125g Background Color-what do you like/recommend?

Annap729

okay, so im looking for suggestions on the color for the back of my tank. also, what type of paint or solution for this issue doe you guys recommend? it's going to be a reef tank.

Black, makes the colors of your fish and corals stand out better. For a glass tank you can just about use any paint. Latex paint is easy to use and also remove from glass with just a simple razor blade if you ever want to change it. The finish of the paint doesnt matter, flat, satin, semi gloss will all look the same when you see it through the glass. Lots of people also use spray paint such as Krylon Fusion, many even use this on plumping that goes into the tank as well, its perfectly safe to use as long as you let it dry before you put it in any water.

If you have an acrylic tank I would go with window tinting, you dont want to paint it.

Get the best of both worlds and go with a deep blue. I saw a tank on RC where the owner painted the top third of the tank a lighter blue and faded to a dark blue as he went down the tank. Really cool. You might want to do some searching and see what you like.

i was curious about this...what color does the vinyl at a sign shop come in...i really want something with very pale blue for the next tank.

Guest thefishman65

I had a 1/8 inch thick sheet of black acrylic behind my tank for a long time. I cut real tight and the frame held it in place. Never noticed any salt since it was thinner then the lip of the tank.

They still make an aquarium background from Ocean Wonders, it's some type of vinyl which goes on with water and sticks to the back of the tank very well. I've seen it at House of Tropicals and you can order it online

I painted mine purple with a can of Krylon. It blended well with the coraline and now I can't tell it's been painted.

Sign cut-Vinyl has issues-it has glue on the back which will need to be removed. Depending on whether you like removing paint or glue would be the main issue. I think sprayonblack is the color. Wish I figured this out before I moved the darn coffin into my office.

My 75 has a white backround and my fish glow against it. Stunning effect.

Pics! I'd like to see that one.

Sign cut-Vinyl has issues-it has glue on the back which will need to be removed. Depending on whether you like removing paint or glue would be the main issue. I think sprayonblack is the color. Wish I figured this out before I moved the darn coffin into my office.

Glue? It is an adhesive like a sticker. Why would you need to remove it? Even if you ever wanted to peel it off, it doesnt leave a residue. Not the vinyl I get at least.

Comes in a variety of colors. Your pick, mine was black.

Edited by magnetic1

Pics! I'd like to see that one.

Someday when I get a better camera, but I'm changing it to a foam/rock wall when I upgrade to a 280 at the end of this month clap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Sign grade vinyl usually leaves some type of adhesive behind, but maybe not on glass. We used it on painted surfaces and it always left stuff behind. I guess you can use some adhesive remover though.

I like jasons idea of a strip of painted acrylic that you can paint two different colors and swap, Bc I can change it with a full tank.

I guess it won't matter once the corralline algae covers it all.

Sign grade vinyl usually leaves some type of adhesive behind, but maybe not on glass. We used it on painted surfaces and it always left stuff behind. I guess you can use some adhesive remover though.

I like jasons idea of a strip of painted acrylic that you can paint two different colors and swap, Bc I can change it with a full tank.

I guess it won't matter once the corralline algae covers it all.

Never had an issue on glass. Could also be the quality of vinyl used. If anything is leftover on glass though, a razor with windex makes short work of it.

Black for a reef. I just painted a tank with Krylon Fusion, gave it 2 coats and looks good.

Black Krylon Fusion from Wal-mart is what I like to do as well.