New B and New Tank

matt bills

Thanks i will take him out this is the first one i have seen.

I also did a 10 gallon water change this moring so i am hoping my amm has come down tonight.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i grow mushrooms, zoanthiids, and GSP with my lights?

I don't think you'll have any problem with these under your compact fluorescents.

If it's just for the weekend, you can probably just feed well in the days before and leave them be for a few days. That's what I do for short times like this. If I'm gone much longer, I use an auto feeder, like the Eheim 3581, and flake food.

I think that you'll find a lot of folks like the Eheim. I don't have much experience with any other. I actually own two of the 3581's myself.

• 4 weeks later...

There is really no right or wrong choice on flakes but Formula One by I think Ocean nutrition is a pretty favored foor and one I happen to like. Make sure to place your auto feeder so its feeding as far away from the overflow intake but where the fish can still easily reach the food drop zone.

I used some little food stuff Tom was giving away at the last meeting not sure what it was called. Tom do you remember.

My tank is doing good my Zoes are multipling that someone gave me. Thanks.

I used some little food stuff Tom was giving away at the last meeting not sure what it was called. Tom do you remember.

My tank is doing good my Zoes are multipling that someone gave me. Thanks.

They were a pelleted food from Premium Aquatics: Sera Marin granules.

• 2 weeks later...

After glueing a new coral to rock some slim came of it in thin lines. I hope I didn't hurt it.

Some corals, notably slimers, slime a lot when handled. It's not an issue.

Most recommendations that I've seen ask that you have at least 4' of tank width for a tang to swim. There should be plenty of rock for the tang to graze from. Don't mix tangs with similar body forms in a small tank as they'll likely fight unless you provide enough rock work to break up the open space.

I am going to look at this stuff

125 gal saltwater aquarium with twin overflows. Have pretty much everything you need except the stand. Includes protein skimmer, calcium reactor, uv aqualite metal halide lighting system, uv sterilizer, main pump, pH monitor, and tubing for connections. Tank ran great when I had it up. Sold in as is condition and you will need to pick it up here.

I will build the stand.

sound like a pretty good deal. 400 Anything i should look for? he told me that the protien skimmer was red Sea.

Here is a picture

http://www.wamas.org/forums/gallery/image/10949-possible-125-buy/

It looks like a good deal, but I think it will take you a bunch of work to get things in good running order (the downfall of many good deals!!).

Look at the seams of the tank, check for scratches in the glass (hard to see sometimes with a clean, dry tank... usually you can feel them better with your fingernails).

Pretty much count on replacing everything consumable (pH probes, both MH and UV sterilizer bulbs, etc.) and probably not really being able to tell the condition of equipment if it is dirty (sold as-is, so it probably is dirty).

For pumps I would take them apart and soak all of the parts in vinegar, check the impellors (especially needle wheels) for damage or deep scoring and repair/replace as necessary.

For the calcium reactor, check the condition of CO2 tubes (the date on the bottle if there is one), the condition of the media screens inside the chamber, and anything that is acrylic check for cracks or crazing.

Sump?

FWIW, I have had three Red Sea skimmers in my time and have never been able to make one work consistently well. IMHO, it is a good target for replacement prior to getting your new system going. Also, it seems that tubing is often very difficult to completely re-use since you often want things set up slightly different than previous owners.

Skimmers are important i will probably replace that with something better and i am thinking of a chiller since i see the fan in the background. The co2 tubes and calcium reactor I know nothing about so i will need that information you provided. I am not sure about the sump he said the tank was drilled with overflows and returns so i assuming that it would go to a sump. I am going this evening to look at it. any calcium reators better than others? they also said the tank has not been setup in a couple years. they thought the mh bulbs would need to be changed out. if the tank has salt creap i can clean that off this mineral oil or vinicorrect?

Thanks for you helps.