Ryan S

Which MH Bulb?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which MH Bulb?

• 400w 10k XM
    • 400w 20k Radium
    • 400w Plus Rite
    • 400w Other

Here is a FTS the last day my 9 month-old tank was under LEDs. As you can see, there are many small SPS frags. I have switched to a 400 watt MH, with a large lumen bright reflector. I am debating between buying a new 400w 10k XM MH bulb, or a new 400w 20k Radium MH bulb. I will not be running supplemental lighting, at least not for now. There are pros and cons to each bulb. Ultimately, for me, it comes down to 10k XM producing more PAR than almost any other MH bulb on the market, which translates to the fastest SPS growth possible. Or, the radium, with less PAR, so the SPS frags won't grow as fast, but they will have the best coloration possible. Which do you recommend I start out with? 10k XM for a year, then switch to a 20k to color up the larger SPS mini-colonies? 10k XM for a couple years, then switch to a 20k to color up the full SPS colonies? 20k Radium from the start? A cheap $20 Plus Rite Bulb, or "Other"? If you choose these, which spectrum or bulb, and why? Thanks for your vote! The winning bulb will be ordered tomorrow!

gallery_2631706_3_545342.jpg

400 watt 12K reeflux. I have seen these over several tanks and they look awesome.

I also like the pheonix 14k, but I don't think they come in 400 watt.

I have tried numerious 400w bulbs over the years and agree with Frank. I love the reeflux 12k. I also like the radiums20k and currently using each of these on seperate fixtures. You might be the happiest with the 20k radiums coming from LED fixtures. Cant go wrong with either, but I do not think you would like the 10k bulbs.

Which type ballast are you running? Radium 20K's work best on a old M80 ballast. I run a M80 ballast, Sunlight Supply Bluewave, am currently running the XM 10K bulbs to try and get some nice growth, which I seem to be getting, but they say the M80's will shorten the life of the XM 10K's to like 6 mos. My corals are definately washing out some after a couple months. When the XM's loose their punch I will be putting in a fresh set of Radium 20K to get the color back.

I'm a total newb, but thought I'd chime in. Do you really want to not like the look of your tank for a year just in the name of slightly faster growth in a tank you apparently are going to have to move in a few months anyway?

Sounds like folks are saying that any of the options you're looking at will grow SPS just fine including the 20k bulb, and it sounds like long-term you want to use the 20k bulb, so if it were me I'd just start off with the 20k bulb or one of the inbetweens that people like.

I'd knock the 10k one totally out of the running. You're not in a race with someone to grow brown corals or planning to make money selling them, so pick something that you'll like for the next year instead of something you won't. If my memory of previous reading of your threads is correct you're moving soon, and will end up somewhere else with a different layout for putting the ideal tank. You might even end up with a totally different tank to fit the perfect spot in your new place. Go with what you like now and what you can afford now while saving for a down payment and pray that the move goes well with the colorful SPS you've grown before the move under your 400W light. 8)

really, with a lower color temperature lamp (like the 10k), you could get away with 250W. PAR is higher at lower color temps.

I didn't answer the poll, though. I think you should go with the color you like.

If you think 10k xms grow brown corals there was something wrong other than lighting in my opinion.

If you have ever used the word "pop" you will be bored with the 10k Ryan. And if you do use one there is no reason to buy a 400w at all. Par is 300 on the bottom of my 24" tank with 250s, the 400 I use over the glass center brace.

I do like pop, definitely, but, the majority of my SPS pieces are 1" frags. I am thinking 1 year under a 6500k iwasaki; or a 10k XM; would allow everything to grow a lot, and THEN I can switch to the 20k to make them colorful. A tank full of colorful 1" sps frags would be as boring to me as a pop-less tank I think.

You make things much more difficult then they have to be. Pick a bulb you like and leave it alone. Do your water changes, clean your skimmer (if your running one) stop messing with everything. Your never going to be completely happy so might as well just pick one.

Edited by rocko918

I use 250watt 14000K Pheonix bulbs on my 125. I like the natural look it gives my tank. I will admit that some high blue tanks look neat, but I am going for a look that I remember from diving around the world when I was in the Navy. Not to start a crapstorm or anything, but I,m just not into "black light poster" tanks. Try looking at as many tanks as you can to see what YOU like. Ultimately you are the one that has to be happy with it and live with it so chose what you like. Like everything else, peoples opinion milage may vary!!!!!!

You make things much more difficult then they have to be. Pick a bulb you like and leave it alone. Do your water changes, clean your skimmer (if your running one) stop messing with everything. Your never going to be completely happy so might as well just pick one.

+1...

THere is a new 4k 29000K coming out net month....its upgradeable and only costs you 250 a bulb...its goign to revolutionize this thread..... :clap:

I guess i just dont see a bulb making that huge of a difference...if you want a fully grown in tank...buy full colonies....personally i like watching them grown.

the diff in a 10k for 20k...is there any documented growth accelerator...what is it one grew 1 1/4 in and the other grew 1 inch???

just saying...

i understand asking suggestions for bulbs..

But rather then polling, ask who is running this 400k bulb and can you visit to see it in person...thats the only way to get what you want not what the internet tells you you want.

THere is a new 4k 29000K coming out net month....its upgradeable and only costs you 250 a bulb...its goign to revolutionize this thread..... :clap:

I did see a 22K out now for $130. Didn't know they had bulbs higher than 20K.