Hermit-less tanks?

Sharkey18

So I removed all my hermits to treat for red bugs and I like it.

My frags don't get knocked over, and they don't steal the food from my sun coral.

I am planning on adding back a bunch of nassarius, nerites and astreas.

So does anyone run a tank without hermits? If you don't have hermits do you need to feed a lot less? (I like to feed)

Thanks!

Laura

1-2 hermits, they were left over from previous tank, but have not added any for a long time, and i like it better that way, only a bunch of snails, 200+ =D

AWESOME! Thanks everyone. That decides it!

No hermits for me!

Ummm... anyone want some free hermit crabs?

Laura

AWESOME! Thanks everyone. That decides it!

No hermits for me!

Ummm... anyone want some free hermit crabs?

Laura

Sure, just have to get them from you :wacko:, I'll throw them in at school.

Are there any real benefits that hermits provide in the tank?

1) Very interesting animals to observe

2) Eat algae. Some are claimed to eat red slime algae that no snails are said to eat

3) Much better scavengers/corpse cleaners than snails in my experience

4) Slow-release food for mantis shrimp

You can go with some emerald crabs or sally lightfoots, which I am a big fan of, and they are great scavengers and havent ever seen them eating snails..

How long have you been able to keep you emeralds? Mine just don't seem to last long, after a few months they just slowly die. I have read they don't do well in higher reef tank temps.

You can go with some emerald crabs or sally lightfoots, which I am a big fan of, and they are great scavengers and havent ever seen them eating snails..

you'll want to remove the sally lightfoot crab once it gets larger and if you have smaller fish. the crab will prey on them.

A cleaner shrimp or other shrimp would do great at eating up bits of excess food.

Ive had emeralds last about a year, which isnt bad. I have seen some that were a couple years old, and big..! As for the sallys, Ive heard the will eat fish if they get big enough, but again, they last about a year and then kick the bucket.. But they are great scavengers, and pretty cool to watch as well.. I would take sallys over emeralds any day..

Ive had emeralds last about a year, which isnt bad. I have seen some that were a couple years old, and big..! As for the sallys, Ive heard the will eat fish if they get big enough, but again, they last about a year and then kick the bucket.. But they are great scavengers, and pretty cool to watch as well.. I would take sallys over emeralds any day..