My new kalk stirrer for under $50

bbyatv

I decided to use a motor from a WAV and make a kalk stirrer. Thought I would share.

Dsc07069.jpg

Dsc07070.jpg

Dsc07071.jpg

Dsc07073.jpg

Dsc07075.jpg

After strring for 10 hours.

Dsc07077.jpg

Dsc07078.jpg

In the sump.

Dsc07081.jpg

Dsc07083.jpg

Works good so far?

Bruce

i love it!

can you post pics of the wine ATO again? You've got to be the only person who has beat me in ghetto-ing reef equipment

Edited by jason the filter freak

i love it!

can you post pics of the wine ATO again? You've got to be the only person who has beat me in ghetto-ing reef equipment

friggin awesome. there should be a junkyard wars reef edition.

i like the scraper idea but the container is a little cheesie.

sorry couldnt resist...

:biggrin:

Nice job, Bruce. What's the motor that you use here? Also, what's with the larger PVC pipe coming in? Is that where your top-off water enters? I like the nice big opening on top, it will make replenishing kalk easier.

i love it!

I'm still working on my $50 skimmer! :)

bob

I'm still working on my $50 skimmer! :)

bob

Well, my actual cost was about $21. Plus my labor time (about 1.5 hours)

Bruce

Thanks. The motor is from my WAV units. The large PVC is for adding Kalk. The top off is pumped in via a dosing pump in to the stirrer and it then overflows in to the tank. In this way there is no possibility of accidental over dose.

Bruce

Nice job, Bruce. What's the motor that you use here? Also, what's with the larger PVC pipe coming in? Is that where your top-off water enters? I like the nice big opening on top, it will make replenishing kalk easier.

Naaa, I can't stand em. They hit the trash before the jug even made it in the house.

Bruce

Does that include the cheeseballs? Did you eat them as you labored away for 1.5 hours? :biggrin:

The water looks pretty cloudy. You don't want to dose the cloudy liquid, just the clear saturated solution. I don't know what rpm your motor is but 9-12rpm works well. I would try making another stir bar without the fins to see if that clouds the liquid less. Also you could try cutting the bottom pipe in half so it was like a long upside down u shape, that might create a little bottom mixing without totally clouding the mix.

Dan,

The water above the fins is just perfect at this point. Nearly clear. The motor spins at 4 rpm. The fins work real well because the kalk can not cake up on the bottom. It is always very light and moving. I am super happy withe the output. The pH and Alk readings are just where they should be. pH 12.54, Alk 40.8 meq/l.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Bruce

The water looks pretty cloudy. You don't want to dose the cloudy liquid, just the clear saturated solution. I don't know what rpm your motor is but 9-12rpm works well. I would try making another stir bar without the fins to see if that clouds the liquid less. Also you could try cutting the bottom pipe in half so it was like a long upside down u shape, that might create a little bottom mixing without totally clouding the mix.

• 3 months later...

How does the water get in? And how is the CO2 get out? And it looks like the output tube is below the water line? What am I missing.

Great inexpensive design!!

This is a Kalkwasser Stirrer. There is not CO2 used. You might be thinking of a Calcium Reactor.

The water is added via a dosing pump (enteral pump) and it overflows in to the sump. The tube that you see coming out the side has and "S" shape to it so that inside of the container it points up. That is why the water level is above the end outside of the container. On the inside the water level is just at the top of the tube because as more is added it runs down through the tube and in to the sump.

Bruce