Sikryd's 125g RR tank upgrade

Sikryd

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copied from another forum so I don't have to type this again!

Thanks - its getting there. I am almost finished up with the electronics and dosing now!

I took about 500 pictures today - only some came out good! I'm getting better at it though smile.gif

Here is a bad one of the PH - I took it too close up and it isn't in focus

Purplehornetandrasta.jpg

Not sure of what they are called - I just like em'

Coolpaly.jpg

Here are some NICE ones that turned out for some good reason. Most of the colors were off on the others or out of focus -

Acro.jpg

Yes - this War coral is that bright and crazy looking - just cropped.

Warcoral.jpg

Watermelons.jpg

Greenslimer.jpg

Psykotik.jpg

Jabawaki.jpg

I put the capacitor in the ballast today. Then replumbed the sump with pvc (painted black and all that jazz - and used hose clamps this time wink.gif )

I also moved the ballast back behind the tank again since it is re-wired now and ready to go for the APEX allowing each light to turn on and off independently. Thanks to Bobs help!

I then ran 2 - 20amp GFCI circuits to run just the tank. Way overkill but I already had the wire on hand.

Then fixed my skimmer - balanced the mesh wheel so it will turn on and off without having to "prime" the pump.

I also removed the 5ft power rack I had under the tank - too much of a fire hazard for me. Now that I have the tank on a seperate circuit I don't need it.

I also picked up the 2 part dosing container from Jeff today. It looks like I might have him make another one and put this one up for sale. It doesn't really fit where I wanted to since I forgot that the wires run behind the tank - we'll see though. He makes some NICE stuff. Wait till you see pictures of it! I was thoroughly impressed. It holds 1.6 gallons - so I guess if I did have it where it wasn't accessible, it wouldn't really matter since I would only have to fill it every few months! I haven't had time to mess with it since I just finished after working since 6am this morning!

Got a lot done - now all I am waiting on is the APEX to ship out so I can have it all back online again.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Its too late! Long day.....

Then added these today ----------------------------------------

Copied from another forum -

Here are some quick pictures from the work I did the other day. I ended up only using on 20a GFCI - then using the other one for the garage. I added 2 - 4 outlet gang boxes and another in the basement.

Old Single wall outlet that was tied into the living room and kitchen

Walloutlet-1.jpg

New wall outlet install - (yes the plug isn't hanging anymore wink.gif )

NewWalloutlet.jpg

Hard plumbing painted and ready to install

Plumbing.jpg

Rear of the Ballast - I wired into the switches so I can control each light individually via a timer or controller, and I can also turn them on and off via the switches.

BallastRear.jpg

Replaced a capacitor - it was good - but the voltage showed about 5v off of the others. So I replaced it since I had it out.

Ballastopen.jpg

(edited)

Here is the 2 Part Dosing container that I had custom made by Jeff Bean (not NAGA) - he made my sump as well.

I miscalculated the height a little, so I am getting another one made. It is barely higher than the bottom of my outlets on the left side of the tank. The next one will be shorter. It holds 1.6 gallons - so I would only have to fill it up once a year @ 30ml a day (if I used that much - which I don't right now)

Dosercontainer.jpg

Here is the latest addition.

The wife wanted to pick it up for when the power goes out. We also have a Vortec battery backup.

This will be nice to have though to be able to run the tank, fridge, sump pump, house lights and a few other things if need be for a few days.

I am adding pig tails and a backfeed switch (so it won't go to the breakers) to a couple circuits so I can plug right into them with an extension cord from the generator.

030378_md.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

Here is our new light I picked up on the 4th. (I'll be putting my other one up for sale soon if anyone is looking for one)

I re-wired the ballast again like the other one. It was pretty easy to do myself with Bobs (CMAS) help over the phone this time when he told me about cutting the nuetral side with the switch.

Now Bob just needs to pick that par meter up so we can test it out wink.gif

I put the lights back up to 14" until I can find out what kind of par it is putting out. I'll probably lower it to 13" tomorrow though.

Ballast2.jpg

It also came with the light deflectors which is nice, since we had been wanting to order some since it is in the living room. It cuts down on a lot of overflow light now.

NewLight.jpg

FTS -

FTSwithnewlight.jpg

(edited)
That first one looks great! Let me know when you are ready to frag it! :)

That is the ORA Pearlberry and Pink Boobies - PBPB picture :)

WOW sikryd, you are filling that tank up with some nice corals.

Thanks! It is stocked right now with about 400 different pieces (Still working on my coral/lineage list so not 100% on the #) - I'll be selling all the mini-colonies I am not going to keep this winter probably. These are just ones I have taken pictures of and cropped. You can stop by anytime to check it out and trade if you want...

Its a work in progress - just on growout now.

Edited by Sikryd

(edited)

I plumbed in my RODI through the basement and up to the tank/top-off through the wall today.

I attached the hose through the studs and stuff with plastic tabs than you route Rca cable with.

Here are some pictures -

Before - I had the 30g rubbermaid with the float valve on the dryer to the right.

BeginRodi.jpg

After -

FinishedRODI.jpg

RODIwall.jpg

RodiTopoff.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

Well I found out the GFCI works properly today! Thats a good thing I guess - I spilt a little water on a plug and it blew the one side on the GFCI - so that is good to know that if my lights trip the GFCI, it won't take out the GFCI that the pumps are on...

• 1 month later...

I figured I would add a picture of a zoa I got a picture of today that I like. They are simple but bright. This is under MH's.

nonamers.jpg

Little birdy told me you were re aqua scaping. This all ya got?

;)

Little birdy told me you were re aqua scaping. This all ya got?

;)

That'll be done soon. I am still mixing up water, and doing the prep work. Hopefully by the end of the week. We'll see how things go.

I'll post pictures once its done and back to normal.

• 4 weeks later...

I broke down and spent some of my MACNA money on some new fishies!!!

Divers den had a changing phase Pink Margin - it is turning white, a Cebu Blue Flasher, and a linear blenny to top it off. So I am really stoked to pick these up. Hopefully the wife will kick in some money so I still have a couple bucks to bring to MACNA!

I'll post pictures when I have them in QT. I forgot to save the pictures before I bought them, they take them down once they are payed for.

Here are some stock pictures of similiar ones -

The one I picked up is changing to this, it has a lot of white but still some pink - It should look like this sometime down the road.

Changing-phase Pink Margin

pink03401.jpg

Blue Flasher Wrasse - the one I picked up has better color and distinct lines

p-39687-Blue-Flashe-Wrasse.jpg

Linear Blenny - the picture of the one I picked up is identical

p-26169-linear-blenny.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New fish update

A buddy called last night to tell us about this Labouti they had in at HOT, and an Atlantic Tang.

No Atlantic Tang, but it got the wife there to see this - she couldn't pass it up.

Its 5-6" and REALLY nice looking.

This is a picture at the LFS with my camera phone.

I'm acclimating it in QT now.

6919_103107329706440_100000215195983_79769_7747834_n.jpg

Better picture - still of him in the bag acclimating, but way cool colors

It was HARD to get a picture, because he isn't scared at all, and was swimming in my hands and around the camera to see what it was!

IMG_3639copy.jpg

(edited)

We picked up a girlfriend for our Male Labouti today at Roozens.

It was soooooooo cool to watch them interact together. Right away they started swimming together. Then the male layed in the corner, started changing colors and almost went into a trance while the juvenile/female layed underneath him. The wife and I watched them do this for like 20min, with the male then swimming around doing somersaults and stuff. I guess they like each other.

Both of them are eating mysis, pellets and flake already, so that was reassuring.

Laboutipair.jpg

Laboutipair2.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

• 1 month later...

I figured it has been a while so I'd add some pics of my fishies. smile.gif

The only Flame Wrasse I have left. He eats out of my hand and won't stop checking out the camera to get a good picture!

IMG_0251.jpg

Pink Margin

IMG_0253.jpg

This is the best looking Tang I have had! It has peach in its fins. The contrast makes him our favorite!

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Lubbocks

IMG_0274.jpg

Saying Hi

IMG_0288.jpg

Here are a couple pictures I got of corals when I was getting the fish pictures -

BGM or something- (I'd have to flip it over to check what I wrote on the frag disc)

IMG_0222.jpg

PPE

IMG_0193.jpg

Gold Dust Soprano style - They've been neglected in the shade and in a corner. I just moved them up into some light today

IMG_0166.jpg

Los Clementines/Florida Gators - I thought I lost this when the heater broke. I found it today on a frag plug that fell off my rack! Woohoo - from the sound of it, I'm the only one that has one that survived from when they came in. It'll be nice to see how it looks in a month or two.

(Bad picture since it is partially shaded - I don't want to shock it)

I just noticed there is a 2nd polyp on the right side smile.gif)))

IMG_0182.jpg__________________

Looking good Chad. Have you been able to rebuild up your SPS population?

Thanks -

Nope. All I have is the DM porites as far as hard corals go (I'd don't see how it made it through the heater breakage?!?!) I haven't had time to run around and pick stuff up.

With a daughter on the way, I've been busy finishing the basement and getting things ready for her. It has also helped re-allocated my $ too ;)

I plan on picking things up here and there, but nothing like the collection I had before. Mainly just stuff from buddies and other reefers I know.

That, and I'll only be keeping 1/10th of the SPS I had before (100+) - too much crap to keep track of!