New B and New Tank

matt bills

I'm sure you can increase water flow cheaply by putting both pipes into the refugium. Or joining them into one. You will know how you want the water to flow best, once its in there. :biggrin: Most every question you have now will be answered once the water starts flowing. Besides, your first few months are all learning. Ask all you can!

When I set up a tank, I plan how I want the water to flow. Then I get it running, and find out how wrong I was. Sometimes...:laugh:

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

An overflow on your tank keeps the water level constant in there. What will happen is, wherever your return pump sits will vary. I have a 130gal system, but the area that changes hight of water can only vary by 1-2 gallons. My ATO will go right next to the pump intake. So no, it goes in the sump.

Edited by LanglandJoshua

It does not have to be directly next to tbe intake, just the same chamber. Which in that size, may actually be directly next to it.

To avoid the splashing noise from the drain you will have to play with it. Thats one of those things Josh was talking about it that you just have to tinker with because it depends on lots of factors. On my old tank I brought the drain right down to the water level, and put a 90 degree elbow on the pipe. Half the pipe was under water and half was exposed to air. This let some of the air escape which helped with my noise level.

Some people use filter socks to help with the splashing noise, but they can be a pain to maintain. Having to empty them every few days and washing as well.

(edited)

Now that is looking more like a proper refugium. I am sure you could fit a small rock or too, and some cheato. :clap: Still might not be enough for a mandarin, but a wrasse might like it. Be warned six lines are aggressive. *note* there is sometimes one "nice one" in a bunch, its hard to find and not guaranteed

Edited by LanglandJoshua

My six line happens to be one of those well-behaved ones. rolleyes.gif

I use a filter sock to eliminate the splash noise. It also helps keeping the water clean. Every now and then it needs a good washing but oh well...

I would def. put some cheato and rocks in the refugium. I have plenty of puts in mine. Also, having your heater in this part of your SUMP helps with increasing pod population as well IMO. Don't forget to put a light for the cheato. I have my SUMP light on reverse cycle with my main lights to keep Ph in range.

I like the idea of a reverse cycle. Glad I thought of it :tongue: lol good idea, I'll try it. That would also help control your electrical draw, I've tripped my fusebox so many times by just plugging in a vacum on the wrong circuit.

what kind of lighting is needed for the cheato

I think just about any light will work. I use an aluminum clip on light from HD and one of the fat bottomed light bulbs...cant remember the wattage. Runs opposite the DT and grows Chaeto just fine.

Ron

Thanks Ron I got a nice little light from F&F for the Sump area

I also got the water flowing, I am glad I put the ball values in the over flow pipes and the return. It was interesting trying to get the right mix. Pump is a little noisey. I put 30 pounds of dry rock (Reef saver). Tonight i am putting in some live rock 30 pounds, more live rock to come. I have three 1200 power heads running as well.

A scrap piece of carpet works, too (for external pumps). Also a mouse pad (which is neoprene). What kind of pump do you have?