Marine Photography Class (Feeler)

Gadgets

Thinking about teaching a marine photography class. Wanted to put out a feeler to see if there was any interest. My name is Chris thomas and some of you may know me as Gadgets. I am a International Wedding/Event photographer based in Washington, DC. My portfolio can be found at www.livlifstudios.com

I have always wanted to teach a marine photography class to show others how to get amazing pictures of their tanks. This winter I will have some free time and figured why not do it now.

The class would be held at my place in Washington, DC 20010. Cost for WAMAS members would be $50 and $75 for Non-members (please bring your valid WAMAS card). The class would be are 2-3 hours and you will have the option to stay after for questions and to do more shooting 1 on 1 with me. This class will cover the basics of camera function and photographing aquarium tanks, corals, and fish. We will use tripods and top down boxes. You must have a DSLR, lens and a tripod. Thinking about teaching the class in the next 2-3 months. Class will be limited to 10 students. You are also welcome to bring your laptop to learn some post processing in LR4 or Photoshop.

Here are some of my pics to give you an idea of what you will learn to do at this class.

SJ_0001-1.jpg

j032.jpg

j025.jpg

j018.jpg

j015.jpg

CHR_6125web.jpg

I would be very interested! Having such a class would even motivate me to get me off my butt and buy a DSLR- something I have been thinking about doing for a while. The post-processing part would be interesting too. Hopefully we can get into some really good stuff in the 2-3 hours.

One thing I'm assuming (maybe requesting) is that the "basics of camera function" section be specific to marine tank photography considerations as opposed to camera function in general. I don't think I could sit through a session explaining the basics of aperture settings or shutter speeds. :tongue:

I could sign up as the "if they can do it, anyone can" student :laugh:

I'd be interested depending on timeline.

Does "DC based" mean you're back in the area? If yes then glad to see you back!

I'm interested....but it would have to be in Sept or October as I am moving to California in late October.......also, let me know if you would do a one on one class......

Cheers,

Darren

Awesome! I'll start figuring out dates so we can get this going. Does November work for everyone?

Btw. I'm back in the area.

Btw. I'm back in the area.

Cool, Nov should work for me.

I have an older DSLC (nikon d70) I have no idea how to use the thing, can you teach me how to use it also?

There's a bunch of Nikon shooters here, sure someone can help. Or there's likely a book (e-book) on the D70, DPreview.....

What camera and lense do you recommend for amateur?

We could start a whole thread on that :laugh: much depends on your goals & needs. Here's a vid from B&H Photo that give you an idead of the various levels of bodies. A bit long but very good -

• 7 months later...