Sikryd's 125g RR tank upgrade

Sikryd

Well I figured I would start a thread about our new upgrade since the corner started precipitating salt out of it.

Bob and I picked the tank up from Waterworld for a song! Brought it home in my Harley trailer.

Since then I have painted the stand, the back of the tank, the back of the sump, added screens like Bob has on top of his, made a plenum and painted it all black, and used all black hoses for everything.

I routed a piece of wood for the ceiling and painted it black since the light is an Aqua-medic 3x250mh 4x34w T-5 (w/ all new bulbs) and hangs from the ceiling.

I built a little stand for the huge ballast and painted it...you guess it - black. I also have 1" and 3/4" hangers to house the hoses and plenum real nice under the thank. I also found a 6ft. powerstrip that I bolted to the top rear of the stand after I cut a 2" piece of wood for it to bolt to.

I figured if my wife was going to spend the money to upgrade to a nice tank, I might as well make it a show piece since it is in our living room. And to show her how grateful I am, especially when people are having to get out of the hobby right now.

We also now have a new skimmer MSX200, a JBJ, and I will be running my RODI in the basement straight up to a tank under the stand with a mechanical float valve - with a "Y" for when I want to use another container to make salt water for water changes.

Hopefully it turns out like I hope.

I really appreciate Bobs help with plumbing since that is an area that I am deficient in.

I am not sure when I am going to do the tank transfer, but I'll post it online and if a couple people want to come over, have pizza, and hang out that would be cool.

Here are some pics so far...

DSC04595.jpg

DSC04590.jpg

DSC04591.jpg

DSC04592.jpg

DSC04599.jpg________________

Edited by Sikryd

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kudos. Its been fun so far. A lot of good ideas from Bob (Fuzznutz on CMAS) and other people's tank incorporated. I thought the all black theme would make it look a little cleaner underneath, I hadn't seen it done before and figured I might as well try it out.

Yes, everything from the old tank is going into the new one, including the rock that I bought off Craiglist that I am cooking right now. It doesn't smell and the water isn't too dirty, so hopefully it will be okay. Plus I am going to drill all the rock for plugs to make it easier to put frags in.

Here are some updated pics from this weekend. I am going to do the tank transfer on Monday since Bob will be off to help.

So I am doing the final touches this weekend. All plumbing is black (painted) and black hose.

Here is the photobucket link

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/mm434/Sikryd/125g%20RR/

The pictures came out crappy this time for some reason.

DSC04627.jpg

DSC04629.jpg

DSC04624.jpg

DSC04632.jpg

DSC04634.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

• 3 weeks later...

I have that exact same tank. I would love to hear how you do the overflows. I have attempted durso and hofer gurgle busters and I haven't been able to quite down the gurgle in the sump. I have minimized it a lot, but there is still burps of air.

I guess I should have updated this thread by now since I have it up and runningnow.

I put 2 ball valves on the returns and adjusted them, but haven't fully looked into quieting it down more yet. Too busy killing fish! :(

I guess I should have updated this thread by now since I have it up and runningnow.

I put 2 ball valves on the returns and adjusted them, but haven't fully looked into quieting it down more yet. Too busy killing fish! :(

Ouch :cry:

I have minimized the noise a lot, but there are still a few bubble gurgles coming from the sump. I deadened these by attaching a T at the end of the pipes from the overflows and have them emptying right at the waters surface. That really lessened the impact as the gurgles now go thru both sides of the T's.

Here are some updated pictures with the changes I have made so far.

I talked the wife into letting me use the tax money for the tank. So I was able to pick up some vortecs from dod-reef.com for $360 shipped. I also got a battery backup for power outages.

Everything is sort of changing colors and morphing due to the new lights and stuff. So I am waiting to see how everything looks before I place all the frags. Hence the little racks in there, and why the rock work is all jacked up. I am going to fix it in about a month when everything sort of comes into its own. Then I'll pull the rock, drill it more (already have some holes for plugs, but on the wrong sides! - murphy's law)

QT tanks to the left are gone now too.

Thanks to both clubs our tank is coming along nicely. 95% of our corals are from other generous club members which we have gotten great deals from. I only have put 3,000 miles on my truck picking them up! I think today is my last trip for a while to S. MD, VA, D.C.!

Tankvortecs.jpg

Here are some Japanese zoo's to the right from Aquaco, and on the left are Sikryd's Sun Spots ;)

Zoos2.jpg\

My little barnacle zoo garden. I have another barnacle rock that I am going to put all my other zoo's on.

DSC04980.jpg

Thanks Chip,

I bought some screen frames and corners at Lowes and cut them to fit perfect. Then I got the screen from Fuzznutz (Bob) on CMAS and screened it in like a normal screen. I doubled it up though since I have a smaller wrasse and the squares are 1/4in. It is thin plastic 1/4 square screen. I am buy some more screen to do another one, but forget where he got it. It doesn't cut down on light at all. I am going to double check with a par meter to be sure. But I have well enough light for 125g.

Still busy getting it squared away. On the way is a custom sump, calcium reactor, and BRS two canister reactor. After that the tax money is gone, but I think it will be purrin' by then.

Very nice and clean looking install.

What did you use for the net across the top?

+1

Looking good. Tagging along for updates............

Bob and I picked up my sump last night. I filled it with some vinegar, salt and hose water and am pumping it through to clean it of all oils and stuff.

Hopefully I will get it under my tank soon!

It took 5 days to get, and wayyyyyy cheaper than anywhere else!

I have a custom topoff coming too - 10x15x18

Dimensions are 48x15x15

Sump1.jpg

Sump2.jpg

Rumor has it you decided to go with the NeoZeo method. Any truth to that?

Looking good BTW!

Mark

;)

Thanks

Yep. Just picked up all the stuff at Sean's sale. Just need another reactor now. I think I am going to go with the one you have - the next. It looks pretty nice.

I just got my new sump under the tank and hooked up this morning. Its working great. Its nice to have so much extra volume in the fuge, top off and skimmer/reactor area. Not to mention the probe holder and stuff.

Next is hard plumbing it.

I also painted the pink foam under it, so it looks pretty slick.

A little hard with one person, but it worked out alright.

The ACIII is online now so that is nice as well.

Next is the topoff box once I pick it up. Then the reactor. I'll about a 1/4in to work with after that!

Well I got working on my tank this morning and decided it was time to get it all dialed in underneath.

I am taking a break to figure out all the ACIII connections - so I thought I would post some pictures.

After this its on to setting the RODI up in the basement and running a line to the topoff tank through the wall. Then add a solenoid, and a Y so I can fill my rolling trash can for water changes. (The lazy mans tank) smile.gif

command3.jpg

topoff.jpg

command2.jpg

command.jpg

Looking good.... tangled... but good!! :)

hhaaaahhaaa no doubt. Its break time!!!

I'll post the finished product later. Its a work in progress.

Wow you have allot of expensive toys on your living room floor/playground. :lol2: My new sump and ATO with kalk stirr made a hude upgrade on my system. looks like you hads will be full for a while!

Curtis