Help me choose a controller

Supernova26

Pick a controller that you would pick for yourself.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a controller for me.

• Apex
    • ReefAngel
    • Reefkeeper Elite

So it is about time for me to get a controller for my 90 reef. I have read a bit about them and I am kind of torn. My final 3 are above. If you had to pick one for yourself which would you pick. I am personally leaning towards the Apex but i can be persuaded otherwise. You can throw another name that is not in the list. The only request I have is that it has to cost less than 500. Thanks

I am going to try to get the reefkeeper elite. Its so infinitely expandable, that and for anyone with a smart phone and an obsession for their reef. I think that it is the ultimate nerve calmer. Just to be able to check in on the tank every fifteen minutes, from anywhere in the world.

I believe you can do the same with the Apex. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah you can have it so you can check on your tank status with your smart phone for apex as well. I have an apex lite and love it!

I loved my Aquacontroller III and now my Apex. It is great having a large installed base. There are lots of experienced users to help out and plenty of opportunity to pick up pieces used on RC. I also spent an hour this Sunday trading emails with the owner of the company sorting out a minor software issue. The support is amazing.

have an acIII and love it, for the price of these things used its just great, you can get it to your smart phone though it takes a lill set up where the apex is pretty much just internet settings.

one day ill have an apex or whatever the next gen is.

I just bought the apex and am glad i bought it. U have to factor that there are more neptune products in peoples home because they have been around a while and they are a trusted name with very good customer service. You cant go wrong with the apex for the money its the best controller.

Go with the Apex. The reef keeper lite is a deal at the price point, but no way I would spend more money than that on a Digital Aquatics product. Their customer service is horrible and they are always over promising and under delivering. As to the post above suggesting that the RKE is infinitely expandable implying that the Apex is not - well, I just don't understand that. The Apex does everything the RKE does and then some. Apps are available to connect to the Apex via iphone, android and maybe some others.

Go with the Apex. If you don't need the variable ports and the extra pH probe, get the lite. They are otherwise identical. A brs probe works fine.

There is an appeal to the reef angel in that I like to tinker and it is probably more customizable, but I wouldn't recommend it to most people since I don't think it is really a consumer product - more of a DIY style project almost.

Edited by hypertech

I have an RKL - so not sure about the elite, but I read that the RKE like the RKL is much easier to setup out of the box.

I heard that neptune products require alot more tweaking and programming - that is not to say they are not as good, just a little more complicated to get going (what I have heard)

I just don't think that's accurate. Once you connect it to the network, it is very easy to go with standard programming. There are drop down boxes for most typical uses and no programming at all is required. Just a couple boxes to fill in for setpoints. If you want to, you can select advanced and write your own program.

Basically, my opinion is that the people spreading that rumor have never used an apex.

Its just a screen and costs almost as much as the complete controllers he listed. I've never owned Profilux stuff, but I'm pretty sure you still have to buy the profilux controller on top of that. But, it does look cool.

i've got the aquatronica and i think it falls into the category of "too much" for the average consumer. i may end up selling it to someone who likes to tinker and get a more idiot proof controller :)

separately.

You need a breakout box and whatever you plan on using for a level sensor (float switch, pressure switch, etc.)

I do not have an apex, but I have researched it extensively.

I found this to be very useful for figuruing out what I would need and how to go about using it.

What about the new profilux touch? I don't know anything about it, but it looks cool :)

I have a couple of buddies that have the Profilux. They say its really nice but really difficult to set up.

Very well. Apex it is. Do you guys know of any LFS who usually carry them? i don't mind ordering online but just thought I would check the locals.

I second that BRK has them (not sure if they are in stock, but they do carry them, there was a recent thread that discussed it). I also know that Petland does not have them and cannot get them. But other than that, I am not sure.

I'd go Apex. I have an AC-III and can can access it from my Android phone. The same applies for the Apex. BRK is your local source.