My 220 gallon rebuild

MBVette

What don't you like about it? I guess the openings in the top could be a little restrictive. Could they build it so the top part could be completely removed if desired? I see seams on both sides just under the side panels. Is that for the same idea?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys touched on my 2 areas of concern.

1. The lack of openings at the top.

2. The symetry. I know why he did the cabinets on the bottom that way (the sump ends in between the 2 right cabinets, so there is support there) but I think I would perfer 4 doors across the front? Or maybe 5 of that smaller size door if it fits? I need to find out the dimensions of that small door.

I think I am going to go back and ask him dimensions on the doors and to see about access to open up the whole top maybe as secondary access. The doors the way they are (maybe different size) and maybe a way to open the whole top

Personally I would go with two large doors on the bottom, like on my stand and for the top either two doors or one opening that lifts up on hinges like outlaw is going to do on his.

So this is what I just sent over to him. I was going to ask for 4 doors, but I like the idea of two big doors.

Looks close, just a couple questions hopefully you can answer.

1. Im not sure how I feel about the lack of symmetry on the bottom; is it possible to have 2 big cabinet doors? And what would be the dimensions of those? And to go with that, what are the dimensions of the doors the way they are rendered?

2. Then on the top. As you did I like the symmetry to the bottom cabinet doors, so whatever we decide on the bottom I think doors like that would look good on the top. But is it possible to make the top row of cabinets removeable or have it so they can fully open for when mainenance needs to be done. Im not sure what you can come up with on that, but I think you said something about using bolts that look nice that can be used for the times when I really need access to the tank? But I would only need that access to the very top, the sides are good as is.

3. Im sure the color is just for the rendering. But I just wanted to confirm that we are looking the same off-white color we used on the other cabinets and it will be plywood laminated on all sides.

Thanks

Scott

If you like symmetry, you'll hate different number of doors on bottom and top. Few, bigger doors that open all the way and/or remove is better.

Yeah I have to agree as well with the two larger doors for top/bottom. I understand the 3rd small door on the bottom due to the brace, but on top that door is seemingly useless. Even if having two doors means the brace is right inside the opening of the door when you open it you will still have better access and better symmetry/aesthetics from the outside.

Originally, I thought you would have had the side doors be taller, going almost all the way up and then had two large doors top and bottom for further access. I just wonder how difficult those side doors are going to make access if you really need to get in to do something with your plumbing...again we don't really know dimensions.

Also, with the bottom doors, if having them large and hinged seems weird, what about making them "faux" doors that are simply removable panels? That way you maintain the look of doors, but they don't get in the way swung all the way out when you need to get into the sump...

Just my 2 cents...

(edited)

I dont really care about opening the door and seeing a brace, nobody cares about aesthetics inside the doors.

As for the side doors, I dont know the dimensions but I know the opening is 9.5" on either side so I imagine it will be 8" opening or so. Sure there will not be much room to do work in there, but if *@ hits the fan I will be able to get to it from the top as well as the bottom to do the majority of the work; and a little bit on the sides. But I imagine those doors will be used to put the MP40's back on when they fall off.

Being that there are tons of kids here Im not sure how I feel about faux doors; I like the actual cabinet doors that I can put locks onto so the kids cant get into them. Honestly Im not sure how social services would feel about the doors just being removable and not locked all the time.

Edited by MBVette

Just got this back from the cabinet guy

I had to work around the 2x4s. The attached is a rear image and it will explain.

I had to follow the pattern on the top to try to make symmetrical.

Since we are using

So here is the new rendering. I do like the hinged top, I think that will work as it gives me access all the way across. For the bottom I am asking for 4 doors, the outside 2 open outside and the inside open towards the inside. Working the same as 2 big doors, but not having the look of two giant doors.

What do you guys think of this?

cabinet2.jpg

is the right side of the stand going to have a removable panel so that you could get in there if need be? If so, if it were mine, i would have him center the two larger doors and put a smaller door on each side to match the two smaller doors adjacent to the tank. i think that would flow better. But if the right side is going to be against a wall and there would be no way to get in there, the only option you have is to have it the way it is, or to make two larger doors on the bottom. Here is a pic of mine with 2 really large doors. Our tanks have the same dimensions. My two side panels are also removable if i need to get in from either end too. There is only about 18" of space there, but enough room to get in there if i needed too.

2268013D-5ECA-4FB6-8A68-C67D0B2A0915-1835-000003C2A84475BB.jpg

C0CFBE4D-5B14-4CF1-82EA-2327E59E8A8C-1835-000003C2B47C3D1A.jpg

Edited by epleeds

The bottom is not to what I would like done on that yet; the only thing they changed on their is the top. The bottom I want 4 doors that basically open like they are 2 big doors. Just not sure I liked the look of 2 doors, plus 45" for each door seems like a lot.

good idea adam. I will see if they can go all the way up with those side doors. I bet there is some structural supports there to support the top, but I will see what they say.

No, by them equaling the height of the tank it will present I think a softer less "complex" appearance to the eye...easier for the eye to track with from one side to the other. Subconsciously the brain would likely be more "agreeable" with this even without realization lol.

These are little kids were talking about, right.

These are little kids were talking about, right.

LOL, yeah mostly, but the parents and Scott get to look at it all the time too tongue.gif

Kids my azz, this is for me. Kids just make it so I have to lock the cabinet doors

Kids my azz, this is for me. Kids just make it so I have to lock the cabinet doors

Thats what I figured, I was just checking. lol

How are you going to keep all those finger prints off of it?