tpallas' 33g SPS Dropoff Nano

tpallas

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks will post an FTS soon once I clean up.

Adam just mounted the one piece with epoxy inbetween the wall rocks. The purple stag I just removed from the mount and epoxied it right into the rock. I've noticed some polyps glow bright green on it.....really cool piece! Both are looking great and GREAT values. Thanks again buddy. Purple plasma time is coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when Adam and I first linked up I wanted this to be a small and easy tank. That last about one week.

I'll post a FTS this weekend - easier when I'm here during the day with the white balance.

Cool. I like how it feels like there is going to be a ton of space to grow out. You can be strategic about high light and low light stuff.

Broke out the Nikon D40. It's just been so long since I've used it on aquariums....can anyone recommend good settings?

SPSFeb1_zpsd79d6677.jpg

Edited by tpallas

i've been getting some great advice that i can share. if you're not comfortable shooting in manual, shoot in aperture priority mode. start out at no less than f/8 and shoot in RAW. make your edits for wb, density, sharpness, etc in post and then upload to photobucket to share. if you don't have steady hands use a tripod for the through the glass shots. in full manual your exposure can be anywhere from 1/50 to 1/80 and aperture setting anywhere from f/8 to f/10.

at f/16 and higher you'll lose a lot of light so you can bump your ISO up to 640 or 800 that way you can keep your shutter speed up.  for SPS, shutter speed is not that much of an issue like when shooting LPS or fish.

g'luck and look forward to more photos!

i've been getting some great advice that i can share. if you're not comfortable shooting in manual, shoot in aperture priority mode. start out at no less than f/8 and shoot in RAW. make your edits for wb, density, sharpness, etc in post and then upload to photobucket to share. if you don't have steady hands use a tripod for the through the glass shots. in full manual your exposure can be anywhere from 1/50 to 1/80 and aperture setting anywhere from f/8 to f/10.

at f/16 and higher you'll lose a lot of light so you can bump your ISO up to 640 or 800 that way you can keep your shutter speed up. for SPS, shutter speed is not that much of an issue like when shooting LPS or fish.

g'luck and look forward to more photos!

Awesome thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Let me know when you've got some time, I'll bring my Nikon by and you can emulate the settings.

A lot of it is intuitive for me, so it's hard to throw pointers when it's been all guesswork for the past year.

Interested to see how those stunners work out on the fuge!

Quick update, SPS colonies are all doing very well and encrusting. Great success! Will try to post update pics this weekend, swamped at work.

Lol! Buy FYI all our acros are dipped and inspected with magnify-glass with a glass. We even scrub the bases, pull out all the crabs and isolate any acros that look questionable in our coral QT. When we get a box of acros in the entire process takes at least 4 hours.

Lol! Buy FYI all our acros are dipped and inspected with magnify-glass with a glass. We even scrub the bases, pull out all the crabs and isolate any acros that look questionable in our coral QT. When we get a box of acros in the entire process takes at least 4 hours.

Thanks for that info. Good to know.

Still, always dip, it's buyers responsibility, no matter who it came from!

Dude, have you filled up that nano since I saw you last?!