My Trigger Went Carpet Surfing

Coral Hind

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thats incredible. Everyone hears so much about fish dying of no apparent cause. This fish must be blessed to have survived something so bad. It looks so much worse then the pic you posted last week.

Is Harvey Two Face still the family's favorite fish?

that pic looks real familiar Dave. Keeping fingers crossed...

One thing I didn't mention., my fish was never "right" in the head after that. Got mean. It was a green terror, but terror was right, after that. Really hope your's doesn't do that, trigger teeth hurt a lot more than a cichlid.

I see fish do that at work all the time, I will find them laying on the tile floor. Fish are amazing they bounce back after all kinds of things, seeing he is still around so far as long as there are no infections I think your little guy is going to be ok. Time will heal him. Good luck.

wow, that looks rough! Glad he is still eating and so far so good, I am not sure that I would be moving around much either! I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

Although I wouldn't put these into my tanks, if it's in QT right now you might want to consider adding some of those products that help fish in bags, can't think of the name, but the stuff made by the makers of Amquel...

Also, this may be a bad idea, but I'm thinking some hypersalinity might also help? Make the water more dense and easier for the fish to move around in (I want to say that I've seen something somewhere where it helps the fish out with infections, but can't say for sure if I'm just daydreaming).

Although I wouldn't put these into my tanks, if it's in QT right now you might want to consider adding some of those products that help fish in bags, can't think of the name, but the stuff made by the makers of Amquel...

Also, this may be a bad idea, but I'm thinking some hypersalinity might also help? Make the water more dense and easier for the fish to move around in (I want to say that I've seen something somewhere where it helps the fish out with infections, but can't say for sure if I'm just daydreaming).

Wouldn't hypersalinity put an additional burden on the fish's internal systems? I thought that was one of the benefits of hypo - easier on the kidneys and whatever else pushes salt out of their system to maintain cellular balance.

The thing I'd be watching for most now is infection. It looks like that entire side is vulnerable - the lifted scales would each be an entry point.

Coral Hind, has the slime coat returned on that side? I wonder if that product, Slime Coat (I think), would be of benefit?

I was also toying with the idea of raising the temperature a little to accelerate the fish's system, hoping it would accelerate healing, but don't know if that's a good idea (I'm no fish doctor). If done, however, I think two things would have to go along with the approach: An antibiotic (since you don't want to also accelerate bacterial growth) and increased aeration because of the reduced oxygen capacity of the warmer water. You may want to ensure that you've increased aeration anyways.

Not to throw more random thoughts into the mix, but my experience treating sick seahorses is that lower temperatures are better (I will often lower the temp of a QT tank for the seahorses to 68, but I would probably choose 74 in your case). True that increased temps raise metabolism and internal processes... but high 70's (or most average reef temps) can cause potentially hazardous bacteria to enter an exponential growth multiplication curve. To me the reduced bacterial risk of a lower temperature is worth the slightly longer recovery time caused by slower metobolic rates.

Drug wise:

/side bar If you do anything because although it looks bad, it doesnt look red and irritated. Drugs and any other treatments will cause stress to an already weakened fish. At the very latest, I would start treatment at the first sign of redness or swelling. /end side bar

I would go with a broad spectrum mix like kanamycin and neomycin which work better together than either apart and can be put in tank water or the readimade combo product triple sulfa or furan2 (almost everywhere carries triple sulfa and furan2 so you can find it in minutes usually, while kanamycin and neomycin are a touch more difficult to find but is available here). All of which are broad spectrum antibiotics and have some affect (although not primarily) on fungals. I would think that bacteria and fungus are your two biggest threats here. If it were me, since there doesnt appear to be sign of infection yet, I would go with furan2 first.

Kelly Jedlicki (Puffer Queen) is really good with this sort of advise and is available on the MD forums for corraborating and deciding what to do (if anything).

Edited by Chad

Kelly Jedlicki (Puffer Queen) is really good with this sort of advise and is available on the MD forums for corraborating and deciding what to do (if anything).

I have found Kelly to be a great resource for fish disease and wellness.

Coral Hind, has the slime coat returned on that side? I wonder if that product, Slime Coat (I think), would be of benefit?

No, I do not think it has any slime coat production on that side yet but I can't tell for sure and sure don't want to touch it to find out. The pour guy looks like he has been bread on one side and is ready to be fried.

The SG is at 1.020. The tub is well aerated, open on top with just a screen over it. I have been adding Prime for slime coat and ammonia binding. Thanks for all the advice.

I got my fingers crossed I hope the fish pulls through and fully recoperates

Just returned to the WAMAS boards: what a story! Does teach us to try resuscitation before trash! :D I'm hoping he'll live for many years to come.

• 1 month later...

Hey David, how is the pink tail doing?

It is amazing what fish can survive.

I once had a huge Oscar that had his tail (size of 3 silver dollars) eaten completely off. He just had a bleeding, meaty nub.

The whole tail grew back...

Hey David, how is the pink tail doing?

I was going to ask the same thing, the one Piper had for sale made me think of David's fish.

Haha, that is exactly what jogged my memory too :)

• 2 months later...

update?

That's too bad, sorry to hear.