Looking for a new return pump - Does anyone use a WaterBlaster 5000 or 7000

epleeds

My Ehiem 1262 is not enough pump on the new tank so I need something that can push more water. I was looking at the Waterblaster pumps and was wondering if anyone is using one and what they thought of it. I ready some reviews on RC, but wanted to see what everyone here thought. It has to be an in-sump return pump, which is my limitation.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have one yet, but after studying available pumps and creating a bunch of matrices on which to compare them. I decided they water basters were the best value for the money and highest efficiency for their money being very close in efficiency numbers to a red dragon or flow star pump.

Again, not first hand, but they do receive pretty decent reliability marks so far, though they haven't been on the market long enough for me to really evaluate well on that front.

Bottom line, I intend to buy one.

its pretty much the same as the bubble blaster pumps just has a different volute (also heard its the same as some pond pumps/red dragon/blah blah blah with a different volute..)

i plan to get one as well eventually.

top notch pumps for sure. I have used them as closed loop pumps and return pumps, assuming you dont provide too much head pressure in the use of elbows, valves, and downsized pipes; they really move a ish ton of water.

Sean

I just replaced a reeflo dart with a HY16000 and its much much quieter, has no chance of leaking and my temp actually dropped .2 degrees. Absolutely love mine...go for it

okay. So I have 5' of head pressure along with a few 45 degree bends and a 90 degree at the end. With the HY10000, it would be at around 1300 GPH for $260. I also found an ATB Flowstar 1500 which is 1215 GPH at the same head height for $279.

Really tempted to go for the ATB, since i have their skimmers and Victor's customer service is top notch.

Anyone here have any insight into the ATB?

I just replaced a reeflo dart with a HY16000 and its much much quieter, has no chance of leaking and my temp actually dropped .2 degrees. Absolutely love mine...go for it

Is this for a closed loop.

In my same look at return pumps the flowstar won out in all categories except for cost (although the waterblaster was a very close second). I don't think you can go wrong with one, but in the end, I am not sure the extra cost is worth it for a very small performance increase.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples on the flow numbers. Always either find the flow at zero head or at some value (say 4 ft) and compare at that number.

In my same look at return pumps the flowstar won out in all categories except for cost (although the waterblaster was a very close second). I don't think you can go wrong with one, but in the end, I am not sure the extra cost is worth it for a very small performance increase.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples on the flow numbers. Always either find the flow at zero head or at some value (say 4 ft) and compare at that number.

The water blaster is 1300 GPH at 5' and the ATB is 1215 GPH at 5', based off of the website data. Plus its only a $15 dollar difference between the two pumps. My Ehiem is 898 at 0' head but at 5' its only pushing about 525 GPH. My gate valve is almost closed due to the low amount of flow.

Sorry, thought you were a baller... haha

My skimmer has a bubble blaster pump. If I ever get water in my tank I am looking forward to the performance.

after buying the tank, stand, skimmer and lights, my baller status has diminished greatly.

I do like the tunze silence series... Flow numbers good, efficiency high, AC sources removed from salt water... There are a lot of good things to say about them.

The cost is a bit much, though :(

I have the waterblaster 10k sitting in a box waiting for my tanks to show up. Granted I dont think I offered any advice here...

how long till your tanks show up. we could water test it at my house..hahah

How long would you want to run it for? I get the sump in the next week or two, and want to start plumbing then. But if you want to borrow it for a week or so I will let you

Edited by MBVette

This is an awesome pump. It's quiet, easy to maintain and should be plenty flow if your using it as a return. I'm have used several models of this lump and they are perfect. Also the wattage is pretty good. And it has a built in flow adjustment.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Compact+_5000_Pump_Aquarium_Powerheads_Compact_Pumps-Eheim-EH11036-FIPHCP-EH11052-vi.html

I use the same Eheim pumps that Chris is talking about for a return and a feed pump- both work great.

I also use the WB 7000 and 5000 for return and closed loop- both work great.

The majority of the tanks that I maintain use good old-fashioned Mag-Drives though.

My gate valve is almost closed due to the low amount of flow.

Why are you closing your gate valve?

I have been running the WB 10k for almost a year now with no complaints. I picked it because Sean at F&F recommended it and we all know that man knows what he is talking about. The price, warranty, and no wanting a pump that leaks like the Reeflos are prone to were three big pros in me picking it. For the large amount of water it pushes it is impressive how near silent it is.