Brand New to the Hobby

Sham

Hey, guys and gals! I live in Herndon, VA and after visiting the Marine Scene, I knew this would be the hobby for me! I've been reading up on this and may ask a few or a ton of questions as I have very little experience owning fish. I'm soon going to purchase a BioCube 29 with the LED light upgrade and a wonderful little reef should follow a few weeks after that. I've been warned for years about how hard it can be, but never by people who have saltwater fish. I think it's mostly from people who tried it and failed and didn't like it. I know that I'm going to LOVE this hobby and it will be so rewarding.

I may start up a new thread or update this one with my progress. But I'm currently reading the New Marine Aquarist by Mike Palletta. It's so fascinating!

Hi Sham!, Wow your absolutely going to love LED, they make everything easier! :biggrin:

Welcome to the hobby and the club!, post pictures of your set up when your able to! We do love our pictures!

Couldnt be happier to hear that your reading up on the hobby before jumping in. That was your first good move.! And a good choice to read as well... Its a great hobby, and the reward is well worth it.! Be patient and informed, and you will be ok.!

As Trock said, reading many books BEFORE purchasing is a great idea. If you're determined to do an LED lit tank, be sure to use 3w LED's as opposed to anything that uses 1w or halfwatt emitters. You'll be much happier in the long run. You might even be better off retrofitting a DIY fixture into the BC29.

Welcome! You may want to consider joining WAMAS. As a full member, you'll have access to the For Sale and other member only areas. It's the best $20 you will EVER spend in this hobby.

Thanks for the warm welcome! The light I'm getting for my BioCube is the HQI metal halide lamp with a clear glass canopy! I'm so excited!

Welcome. The Paletta book was one of the first that I read. You'll enjoy it. I'll also take a second to recommend to you a book by Bob Fenner, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist." There are many others, but if I were to recommend one book to start with, it would be that one.

Click on the "Why Join WAMAS" link in my signature for one perspective on the benefits of membership.

Welcome. The Paletta book was one of the first that I read. You'll enjoy it. I'll also take a second to recommend to you a book by Bob Fenner, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist." There are many others, but if I were to recommend one book to start with, it would be that one.

Click on the "Why Join WAMAS" link in my signature for one perspective on the benefits of membership.

Thanks! I'll check out the book AND I just joined WAMAS!

Welcome. Another WAMAS "member" perk is that we have a library of books you can check out. - and now that I mention that I need to get the list updated. Send me a message once you have hit the "join now" button and signed up.

Also, how did you hear about us? MS or internet search?

Also, how did you hear about us? MS or internet search?

At Marine Scene in Herndon, VA, I'm not sure if he was the manager, owner, or both, but he highly recommended this website. Their staff was very knowledgeable and friendly, too!

Welcome!

Glad to see you have found us! You will find a great group of people here who are very knowedgable and helpful!

Welcome! You are going to love the hobby as long as you take it slow and do a lot of research first like you are now. :) Just a heads up, if you decide to get a biocube with the HQI lighting you might have some high water temp issues. Just have a back up plan on what you are going to due in that case.

Well, I know the heater helps when it's cool... But what do I do if it gets too hot, besides shutting the light off, of course? I mean, if it's a regular thing, then should I even get it? There are no reviews for the light on Amazon, so I'm not sure how much that's an issue. I may just head to the Marine Scene after work (20 minutes from now) and see what they say about it.

In all-in-one systems like a Biocube, if you wind up with heat problems, one solution is to get a chiller. Another is to go to an open-top, and use fans to cool the tank.

In all-in-one systems like a Biocube, if you wind up with heat problems, one solution is to get a chiller. Another is to go to an open-top, and use fans to cool the tank.

Metal halides, Fans, and open top AIO's lead to very fast evaporation rates. You will be "topping off" with a lot of water, and would most likely want an auto top off system. One way to avoid the heat is to get the LED hood, or build an LED hood. Or, if you are just getting into the hobby go with the standard powercompacts and you will be fine. No reason to get LED or Metal Halide if you only want to start with soft corals. I have a biocube 29gal, and I like it a lot. They are fun to tweak how you like.

I know Origami knows this (AND WAY MORE). Just trying to add some more information to the mix.

Welcome!

Nano tanks can be really fun but the margin of error is a lot smaller. A slightly larger tank (55 gallon maybe) could be a little easier until you get your training wheels off. People were right, this is an expensive hobby and I'm sure that everyone that has commented can tell you some money saving tips. Welcome to Wamas! Where knowledge (and sometimes frags) are free!

Hi:) saw you joined yesterday everyone that I've ever talked to started with a nano the key is to not overstock it also having a clear idea of what your going to grow is helpful. If I had to do it again I'd have gone on a few tank tours before ordering if your ever in springfeild I'll give you a tank tour:) I run a simple tank scheme and by avoiding sps my tank looks great Some like an sps dominate reef, but cant grow xenia:) Anyway Look at pictures and try and figure out the look you want:)

SPS-small stony polyp

LPS- Large stony polyp

Softies-soft corals

BTW, I had a Biocube 29, too, (it was in my wife's home office) but it was equipped with the standard power compacts. I never really had much of a problem with temperature with that system. I changed the BC29 out for a RSM130 (Red Sea Max 130 - 34 gallons), but their stock lighting (a T5 in a power-compact format) generated too much heat and caused my temps to fluctuate as much as 6+ degrees every day. As a consequence, I found myself going through as much as 5-6 gallons of evaporation every week. Way more than I expected and even wanted (too much maintenance). After finding a really good deal on a chiller (from a WAMAS member), the temperature is now controlled to +/- 1 degree F and evaporation is waaaaaaaay less - closer to 1/3 gallon a day.

I didn't get into it, but since BowieReefer opened the door, I think that the first thing that I'd look at adding to your setup is an ATO (auto top off) system. I use an Avast top-off-kit (available here) in my wife's RSM. Combined with a simple reservoir (I have a plastic kitty litter bucket in my stand) and a pump (like this one) and you'll address your first nuisance (but necessary) maintenance chore with the convenience of automation.

BTW, I had a Biocube 29, too, (it was in my wife's home office) but it was equipped with the standard power compacts. I never really had much of a problem with temperature with that system. I changed the BC29 out for a RSM130 (Red Sea Max 130 - 34 gallons), but their stock lighting (a T5 in a power-compact format) generated too much heat and caused my temps to fluctuate as much as 6+ degrees every day. As a consequence, I found myself going through as much as 5-6 gallons of evaporation every week. Way more than I expected and even wanted (too much maintenance). After finding a really good deal on a chiller (from a WAMAS member), the temperature is now controlled to +/- 1 degree F and evaporation is waaaaaaaay less - closer to 1/3 gallon a day.

I didn't get into it, but since BowieReefer opened the door, I think that the first thing that I'd look at adding to your setup is an ATO (auto top off) system. I use an Avast top-off-kit (available here) in my wife's RSM. Combined with a simple reservoir (I have a plastic kitty litter bucket in my stand) and a pump (like this one) and you'll address your first nuisance (but necessary) maintenance chore with the convenience of automation.

Note - IF you get an auto top off, put it in the third chamber where the water goes back into the display from the "sump" area. This may sound like common sense, but ya never know. ;)

I think I may go with the 28 JBJ with LED lights. This costs about the same and I don't have to worry about the heat from the halide. What do you think?

If you are considering going with LEDs, I would suggest you take a look at someone's tank with the same setup that lives near you to see if you like it and ask questions.

EW ew volunteer! Come one come all to see the monstoristy see wires hanging from the ceiling and no sump!

Just received my membership card! Holla! Where can I get local discounts at?

Just received my membership card! Holla! Where can I get local discounts at?

Sham, look in the Vendor news forum. There's a pinned thread there. (It's listed on the forum index page, too.)