New B and New Tank

matt bills

Matt, why do you think you need to do a water change out? The ammonia is food for the bacteria that you're trying to develop. Let the tank cycle. Don't try to control the ammonia with water changes at this point. Instead, let the bacteria populate and consume it. If you want, raise the temperature of the tank up to 81 or 82 degrees for now. This will help accelerate the bacteria reproduction. Drop it back to 77 or 78 later, before introducing livestock.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh i thought someone said to do a 50 percent water change. cool I will raise the temp tonight thanks.

That was back when you reported a 1ppm ammonia level. You said later that this was a bad test.

Nassarius snails do well and are fun to look at. Slow IS the way to go! Always have a PLAN before the purchase! Looks like everyone on here already has you on the right path. Youre in good hands!

Today's readings

Amm .5

nitri. .2

Nitra 2.5

Not worried. It's cycling. Continue to monitor things. It's getting there. What temperature are you running?

Thanks for your help

Are thier any good forums that talk about fish selection based on the siz of my tank that i can read? I want to build a list.

What happens at the monthly meetings?

Did you say that you had the Paletta book, Matt? (Maybe it was somebody else.) His book, "The New Marine Aquarium" was one of the first that I bought a few years back. In it, he has a few livestock charts. More important than the specific chart, though, is the whole notion of compatibility between species - size, temperament, experience required, physical needs, etc.

You can learn a lot by browsing the livestock selection at sites like Live Aquaria, too. They have a compatibility chart located here:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

Here's another:

http://www.fish.com/Fish.com%20-%20Saltwater%20Fish%20Compatibility%20Chart.pdf

Once you have some ideas, run them by Sean. He can help you tune the list so you're not overstocking, or running into some other potential problem.

that would be nice thanks this is great i love this site. could i get it from you at the meet or could i pick it up at your house. would love to see your tank/

What happens at the monthly meetings?

Hey, did anyone tell this guy aboutthe initiation rituals?

You'll have to eat a dozen Formula One fish cubes in under a minute and you'll have to chase them with a shot of skimmer nog.

If you make it, you'll have to run a gauntlet of the officers flailing you with airline tubing.

Then they give you the membership card...

Funny? No he was serious. :ph34r: I think we've resequenced it a bit, though. The flogging is first now. We had too many gastrointestinal events when trying to do this part of the ritual after the skimmer nog.

BTW, Matt, we have quarterly, not monthly, meetings of the membership. At the meetings, we have special speakers that are invited/flown in to speak on a variety of topics, social time, snacks, and raffles of equipment and livestock. Other members and sometimes vendors set up tanks to sell frags as well. And finally, meetings give opportunity to people to meet up and exchange or pick up frags/equipment that they've committed to purchase in the week run up to the meeting.

Today's readings

Amm .5

nitri. .2

Nitra 2.5

Same as yesterday? Keep waiting.

I have that Paletta book with me today.

ok where can i meet you or do you want me to come to your house i work in falls church and drive to leesburg i can stop in ashburn on the way up to you.

Hey, did anyone tell this guy aboutthe initiation rituals?

You'll have to eat a dozen Formula One fish cubes in under a minute and you'll have to chase them with a shot of skimmer nog.

If you make it, you'll have to run a gauntlet of the officers flailing you with airline tubing.

Then they give you the membership card...

leave him alone ya Ogre, i met matt and he is a really nice guy....unlike you :tongue:

Tom thanks for the book I read some last night. Love your tank setup gives me something to look forward to

sean i will be stopping by to get the filters and refractometer this evening.

Today's readings

Amm .25-.5

nitri. .2

Nitra 2.5 -5

It would be really nice if there was a machine that would take all these readings????

You guys are great.

Matt