DaveS 210 Redux

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, a great recovery.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Although painful, I'm sure it will help people (including myself) rethink their ATO/kalk systems and perhaps prevent mishaps.

Thanks everyone.  I definately have learned a lot from other people's build threads so one of goals with this thread it to pay it forward to others.  I also want to others who may go through a tank crash to see how things can come back with time.

That's a great positive outlook.  As I'm doing my build, I every once in a while think it's not if my tank will crash, but when.  Gotta get out of that mode, lol.

So sorry to hear about your crash but glad to see your tank is back on the right path.  Is that a haddoni on the right?  any problems with losing fish? 

Great fight Dave! If it was me, I would have thrown in the towel.

I thought about it!  Being on the road kind of helped me through it.  It kept me out of the house so I wasn't staring at the dead/empty tank.  It kept me busy when I was at home so it was easy to justify not doing anything.  In the meantime, the break just helped the wound heal.  Evenutally I got the itch and motivation again. 

So sorry to hear about your crash but glad to see your tank is back on the right path.  Is that a haddoni on the right?  any problems with losing fish? 

Yes, it's my green haddoni.  yes, I have lost a few fish to it in the past.  Usually right after I introduce a fish when it's getting chased around trying to establish it's territory.  I usually put a net or something over the haddoni then so it's harder for a fish to accidently run into it when being chased.

so did every single coral die or were you able to salvage anything? What about the fish? were they all ok?

Hmm let's see.  SPS- all dead.  Chalices- all dead.  Zoas- some survived (1/2).  Rics- survived.  $300 Bleeding Apple Scoly- survived.  Fish- most survived but some were never the same.  Seriously I think they got brain damage or something as they acted differently afterwards.

Edited by DaveS

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Ugh, was there another one of those freak east coast earthquakes today?!  I look over at my tank this afternoon and my rock work was broken. 

If you've read the thread you have seen that I have a nice bonsai pillar structure in my tank. It's one of the nice focal points of the tank- especially with a bunch of coral growing out of it from all sides.  Well today it decided to break after 3+ years.  Surprisingly there isn't much damage to the corals but part of the actual rock broke (in addition to the wire tie holding things together) so I don't think I'll be able to get it back together.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, the entire section circled in red is what broke off.

P1010781-Broken.jpg

I hate aquascaping as I'm not very good at it.  There was already 1-2 things I didn't like in the current aquascape.  I guess now I'm just going to find a time tear it all apart and redo the whole thing, ugh.  Oh well, I guess that means more frags on the way....

And one of the other annoying parts of this is that I finally had my Chromis laying eggs on a ceramic tile that I had on the end of the structure.  They just laid a nice big clutch of eggs and I was going to hatch them this week.  Well, the tile fell to the sand and I guess the clean up crew got to the eggs.  So no eggs to hatch, no special spot for the next batch, and they will probably find some new acro to lay on for the next batch.  That means another acro gets "cleaned off" and I gotta figure out a way to catch the larvae when they hatch...annoying.

Ok, venting done.

Edited by DaveS

Yes this time issue bigger frags. Put me down first in line. I am sure your aquascaping will be better than last time.

That rock structure was my favorite. Let me know if you want some help on the second round of aquascaping. Bummer about the lemons, I'm sure they will work out something quickly.

i was able to see those eggs on the tile that chromis got used to laying on so neatly too! it won't be too bad next go round dave, you'll see. and you'll be happier with an end product that is exactly like you want it. until you want to change it again, haha. you have simple issues to deal with and a great system to do it on - be happy!

Edited by monkiboy

That rock structure was my favorite. Let me know if you want some help on the second round of aquascaping. Bummer about the lemons, I'm sure they will work out something quickly.

Thanks.  I will let you know when I gather up the energy to re-aquascape.  Could always use an extra set of hands to help...

i was able to see those eggs on the tile that chromis got used to laying on so neatly too! it won't be too bad next go round dave, you'll see. and you'll be happier with an end product that is exactly like you want it. until you want to change it again, haha. you have simple issues to deal with and a great system to do it on - be happy!

Yea, in the grand scheme of things it's not the worst.  Not like a total SPS meltdown or something.  Just super annoying as I've spent the last few weeks ramping up the hatchery with phyto and rots.  Now just when I'm about to make things happen, a bunch of crap comes tumbling down- literally!

i didn't realize you were looking to begin giving it a go so quickly after our visit - that's awesome. any chance you can share some photos of the set up you got going or your culture or maybe it's own thread really!

• 2 weeks later...

Came back from a business trip to see that my Lemon Chromis took on the new spot I prepared for them.  :clap:

Separate breeding thread to start soon!

• 1 month later...