New B and New Tank

matt bills

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting another tanks setup This is what I got last night 350 cash

120 AGA 4X2X2 2 corner overflows with returns little dirty in the overflows. Tanks pretty clean missing one return

Mag 12 return pump very clean

Euro Reef Protien Skimmer CS ES Series very clean

Square calcium regulator

Light system 2 MH and 2 Compact bulbs need changed. Forgot to look at the watts this morning before leaving for work

6 Powerheads Clean

UV sterilizer. have 2 new bulbs

1. I am going to clean the tank with vinager the overflows are really dirty.

2. I have to order some return column pipe it was missing one.

3. Build the Stand

Any words of advise or recommendation?

Buy a bulk head/and loc line locally and make your own return, the rest of the parts can be found at thome depot and the price tends to be cheaper to build your own.

Those bulbs are going to cost you a pretty penny, if you have a little extra cash I would opt for LED lighting now, list the fixture on craigslist and use the cash you get from the fixture sale, the money you save on bulbs, and some cash out of pocket to get the leds now. You're going to have to replace those PC bulbs and MH bulbs minumum yearly, some times every 9 months.

Building a stand shouldn't be too hard but I'd ask for some help from someone experienced in doing stands.

I didn't see anything about a sump on there, what are you going to do for a sump?

Thanks I will buy the bulk head and loc line locally and make the return myself.

What led system will support a reef?

I didnt get a sump yet I am look for one.

I would consider an old scratched up 55 gal or 40 gal breeder.

The LED that will support your tank is going to depend on what you want to grow, in this club fish guy and zygote are the people who seem to know the most, check the classifieds, I think zygote listed a bunch of LED stuff

i assume you may be talking about the space between the double wall of the overflows? if so the answer for me is no, too much of a pita, and not enough of a benefit

I plugged the four Overflow holes filled the tank and dumped vinager in the tank and will let that site and see if brakes down some of the calcuim or salt in the overflows they were caked. I will see if that helps clean it out.

Also use a power head to circulate the water, unless you dumped a TON of vinigar in there its going to take a couple of days, after a couple-few days, use a credit card to try and scrape it off.

An addition of Microbacter 7 could help the underlying bacterial cycle move along. The stuff is amazing in a new tank.

Thank you

What will this do I have not started my cycle I am just clean the tank.

The tank is on my garage floor filled with water and vinegar trying to get the calcium and salt build up off my corner overflows.

Will this help with the cleaning?

I think you'll be OK, Matt. I ran a 20 gallon sump on my first 90 gallon aquarium. Really, it's just a place to put things like heaters, skimmers, etc. The extra water volume is really nice and helps with stability, of course, so bigger can be better, but I think 30 will be fine for your setup.

That looks like what I know of as slime, I could be wrong. But I have lots of it. In multiple colors.

It is a filter feeder, and seems to like dark areas where it does not need to compete with photosynthetic animals/plants. Beyond that I know little of it.

Yep, I agree, probably a sponge. It could also be a tunicate (cant tell for sure from the picture), but my money is on sponge.