Oh the humanity!!!

dbartco

I'm very sorry for your loss. Does a fresh water dip kill these worms? How can we help prevent introducing them into our system?

So do you have any wrasses to help keep pests at bay? I've always had a sixline and a Melanurus wrasse in my tanks, and I've never had issues with stuff like this (knock on wood). I think sixlines are the best. Mine were always scouring all over the rock looking for food. I always saw them picking off baby bristleworms and mini bristlestars out the rock. I've read plenty places that they definitely help keep these types of pests at bay. I've never QT'd corals either and have never seen any pests in my tank.

I also believe that wrasses help. I have a Six Line, Pencil, potters wrasse, and Black Leopard wrasse. No problem yet. ( KNOCKING ON WOOD )

Edited by lhcorals

Ouch!

I'll have stuff for you when you are ready. Did the 20k die?

I have a piece of the 20k I got from him (that was the awef indicator piece) that is clean and happy, it has roughly doubled in size.

wow I am very sorry to see this. It looks like you had a couple of leishmans SPS. I have some of his as well if you are in the Alexandria area please let me know I would be happy to give you some good size frags to get you going again.

Discovered a few aefw in late Jan. Have done dips to knock them off, but had not set up a hospital tank. My main 20k colony is fine, but the initial discovery by justin was on a frag of it. They have seemed to like the stags more that the millies and the 20k.

Hospital tank now up now that I have some lights for it ( thanks Mike).

great, just got a call from the wife. Skimmer overflowing like crazy right now onto the floor. Guess there is a lot of stuff in the water. Hopefully not more corals bleaching. Oiy Vey

Looking at those photos makes my face hurt. Like others have already mentioned, six line wrasses are the ticket.

Wow Doug! I'm sorry to see that. I wish I could say I know what it feels like, but my tank crash and coral loss isn't nearly as bad as your loss. I remember you offering me some frags to get me back up on my feet. I would like to make the same offer to you. I don't have any right now as I'm virtually tankless for the next month or so. But when I get some corals, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

By the way... what was that HUGE coral that died? Worms must have started it STN'ing - or I assume you would have a huge frag of it somewhere.

You're welcome to come cherry-pick my tank when you're ready for frags. Never met a coral I didn't enjoy fragging. (Never owned a scolymia - fortunately for the scolymia!)

bob

Thanks for everyone for the offers of frags. When I get this under control, I will be collecting some again. Bummer, but I felt the same when I got the monti eating nudi's years ago and claimed all my montis, and not I can't keep montis OFF my rocks.

The die off seems to have stopped. I more or less contribute the rtn-ing of many of the corals an issue of aefw weakend corals eventually letting go. And as jamal said, when it rained it poured. I was looking to rework that huge space anyway. :) Watching Rik and others rescape had me itching, just was too conservative.

As you can see in the 1st pic, there is a good chuck of the formosa still left. I still wasn't so worried about saving as most in the club have a peice of it. I have given out so many colony sized "frags" of this it isn't funny. It will be back like the plagues I am sure. I have lost a few premiums, but I know where I can turn to replace them, and that is best part of this community. I truely am not worried about about the losses (other than the small reminder that it is a dead animal) because I know I can always count on other's that have gone through the same.

Thanks everyone.