LFS going out of business.....

johnnybv

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a shame we live in the age of entitlement. People are so lazy, so cheap, and so unappreciative.

Just remember this... When all your LFS are gone, and online is the only thing left, there prices will rise bc they dont have to compete with LFS' anymore. So keep shopping and praising your online fish stores, because im sure there going to be there for you in the end.

Unfortuantely it seems the vast majority of WAMASers are genuinely CHEAP( which is different from thrifty). Sorry, but we all know its true.

That is true, since are. Just make sure you don't confuse hard working and short on cash with stingy. Some of us get in the hobby with promises that we can afford it. And find out we can't when we are scherzi in charge of caring for stressed livestock. Were just doing our best with what we have. That said, I still paid over $100 extra on multiple things at an LFS over am online shop because these guys do a great job and I want them to succeed. Not just stay, but do well.

Also many online sites are just LFS branching out. Not some coral walmart. That its what I would love to see with our area LFS. If they handled a larger amount of livestock, maybe they could get the fish at a lower price. Even build a distribution hub near a cheaper supply of fish and ship it themselves. But the money involved would be huge. Casting a wider net with the inter"net"would be what my vote goes for.The best part about it is that they do need to compete more in service and price. Which may help with fish prices (doubtful). But at the same time for ask we know it could be impossible to compete with another companies prices because of location. Which brings back service. I welcome the competition, at the same time its great to have a couple shops emailing me, keeping my corral love alive..

Great, I get to respond to this since I am home and the wife is still at work.

Its a shame we live in the age of entitlement. People are so lazy, so cheap, and so unappreciative.

Trockafella, lets not be so quick to judge. Are people really lazy because they choose not to drive 3-4 hours to LFS'? Your whole post actually hit quite a nerve because you're assuming because my wife and others gave feedback that we don't still support the lfs'. We have gotten probably 90% of the things we have in our tanks either from lfs or wamas members. We choose to make the trek even though we waste gas and time because we understand that lfs' could use our support. She was pointing out that there are many barriers that make online stores more appealing. I'm curious, if I choose to go with a strictly online store that is local is everybody still going to be upset because its not brick and mortar? In fact the most genuine and kind pms we've received have been from those very stores, and they have bent over backwards to accommodate our wants and needs.

So I ask you, are the people here who decide to give their business to these stores lazy and cheap just because they don't have a convential storefront? These people are still small businesses that support the local community. Does it make them less human because you do most of your business over the phone as opposed to in person? I guarantee if I asked he would have no problem meeting and simply going over what is best for our situation. I have NOTHING against brk and F&F, and have been at both locations numerous times even though they are out of the way, but when somebody can do all of these things, make it more convenient, and go above and beyond with customer service I don't understand how you can say we're unappreciative of what lfs' have done and continue to do for this wonderful hobby.

Just remember this... When all your LFS are gone, and online is the only thing left, there prices will rise bc they dont have to compete with LFS' anymore. So keep shopping and praising your online fish stores, because im sure there going to be there for you in the end.

I disagree. Even if all the lfs' were to suddenly go out of existence there would definitely be a short term surge in pricing (if everybody chose to gouge) due to the outflux of supply and demand staying flat. But over time, probably a few months those same online vendors would account for it and simply stock more fish and prices would gradually go back down. And why are you talking as if these ideas have to be mutually exclusive. Why can a LFS not have an online presence. I've even contemplated making a front end for a database so some local fish stores could become more competitive if those chose to. I understand it is expensive to hire and programmer and web developer to get everything up and going and that's why I think maybe some of the programmers and software designers that are almost certainly on here should get together and help them out, even if it means working for free. THAT is what will make these stores even more successful, not slandering somebody you have no idea about.

I have dealt with and got to know both Johnny and Sean, all I can say is there both great. There not just there to sell you things, but to help you succeed and truly enjoy the hobby. People are complianing that they dont have what you want in stock, well have you reached out to them about that item. They can and will get you what you want. Sean recently ordered and made sure I was getting the healthiest fish in the exact size I wanted, he even asked if he could keep it in QT for an extra week to ensure its health and well being. So when did your online store do that for you.? They didnt, because they dont care, your just another grain of sand on the beach to them. Johnny has been there with parts when I needed them, both of these guyts will stay late waiting on you, get there early if need be, spend all the time you want trying to help you and answer your questions. They dont charge you for this, and maybe they should. I too, value my dollar and how I spend it, thats why I dont deal with some of or LFS, but several of them go above and beyond to help out there customers.

They are both great people, and I understand what you are saying. I just think you have a slightly myopic view. Not all online storefronts are on the other side of the country, and some count on local purchases to account for the majority of their income. I won't harp on this since you thought I was referring to the larger online sites like liveaquaria or bluezoo. Even then though we have done some group buys and we have been impressed with the customer service we have received, but I would never think about going exclusively with them. I WOULD think about going exclusively with another LFS if it offered the same kind of services that some online storefronts do (not trying to get a deal here). As far as pumps etc. I have stated before that I don't mind having a little markup on equipment because they have to support their employees and premises, but I really couldn't convince myself to spend 30% more when that is money I could spend on fish.

Unfortuantely it seems the vast majority of WAMASers are genuinely CHEAP( which is different from thrifty). Sorry, but we all know its true.

I'm sorry, that is a pretty ignorant thing to say. I will leave it at that, but please remember there are viewpoints other than your own and even though you feel strongly about a subject doesn't mean everybody else is cheap or a bad person. Sorry, we most definitely do not know it's true. (I can only speak about my wife because I haven't frequented these forums too much)

I am a regular at my LFS (Aquarium One) - I probably stop in once a week or so and purchase what I can from them. I hope they prosper and stay in business for many years to come. When I worked in VA and it was only an extra half hour out to BRK, I was a regular there and I certainly only wish the best for Johnny and his staff.

Having said that, I have to say that if the all of the lfs in the area disappeared tomorrow, it probably would not significantly impact the hobby for me. About the only things that I would really have to make more of an effort to get would be salt and frozen food. I know that sounds harsh, but it is true. The internet has changed lots of small special interest type businesses. I know since I used to manage a local independent bookstore. When the chain bookstores starting multiplying, we thought it would be the end of the world as we knew it. Small publishers would fail and large houses would only publish what they could sell to the masses without regard for quality, blah, blah, blah... Then came internet book sales and that was even worse... so now, there are pretty much no local independent bookstores, the chains are also mostly gone, and guess what, there is more access to a wider variety of books in a wider variety of formats than ever before. I do appreciate that this analogy is not perfect, but I think it is relevant. Progress can be painful.

There is absolutely a convenience factor in being able to run out to your lfs to pick up fish, salt and food. For the rest of it, imo, it is just as simple to buy online. I have had lots of success purchasing livestock online, especially when I want something specific and we all know the difference in equipment prices. Maybe it is that I keep lots of water and when I am shopping for equipment, it is not likely to be something a lfs will stock anyway so my choices are: to order it through the shop, pay more, wait longer and still have to go pick it up - or buy it online, pay less and have it show up at my house sooner. This may be less of an issue when you are buying things that a lfs will generally stock.

As far as depending on your lfs in an emergency, that is what friends and club members are for:) I have never seen anyone post on this board with an emergency that members didn't step up and help. I am also a little paranoid about equipment failure and have at least some kind of spare for every piece of life support equipment I use. I think that this a good general rule.

As for lfs being a source of new people in the hobby, didn't almost all of us start out because we had a geeky friend who kept fish? And if we had a friend starting in the hobby, would we send them to lfs alone to get started? As for prices on the internet going up because they no longer have to compete with lfs on price, that is not likely to happen since they are still competing with each other.

So while I shop at my lfs regularly and hope they prosper, I also hope their plans for the future are built on solid business plans and not on depending on the goodwill of their customer base.

Not sure what situation you went through that was bad, we have had so few of them. Please PM me to refresh my memory. As far as knowing what we have we bust our butts to get the stocklist updated weekly, and I usually even post the link here on wamas, dont know what else I can do to tell you what we have.

John

Excellent point. I checked BRK's stocklist and saw they had a lawnmower blenny. I drove from Leesburg and bought it. And while I was there, I picked up a few knick knacks and a Mag 12 and drove home happy. In this case, I went online, click click click and saw what I wanted and got it.

Soooo....is this thread done yet?

Soooo....is this thread done yet?

NOT Hardly! The crowd that only has time to check WAMAS on the weekends has not had a chance to read all the posts. So tomorrow night when folks are settling in to their third glass of wine and peanut butter and honey sandwich they are going to comment. And the comments will be alcohol induced and sticky!

Can't Wait! :lol2: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NOT Hardly! The crowd that only has time to check WAMAS on the weekends has not had a chance to read all the posts. So tomorrow night when folks are settling in to their third glass of wine and peanut butter and honey sandwich they are going to comment. And the comments will be alcohol induced and sticky!

Did the wine come in a box? Sticky from the peanut butter or sticky from the honey? I regret getting a 13 ft xmas tree. I hate lugging that thing out of the basement every year.

LOL. Ditto.

Found this last night.

Priceless.

http://www.wamas.org..._1entry369835

I will stop now.

Want to know what happened? We went to BRK and they didn't have it.

No reason to stop, why don't you find another post? and while you're at it go ahead and respond to my earlier post in this thread.

I'm all for people digging through her post history to find instances where she went to a lfs, must have been difficult since most of our purchases have been from them.

-Justin

Edited by YiatzOfEden

I got his point. He was calling her out because of her posts about BRK, which was wrong. We don't call each other out. I think her posts were a little off color too and a tad strong for someone who hasn't spent too much time getting to know our sponsors. Justin did a knee jerk in defense of his wife and this is how things get out of hand.

I think if people can't be neutral in situations like these they should not post. I also think this thread is only going to conitue to go down hill. The only person that should be taking any of this personal is the poster. Where this has gone was not his intent, I'm sure.

I'm turned off at this nonsense. It's a serious topic where folks had the opportunity to give suggestions on how our LFS could climb out of the hole this economy has gotten them in so they could survive or just make it a point to make more visits and spend more money. The holidays are coming up. These small business owners have familes, homes and employess that they need to take care of. They are hurting. I'm certain that they have sleepless nights over all of this. This kind of nonsense bickering doesn't belong in a post like this. It's callous.

Someone should really CLOSE THIS THREAD already.

What is your point and why do you find that priceless?

Not until we get to 200 posts! I'll behave ;) -- Like I've said in every post I've made, I think BRK is one of the best lfs' around and I mean no offense to their store if any was taken.

-J

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Jm2c but, store's like F&F and BRK are the one's that will survive thru this economy, because they go the extra mile to help there customers=friends.

Its the sub-par stores that will have problems surviving.

I second that motion!

Deadhorse.jpg

P.S. I'm opening the honey jar now and I'm pretty sure we can get one of the admins to renumber the posts so hypertech can claim #200. Come on, let's put this poor horse to rest before someone gets their feelings hurt.

Edited by YBeNormal

Man, I have been waiting for a good opportunity to use LMGTFY well... that was delivered perfectly!

Because this thread is in BRK's section the mod and officer teams normally don't moderate here unless it is a major issue.