New B and New Tank

matt bills

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, just returning a favor. Thats why were here, everyone is learning, sharing, and helping! Just pass it on to someone who needs it when your done. :biggrin:

PUMPS will be here monday. Salinaty is high 1.030 working on that getting it down to 1.025. Seems like my water level keeps going low. How much evaperation do you all get in a day. I am going to add an ato post new pump install. I want to know what you all lose in water so i can get some sort of measurement?

thanks

Matt, are you topping off with freshwater (RO/DI)? If not - if you're topping off with salt water - you will get salinity creep. How are you measuring your salinity?

When I ran a standard 90 with a sump, I lost about 1 gallon per day. My old 180 (with 325 gallons in system) lost between 3 and 4 gallons per day.

Tom

yes i will be topping off ro/di water from a bucket for now. I though i had a leak but now i am pretty sure it is just evaporation. I am measuring by putting a piece of tap on the glass in the return chamber and seeing it go down.

Thank you

Matt

What are you using to measure salinity? Refractometer or hydrometer? If a hydrometer, you have to make sure that there aren't bubbles sticking to the needle that make it float higher. 1.030 is a touch high. I'd bring it down slowly over a week or so by replacing some tank water with RO/DI.

I just had one of my two heater flash on me with my hands out if the tank. When i unplugged it I removed it from the sump there was water on the inside of the heater. Man I am glad I didn't have my hands in the tank.

That is usually the effect, the cause is normally something like the water level falling and the glass getting too hot. Then the glass cracks and you get water inside. Water only has to be half way down the glass tube for that to happen. Sometimes not even that low, unless you have a busted seal.

This was an old heater that came with the tank. I bought a new one today and live rock. I think I have around 110 pounds of rock. When the tank is done cycleing, i have 30 pounds in my nano that will go in over time with coral on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was cleaning off my sand because I have some red stuff on it with bulb algea and lost a damsel. Most of upset the sand so much. Maybe a little cycle crap. I saw him going up to the top after I mixed it up. Nitrite. 1 ammonia. 25-.5

my 29 is so sensitive

That is why its suggested to run a bigger tank before you go small. I don't have time for tons of chemical tests all the time, so I got a bigger tank. Your 120 will be much easier. With the 29, just be gentle to it lol. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...