LFS going out of business.....

johnnybv

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it really that bad?

I would have no problem having a beer with anybody in this thread. I don't feel slighted in the least; it was a good discussion for a touchy subject, and for the most part it seemed to unfold without malice involved. Maybe I missed some posts that were deleted?

-J

I hope mine was not one of the posts that you think was ridiculing John or the goal of small businesses. All I was trying to say is that there is an elephant in the room, and people need to look at it. Is the LFS business model really going to survive? if so, how will it have to change to function in this era? To offer an unscientific opinion, I think an equilibrium will be reached, just like when Petsmart and Petco hit the scene many years ago.

In terms of supporting small business, most online shops are small businesses. Look at our list of sponsors, the majority of which do most of their business online. None of them are megacorporations. I think the threat of global domination by LiveAquaria is artificial.

So, I am trying to convince a friend to take me to Blue Ribbon Koi today. It is gonna be my first time at the store. I am excited to see this great LFS that everyone loves!!!

I checked the stock list online and I might get a six line wrasse along with some mangroves :) Yay!!!

My point was not that people were offering critiques and suggestions, it was that people were offended by what was being said and attacked, so Dave, you weren't on the list. I hadn't been on in a couple of weeks due to some things going on at home and popped on and saw this and was bothered by what I saw (that includes things that were made invisible).

if you guys are telling me distributors won't ship products directly to the customer, then dealing with the wrong distributor or something isn't right there. i can understand livestock not being directly shipped to the customer, but other products like lights and salt. doesn't make sense.

if you guys are telling me distributors won't ship products directly to the customer, then dealing with the wrong distributor or something isn't right there. i can understand livestock not being directly shipped to the customer, but other products like lights and salt. doesn't make sense.

Distibutors and manufacturers should not be selling directly to the public, they sell to dealers who in turn sell retail. If I am carrying a product, that the distibutor is selling to the public, he is now competing with me and can obviously beat my pricing, and is in direct competition with me, not ethical business and I will not carry that line.

I am going to close this thread now, I believe I got whatever positives I am going to get out of it, and I cant spend the next 3 days monitoring to make sure it doesnt get nasty again. If you have any positive feedback that can help your lfs please PM me. A few ideas that I did get will be implemented over the next few weeks.

thanks

John