Can someone Identify what this circle shaped things are

epleeds

If you look at the frag plug you will see 3 white circles in the first picture and then on the third picture you will see 6 of them. the pictures are about 5 days apart. I have no clue what they are. Does anyone know.

thanks

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

they look like the small limpets that I have all over my tank but it's hard to tell by the pic and they usually move around quite a bit.

(edited)

They're eggs but specifically that of the stomatella snail

this guy

8960d1211243761-stomatella-varia-medium-1-.jpg

points for me please?

Also fun little thing is that the white your seeing eventually become the shell for the snails when they "hatch"

Edited by jason the filter freak

What doesn't anyone know morse code anymore??? It says " Its time for a tank upgrade"

Stomatellas spray a nice cloud out from them during the spawning events. It normally happens in my tank when the MH's are off and just before the actinics turn off.

Stomatellas spray a nice cloud out from them during the spawning events. It normally happens in my tank when the MH's are off and just before the actinics turn off.

Now I know, that cloud I saw was the stomatellas ...

So this begs the question, what are the white dots?

The egg capsules that I've had in my tank have always been clear with white eggs inside. This looks like an opaque white capsule.

About 2/3 of the way down this guy's blog is a close up of a similar capsule showing that it's likely snail eggs.

http://peterdesmidt.com/blog/

The question I have is, if they're snail eggs what species?

Here's something on RC:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16386143&postcount=1

From the way the egg masses are laid, I'll bet you a frag the adult is very close by...perhaps under a fold of the montipora, or underneath the frag plug. I would watch the area at night and see what you see.

The odds of two different egg deposits occurring in the same place from a wandering snail seem pretty low.

I have seen them in different parts of my tank over the last month or so. this is the first time i was actually able to get a decent picture of them. Hopefully they will grow into snails...one less thing that i have to buy..

i wish it was growing that fast. that is my undata...

Mine is almost ready to frag! ... well, almost - as in any year now! :)

bob

• 1 month later...

+1 for narite. A WAMAS member gave me two of his narite snails and they have laid the same looking eggs all over the place.

I've always swore they were stomatella but further research points to them possibly being narite snails. wacko.gif