just own fish tanks, are not really hobbyists.

• 1 month later...

Might as well do the last update of 2013 with some not so great pics. Tank has been going pretty good, just tryign to make myself a little better a cleaning things consistently and scraping the freaking coraline off (has been going nuts lately) past month was a little rough on time so didnt do a water change for a while.

also did a bonehead move, somehow decided to put the DI conister in upside down when i replaced it last....guess im already getting old.

Otherwise i have too much coral....need to get rid of a few things and make some room/growout room for whats in there.

Rockwork is not done yet, want to build up the right side a little more to free up some space and eventually put some more fish in there, have a list going of what i want and i think its goign to be really nice if i can get everything. first i want to get the fish room finished up (water change station finalized, electrical finished and cleaned. etc etc etc....

well enough talk here are some pics.

IMG_5564_zps9531d067.jpg

IMG_5562_zpse5d7531c.jpg

IMG_5566_zps0e70b630.jpg

IMG_5568_zps1d8917cc.jpg

IMG_5569_zps2c7820d3.jpg

shortcake recovered...was completely brown with no color from the transfer.

IMG_5572_zps44d45a8f.jpg

IMG_5575_zps7131991f.jpg

IMG_5576_zps51a0b6af.jpg

IMG_5581_zps64768320.jpg

IMG_5585_zps6d7c0bab.jpg

IMG_5583_zpseb513c6c.jpg

IMG_5578_zps00cf3085.jpg

ill try to get some brighter pics when the halides come on. been very happy with how things are coming along. Colors are finally getting close to where i want them, fish all seem happy

if only i can get the other two tanks more set it and forget it (having to manual dose still and its a PIA) oh yeh and they are filled with corals too...i have issues.

So far the 156 is almost all SPS ....eventually may try to do a zoa bottom but havent decided on this yet

also plan to add a few more clams in there (still have a soft spot for clams)

P.S. spotlight effect in the middle is from the D120 that sits between the two halides it comes on the daylight a little early but when the halides comes on it looks normal)

• 3 weeks later...

took a couple pics, not good ones but close enough, figured id keep the eye candy rolling... as there isnt much else good to report, had a few issues lately with equipment and typical time constraints but all is running ok now.

side pane view (glass is pitted so its not very clear but who cares its the side pane)

IMG_5651_zps90c05982.jpg

IMG_5652_zps8a3d9c9d.jpg

Had a really busy weekend and had several ask about this so, before the meeting spent the morning loading this

ResizedImage951390693897236_zpsc1bea878.

ResizedImage_1390693938963_zpsadcea4c0.j

car was pretty much all ready to go,

IMG_20140124_124042_703_zpsec3a01f5.jpg

all packed up and ready to go to the first race of the 2014 season...cant wait for the warm weather.

this is why i was late to the meeting, i need to pick some hobbies that take less time i think.

since i had the phone out i went ahead and took some pics that came out not half bad with none of those nifty new gel filters or anything

i call this one

GOT SPACE??

IMG_20140127_154001_139_zps78b73e59.jpg

IMG_20140127_154024_058_zpsb36547fc.jpg

IMG_20140127_154012_368_zpse23cd3f7.jpg

also got some maintenance done on sunday and last night and actually had a few things checked off the to do list for the first time in a  while

still got plenty to do but will have to wait, ill get some real camera updated pics as soon as i have the chance.

Colors are finally getting back to where they should be, growth is doing well in the main....just happy to look at the tank now and again.

Junkie!

Not only less time consuming, less expensive hobbies! Car AND tank look amazing.

haha yeh Wamas wont pony up...what gives... i mean just a tire or two would get you stickers haha

actually do we have wamas stickers...id put one on ...

We definitely need to get a WAMAS sticker on that puppy!!! :clap: I miss my "68" 911. On a different note it appears that you have more fragging to do Bro.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

may as well update, had a good time at the races  1st 2nd 1st and was in first on the last lap of the 2nd race ..painful

Disney was GREAT daughter both liked it

Tank did well while i was gone (had one skimmer not turn back on in my daughters tank as the power went out at some point.

not too much else new, need to get the frag tanks into a single soon, tired of dosing both.....Finally got a doser hooked up on one of the tank....CARX are just easier if you ask me.

here are a couple random pics....color is a little too green/blue but what can ya do.

IMG_6347_zps886ede93.jpg

ultimate stag

IMG_6352_zpsec390872.jpg

IMG_6332_zps9fa0cf0a.jpg

IMG_6336_zps5d8decae.jpg

alright photobucket is failing so ill post some more up later