My 220 gallon rebuild

MBVette

Cloudy like a bacterial bloom? Sand / particulates? Did you test for nitrates? Have you dosed anything recently?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Just tested nitrates and they are at about 1 (I suck at reading color charts)

Not sure what a bacteria bloom looks like. It's almost foggy in there. I have not dosed it added anything into the tank. My corals, shrimp, and 2 clowns are still doing good. Had a couple snails die,but nothing really dramatic.

I'm guessing the snail seats are due to I didn't have enough algae and they starved? I have hair algae now but not much wlse

Edited by MBVette

Not sure what a bacteria bloom looks like. It's almost foggy in there. I have not dosed it added anything into the tank. My corals, shrimp, and 2 clowns are still doing good. Had a couple snails die,but nothing really dramatic.

The nitrates are being taken up by the algae, I guess. Some inverts are more sensitive to high nitrates - that may be behind the snail loss, but it could also be food or acclimation issues. A bacterial bloom can look like somebody poured milk in the tank. When it's bad, you can't even see the back of the tank. Expect low oxygen in these situations. Keep your skimmer running to force more oxygen in the water. What changed recently - just before the foggy water?

Nothing that I can think off. I added some new corals over the weekend so disturbed the sand bed a little, but can't imagine that caused much since the sand bed is so new.

The skimmer neck got overly dirty bc I needed to clean the swabbie. So the skimmer didn't pull anything for a couple days also.

It sounds like a bacteria bloom. The same bacteria we need to convert ammonia can multiply fast while free floating in the water which makes it cloudy. They normally do this when new tanks are starting the cycle and the bacteria population is high, or when sand beds are disturbed releasing stuff into the water column, or something dies providing ammonia. It normally runs a course and crashes after a few days. What ammonia reading do you have?

My guess is that the ammononia spike has probably passed given the time that it's taken to grow all the algae that he described. But a bacterial bloom seems likely. Normally it passes over a few days but, Mike, how long did you say it's been cloudy? Also, given the sensitivity of inverts to water quality, hold off on the turbos until this cycle has passed. Manual removal of the algae is a great way to export the nitrogen tied up in the plant material.

I first noticed it slightly cloudy sunday, probably at its worst now. The green hair algae is all very long strands, some 3" long and its all over the tank. I can definitly get in there and pull some out.

If you let hair algae grow without current, it resembles an enormous fern. I let it grow 8" once in a tank, then got a Two-Barred Rabbitfish who made short work out of it in 2 days.

ok so this morning I just checked the amonia and it is coming out at 0.

I also just did a 40g water change and making more water now to do another water change tomorrow.

What's the reason behind the large water changes? The algae might actually be cleaning up what you have in the tank.

Well 40 gallon is my normal change, and I do that about every 10 days. I was thinking about doing another 40 facilitate cleaning out whatever is in the water. You think I should hold off on the second change tomorrow?

So this hair algae is out of hand. The cloudiness seems to have gone away and the water is clear again. I have not fed the fish in 2 days now b/c Im trying to make sure I am not overfeeding now.

The most recent test shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, .04 phosphate.

The nitrates have dropped from about 1 to 0 in the last day, which could since the cleaning of the skimmer and the water change. But the phosphates have gone from .02 to .04 in the last day.

Here is what the tank looks like now

hair1.jpeg

hair2.jpeg

Manually harvest what you can. Believe it or not, all that algae is cleaning your water up right now.

Phosphates can be pulled using GFO, but since you've got nitrates, let the algae do it. It should pull both from the water. Do you have a macroalgae fuge on this system?

Where is the rock from? Did you cook it?

My rock looked like that from BRS because I didn't cook it.

I borred a sea hare for a week and he mowed it all down. You may want to try one of those for a week or two, then pass it on once the HA is all gone.

Tom, I tried manually harvesting it and the algae is so fine I can barely get anything off of the rocks.

It's all Marco rock, I started with Marco last time and didn't have a problem.

I have bio pellets but the are not rolling very well right now so I need to open the reactor and see what's going on in there.

I added 10 Mexican turbos today so I am going to see what happens over the weekend, if they don't look like they are doing anything I will see of anyone has a sea hare I can borrow.

Give the 8 away before they die. Otherwise, they just release the nutrients right back into the water column!

The HA looks normal to me. If you hadn't bought corals, you could let the HA grow for several weeks to completion of the Algal Cycle, then buy a Herbivore of some sort. Invertebrate herbs will most likely die at this point, so don't kill them unnecessarily.

Patience young grasshopper!

• 6 months later...

So its been quite awhile since I have any type of update on the tank.  Well it has stabelized out and it has been running w/o issue for the last couple months.  Now the corraline is taking off and the one piece of sps I have has suddenly started to encrust pretty quickly.  I am running carbon and GFO in reactors and have a kalk reactor running as well.

The fish I currently have:

Yellow Tang

Purple Tang

Hippo Tang

Pair of Swallowtail Angels

Foxface

Exquisite Wrasse

Solon Wrasse

Lubbocks Wrasse

Pair of Rhomboid Wrasse

Pair of Ocellarus Clowns

Diamond Goby