What happened to WAMAS meetings and more..?

trockafella

There has not been a real meeting in some time, nor POTM or TOTM.. Any good reason why.?

POTM and TOTM are dependent on volunteers. TOTM has been suspended until we can get a committee together again. Not 100% sure on POTM.

We did have a fall meeting and social in October though it was lightly attended. Winter meeting should be in January.

Any good reason why.?

OUCH!!!

You probably didnt mean it that way but that sounded kinda harsh!

I would imagine life outside of WAMAS is the reason. Those things take a lot of time, energy and effort from a small group of dedicated volunteers. Family matters and work, probabaly won the battle for their limited free time. Just my guess though...

Normally we have quarterly meetings.

There was a lot of time and effort put into coordinating the TONMO conference and the "zoo thing" social that followed. It was decided by the officers a few months beforehand to use the conference in lieu of a regular WAMAS meeting because of this greater-than-normal level of effort going into the conference. So, yeah, people have lives, but certain people, namely Doug and Dave, gave a lot of themselves to make WAMAS a good host to the TONMO conference.

We'll resume our regular meeting schedule later in January. Keep your eyes peeled for an announcement soon as we're just now confirming the date with the speaker and trying to make arrangements for the site.

Thank you Tom for the answer. Thats all I was looking for. Not sure why what I said what taken out of context, or considered harsh. I'll try to sugarcoat my questions next time. Im looking forward to the next meeting, its been a while.. Oops, sorry didnt mean that in the wrong way..

BTW, the TONMO conference had national visibility, perhaps international. For the ceph-crowd, it was the place to be. It was probably low on our radar, because we're more coral-geeks than ceph-geeks.

Thank you Tom for the answer. Thats all I was looking for. Not sure why what I said what taken out of context, or considered harsh. I'll try to sugarcoat my questions next time. Im looking forward to the next meeting, its been a while.. Oops, sorry didnt mean that in the wrong way..

Look Trock, I am not starting a pissing match here I just thought it sounded a little harsh. As I said, you probably didnt mean it that way. And apparently you didnt.

Here is a general observation that I have noticed about WAMAS: It has solid structural support in terms of infrastructure. However, bracing up that solid infrastructure are key folks doing a lot of behind the scenes effort with little (or in some cases no) visible product.

(This is not directed at any individual) This is our club and it is what YOU make it. If you want to see something happen that isn't and you are willing to devote some time, effort, and perserverance, then start working to make it happen. The club leadership may steer you a little, but I bet they would be cheering you on the whole way.

Yeah like the guy who organized the fish food party. That was awesome, thanks man!

Thanks for reminding me about that. I have to go get mine, which is at Cozy Clownfish....

Ron -- I was really only joking... Pissing matches get to messy for me.

Tom -- Thanks for getting my poor sense of humor, and nice on the Trock-ism (btw I have more...)

Steven -- Your really nice big tank offends me, and I will come for the lokani one day, and my food this weeekend..

To all others offended, get over it.!!

As far as POTM goes it kinda lost interest, and I got a little frustrated with it because of that. We have tons of people in the club, but we only get a tiny handful of people that make a submission. I think the last month it was done there were only 3 submission for the entire month, the month before that we didnt even have as many votes as we had submissions.

This seems to happen every year, the same exact thing happendend the last 2 years about the same time of year. We get busy with summer activities and the traffic here to website starts to fall off a good bit. When it got really slow I took a break for a few months and then started running it again near the begining of the year.

This year I really tried to get as many poeple involved as possible, making the topics pretty simple so that anyone with any amount of experience could participate. I also tried to push the fact that we give away raffle tickets for the meetings, for nothing more then to try to lure people in with a prize. That seemed to work for awhile, and it was great meeting members at the meetings.

Im open to any suggestion any has on how to change things, and as always please send me topics you think we should try. The last few months we had were all topics that people suggested. If anyone also wants to help I wouldnt mind that either, Its not really that much work, only about 30 minutes a month, but someone with fresh ideas couldnt hurt.

People used to do tank tours - no one does that anymore. I really enjoyed the potluck dinner charity auction thing (can;t remember who hosted) - I think it would be nice to do that once in a while rather than just once (I know there are plenty of good causes out there).

Edited by treesprite

A holiday potluck sounds fantastic... I wish I didn't live in a tiny house in the city with no parking!!! Now... if we could just talk someone in the say Alexandria/Fairfax/Springfield area to say "yay" we could make that happen!!!

tonmo?

petland social?

brk social?

I'd love to do a holiday potluck, need a house.

Next meeting Jan 21st...

Surely there is someone in the club who would host if it didn't mean paying for the food and doing the cleanup. Or, would it be possible to find a location like we do for meetings?

Or, would it be possible to find a location like we do for meetings?

Those locations are usually leased by the club (often one to several hundred dollars per meeting) and your right back at the root problem, finding volunteers to do the planning, setup and cleanup duties.

I have a house and some time off between the holidays. I my street could take about a dozen cars and my house can hold 30+ easily. I would be happy to cook and host but my tank looks like crap. I am having a bit of a bryopsis challenge, but everybody could bring a toothbrush and we could kill it.

I have a house and some time off between the holidays. I my street could take about a dozen cars and my house can hold 30+ easily. I would be happy to cook and host but my tank looks like crap. I am having a bit of a bryopsis challenge, but everybody could bring a toothbrush and we could kill it.

THERE is a unique idea - a tank cleaning party! Everyone bring a toothbrush and grab a piece of liverock... if you don't scrub, you don't eat!