What the heck are these?!?! Internal parasites on NPS LPS?

encideought

All right, this is the weirdest thing I have ever seen in my aquarium. Last night I was feeding my sun corals and I noticed some weird light-colored spots on my black sun coral. I stared at them for a while and noticed that THEY STARTED TO MOVE. The spots are INSIDE the coral tissue. I've had this coral for probably over a year and it has branched quite a few times and I think it's grown pretty well. I have never seen these spots before, I'm almost positive the black sun coral did not have them a while ago, and I haven't been able to see the same spots on my other sun corals.

I've been intensively feeding my sun corals because they have basically stopped growing and my dendro is even starting to have to have some tissue recession from the base up. They are all eating great (especially the dendro) and last night is the first time the black sun coral has opened up for a good meal in probably a week or two.

Here is a pic of the spots:

gallery_2632154_724_502372.jpg

Here is the

So what the heck are these things? They move like flatworms and they're really quick. Has anyone heard of internal flatworm parasites? Who would be the authority on this kind of thing that I could ask? Would a freshwater dip work on internal parasites? I'm having a strange mix of terror and curiosity...

Thanks!

Nick

Sun coral larvae?

This was going to be my guess too.

I had parasites inside of a cabbage leather coral long ago that looked similar to those. They were also internal, or at least I believe them to be. They didn't do anything to the coral, though, at least that I noticed.

(edited)

What were you feeding them? Any chance it's the actual food they just ate? Just throwing that out there...

I just feed them frozen stuff, mostly mysis, sometimes adding a little of Scott's food. When I'm lazy I'll give them pellets.

After looking through a bunch of stuff my best guess is that they're planula too. At least I should say that's what I hope they are. The coral doesn't seem sick or diseased, it's actually been a pretty big pig for a long time. I hope they're friendly, but I guess there's no way to tell other than give it time and see if the spots go away and:

a) the coral dies or

b) I find new polyps somewhere

Cool, I hope this means they're happy, I can't imagine where something like this would have come from, so I'm pretty optimistic that they are supposed to be there. I'll try to get better videos and post if I'm successful. Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Edited by encideought

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm pretty sure they're larvae. I tried to take a movie of them moving but my camera just isn't good enough.

Here's one about to leave:

gallery_2632154_724_403536.jpg

Here are a few crawling around the container I was feeding the sun corals in:

gallery_2632154_724_480124.jpg

I sucked up the ones I could find and put them into a little container with some rocks:

gallery_2632154_724_84219.jpg

After a day or two it looks like they attached to the rocks:

gallery_2632154_724_111272.jpg

I just checked yesterday and it looks like small polyps are starting to form. I'll try to get some pics in the next couple days.

That's so cool. Keep going with taking and posting the photographs. It's a neat record. Congratulations.

That is awesome, Nick!

Great photos!

Please do! I've got at least three types of snails that spawn in my tank....wish I could get some pics of these tiny little babies. Even my bristle worms spawned....I need a better camera!

Edited by LanglandJoshua

you can see them a little bit, definitely looks like a polyp. I wonder how long till they start to take on a darker color.

Great pictures. You can definitely see the polyps. Keep up the good work!

Picture of the month!

I can see the polyps nicely. I think it would be cool if you brought them into the lab but I also fear a slight change in temp or another parameter during the transport might cause them to die. This is a delicate stage they are in.