Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wish ridetheducati lived closer. i'd give him a case of beer to advise me. and he wouldn't be MEAN about it! :cry:/>

never offered me a case of beer....guess i dont have any good sps advice :laugh:

I like the new rockwork....think it looks darn good. old one looked nice too but this is a subtle nice looking change...i still have that reflector if you want to try it out and see the coverage difference.

fish look nice and happy as well.

Clean the back glass would ya...sorry had to...always get taht said when i post a pic

never offered me a case of beer....guess i dont have any good sps advice :laugh:/>

oh sssh. speaking of your in-person advice however, I have a few SPS pieces that need to be classified as "dead" or "bleeched". I can't tell the difference. :)

Does it really matter.?

Yes. If they are bleached, but still alive, they can stay and recover. If they are dead, I am going to remove them and throw them away. A few are hard to tell...

Ryan I've been watching your thread pretty much since you've started and here's my advice from a fellow person who just can't leave it alone...

I left my tank in mid august and moved 1600 miles down to miami and left my mom and my apex in charge of my tank, she feeds once a day, keeps an eye out for fallen coral and changes the carbon/gfo once every 2-4 weeks. My corals have gone NUTS since I left, as I stopped messing with things and just let it grow. My acros which refused to grow are now about to hit the glass after only 3 months...I know it feels like you can always make something better, make a change to just this that or the other, but why not actually try stepping back. I think thats the only thing you havent done. Your methods, equipment etc can only do so much, but in the end, the only thing that causes coral growth is you guessed it...the CORALS growing. Not adjusting a reflector or a dosage or anything. Just letting nature be nature.

So there's my more than 2 cents, I look forward to watching your tank grow as I think it has a ton of potential.

Funny thing is, I rarely post on my own build thread.. Its just not this exciting.. Seriously, Ryans build is my favorite thing on all of WAMAS.

I love you man.

3622051_0cc4aee9-ba27-49a1-9c7a-8d09fe58ab82-funny-animated-pictures-23.gif

Seriously whats with the cats...? You always post cat stuff.. Oh, that explains it, youre one of those weird cat people..

Would you rather see a whale tail?

funny-animation-4.gif

I have an aiptasia infestation that's starting to get out of hand.

What approach should I take to get rid of it all?

I tried lime juice injections at first, but I can't keep up with them that way.

I already have 5 peppermint shrimp from LA that are supposed to be the aiptasia-eating kind.

I haven't been able to find anyone with aiptasia eating nudi's around.

I am leaning towards buying some more peppermints from LA?

I think the initial aiptasia came on some chaeto I received. I was thinking I could get 17 more, maybe add 2 to the fuge, to eat it at the source, and then 20 in the tank above might actually starting eating the darn things?

for the most part if the pepermints have anything else to eat they will eat that first and leave aiptasia alone...i dont buy into the entire they work all the time kinda deal.

to sell them as aiptasia eating kind is freaking stupid...suprised you bought into it.....it reminds me of hte statefarm commercial..everything on the internet is true...bonjour

Nudi's only work if they can get to the aiptasia before they starve...aka if you have 17 in a 150g tank its likely they wont find the aiptasia.....fish will pick at them, pumps destroy them etc there definately eat aiptasia but they may not clear you tank like your hoping

injecting sometimes works and sometimes makes it worse.

manual removal is the only real way ive found....and you really need to make sure you get the "foot" of the aiptasia...treat it like an anem and really dig around the rock its on if you can...that will kill it....i dont buy this nonsense of if there is a single cell left blah blah blah...ive killed plenty of aiptasia i was trying to keep alive.\

I prefer tweezers, try to get the base of the aiptasia...if it pulls in try to DIG and i mean dig as in take rock with it into where it has receeded and get as much of it out as you can....then for good measure cover with kalk...turn off all pumps for 30 min or so and let the kalk bake it.

Edited by Der ABT

what about a filefish? Im sure someone has one here that will lend them out

I have one you can have/borrow Ryan. He will also nip at some LPS, but doesn't bother SPS.