A moment of silence please.

SeanCallan

My young copperbanded has passed on to the great coral reef in the sky.

Now on to the question: I don't have the slightest idea why he kicked the bucket. He was healthy and swimming around until about 4 days ago. He didn't have any visible infections, but he stopped eating, and he hung out under an overhang and didn't really leave the area at all. The other fish in the tank look healthy and fine and swimming around. What could have done him in?

I've had many fish that have mysteriously passed away. I think that any given tank needs to reach an equilibrium point before regular fish species stop mysteriously dying. New tank syndrome.

I've always had trouble with Copperbands. First it's getting them to eat, then it's making sure they get enough to eat when in competition with tangs and an angel. Then it's kind of like they pack it in and slowly die.

Mine ate like a pig, then one day I noticed that he wasn't out with the others for breakfast. Never did find him. :sad: Of course, now I'm afraid to try another for fear that the new one won't eat.....

Thats too bad..

One suggestion in the future that has worked for me...

When I have a fish that stops eating, I try to yank them out of the tank and put them in a QT. For some reason and it could just be me, but fish tend to eat better in the smaller QT with nothing in it. Whether that would have helped, who knows really. Again, this is just my experience....

Sorry for your loss, it always sucks to lose a fish expecially such a cool one like that!

Edited by FishyTim

My young copperbanded has passed on to the great coral reef in the sky.

Now on to the question: I don't have the slightest idea why he kicked the bucket. He was healthy and swimming around until about 4 days ago. He didn't have any visible infections, but he stopped eating, and he hung out under an overhang and didn't really leave the area at all. The other fish in the tank look healthy and fine and swimming around. What could have done him in?

Hmmm... mine has been hanging out under an overhang for several months. He seems to PREFER laying sideways half the time. But he seems to be doing fine. I 'weaned' him off of aiptasia... okay - he ate all the aiptasia. He is not a real food competitor, but I make sure some of the mysis 'gets away' from the rest of the fish all trying to suck it out of the baster. He eats bits here and there, and is always searching the tank, looking for goodies. I would hate to see him die - he took care of my aiptasia problem - and I had a REAL aiptasia problem. I named him 'Copper-banded Butterflyfish', but sometimes I call him 'The copperband' for short. Will that get him killed??

bob

Cooper huh,

Don't name fish,

they live longer.

LMAO

:biggrin:

Did you add any new fish to the tank? Was he getting picked on at all?

Nope, no new fish and no one bothered him.

how long did you have him? was there evidence of a parasite of some sort?

6 Months or so now. I brought him to AquaCo this afternoon to have Sean give it a look. He said he had good body weight and no apparent parasites or infections. He just kind of gave up it seems.