What Killed My Fish And What Should I Do

Josh

post-1121-1233157517_thumb.jpgpost-1121-1233157503_thumb.jpgpost-1121-1233157508_thumb.jpgpost-1121-1233157514_thumb.jpg

I wanted to thank everyone for all your great advice on how to run a successful saltwater fish tank. My tank has been running successfully for now 10 months and had no issues with the tank and any of the critters that live in it. I love waking up in the morning to see what is new that is growing out of my live rock. It

that sucks.

you cant use copper medications and if it was a parasite you should probably just wait a month to six weeks till you put any more fish in.

most parasites don't transfer from fish to inverts to corals, etc, so if you have no other fish, don't bother medicating. I don't think it was a parasite though. What it looks like to me is that the fish had something happen to it at the LFS, maybe it was when he was being caught, that caused some internal damage and bleeding (which is what that red mark is- basically a bruise from internal bleeding) and then the fish died from that in your tank. I don't think you have any parasites to worry about with that. If it's not what I noted above, I've seen pistol shrimp do some pretty nasty stuff which could be the case if it's big enough....

Vibriosis?

From http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online-guide...treatments.html

Vibriosis, ulcer disease

Causes

Vibriobacteria

Symptoms

Variety of symptoms are associated with this disease. They can include lethargy, darkening of color, anemia, ulcers on the skin and lower jaw, bleeding of the gills, skin and intestinal track, clouded eyes, loose scales, pale gills and sudden death.

Treatment

This bacteria commonly go straight to the intestinal tracts of a healthy fish. They become dangerous only when stress allows infection.

Poor water quality, crowding, excessive handling, and copper treatments are common causes of stress in saltwater aquarium fish. Immersion treatments with antibiotic compounds have met with some success.

If it is Vibriosis what do I need to do for my tank. The fish had already passed away. Will this parasite die if I do not put anything else in my tank.

Vibriosis?

From http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online-guide...treatments.html

Vibriosis, ulcer disease

Causes

Vibriobacteria

Symptoms

Variety of symptoms are associated with this disease. They can include lethargy, darkening of color, anemia, ulcers on the skin and lower jaw, bleeding of the gills, skin and intestinal track, clouded eyes, loose scales, pale gills and sudden death.

Treatment

This bacteria commonly go straight to the intestinal tracts of a healthy fish. They become dangerous only when stress allows infection.

Poor water quality, crowding, excessive handling, and copper treatments are common causes of stress in saltwater aquarium fish. Immersion treatments with antibiotic compounds have met with some success.

If it is Vibriosis what do I need to do for my tank. The fish had already passed away. Will this parasite die if I do not put anything else in my tank.

I'm neither a fish doctor nor do I play one on TV (or anywhere else for that matter). I just happened to do some brief research and this seemed to fit the symptoms observed. If you'll notice, though, vibriosis is a bacterial infection - not parasitic - and, apparently, one that takes hold when the fish's immune system is compromised (possibly through stress or some other means).

Just to make sure I understand what everyone is saying, if my fish has an internal bacterial infection I still need to wait a few weeks to let any remaining bacteria in my tank die off. Can bacteria live off of the live rock, in the sand or off any of the crustaceans? In addition, just for future knowledge if I do have a bacteria infection and I have no fish in the tank the only way to kill the bacteria is wait a few weeks and hope that the bacteria dies off since it cannot find a host.

Lastly, would daily water changes help remove the bacteria from the system or should I not do any water changes for next week or two?

I think the vibrosis sounds right. I would wait a week or two and then try another fish just to make sure all of the bacteria dies... I don't know though...

I don't know about the bacteria, but I know with parasites like ick, you need to leave the tank for 6 weeks to make sure they all die off with no host. I'm guessing the bacteria will die within a week or so... if it's not already dead... If there is a bacteria or parasite that only effects fish and you have no other fish in your tank, it'll die... The water changes probably won't help much unless you were to do 100% which isn't good for the tank... I don't know though, I'm just making educated guesses...

Just to make sure I understand what everyone is saying, if my fish has an internal bacterial infection I still need to wait a few weeks to let any remaining bacteria in my tank die off. Can bacteria live off of the live rock, in the sand or off any of the crustaceans? In addition, just for future knowledge if I do have a bacteria infection and I have no fish in the tank the only way to kill the bacteria is wait a few weeks and hope that the bacteria dies off since it cannot find a host.

Lastly, would daily water changes help remove the bacteria from the system or should I not do any water changes for next week or two?

I couldn't give you that advice, personally. My guess is that your fish had this when he arrived and the stress of transferring it to the new system just made it vulnerable to loss. I suspect that you're set to try another fish without leaving the tank fallow. Bacteria are ever-present - they're in the water, on the rock, and in your organisms. I don't think you have a bad situation - you just had a (rather normal) loss.

Remember, fish go through a lot to get to you and the losses can be high. Each transfer is stressful. For wild-caught fish, this means being caught and put in a bucket or hold, moved from a hold to transfer tanks, from transfer tanks to boxes where they're shipped across oceans to somebody else's holding tanks, then into boxes and shipped to your LFS, then from your LFS to you - all in a matter of days (if your LFS isn't quarantining). This is just one of the reasons why a good quarantine practice is something that you should implement early on. In this case, it's your first fish, so your display might double as a quarantine to start. However, as you add fish in the future, my advice is for you to set up a quarantine that allows you to not only make sure that the livestock that you bring in (in the future) is not diseased, but also to give the fish a chance to settle down and get stronger.

Edited by Origami2547

Could be C02 Burn. In most cases Chromis are Shipped from the Collectors to the Supplier in huge bags (About 5 Gallons). Each bag can contain over 100 fish. I have seen this folks. The oxygen in the bag...if they choose to use it can delete quickly. The fish are exposed to CO2 in the bags which can cause a "Burning" of the skin of the fish. It happens alot with chromis and damsels because of the means that they are shipped. Then they pick up secondary bacterial infections because of the skin irritations.

In most cases it can show up a day or two after arrival. I have seen that wound very often from fish sent from a certain fish wholesaler who shall remain nameless.

Nothing can be done.

Could be C02 Burn. In most cases Chromis are Shipped from the Collectors to the Supplier in huge bags (About 5 Gallons). Each bag can contain over 100 fish. I have seen this folks. The oxygen in the bag...if they choose to use it can delete quickly. The fish are exposed to CO2 in the bags which can cause a "Burning" of the skin of the fish. It happens alot with chromis and damsels because of the means that they are shipped. Then they pick up secondary bacterial infections because of the skin irritations.

In most cases it can show up a day or two after arrival. I have seen that wound very often from fish sent from a certain fish wholesaler who shall remain nameless.

Nothing can be done.

Nothing can be done.

Something can be done- Keep smaller fishes that have been shipped this way in QT for at least a week. If you know something like this occurs, it is your job as the retailer to make sure that the fish are healthy enough to be sold.

Something can be done- Keep smaller fishes that have been shipped this way in QT for at least a week. If you know something like this occurs, it is your job as the retailer to make sure that the fish are healthy enough to be sold.

I just wondered if you would clarify this statement. When I read this, it sounds to me like you are specifically pointing out Sean and Aquaco of not quarentining their fish. He does quarentine.

It would sound better if you changed it to specify all retailers.

Sandy

I just wondered if you would clarify this statement. When I read this, it sounds to me like you are specifically pointing out Sean and Aquaco of not quarentining their fish. He does quarentine.

It would sound better if you changed it to specify all retailers.

Sandy

It was a broad retailer spectrum statement. It wasn't meant to target Sean and/or AQUACO.

your statements makes me laugh. NOW it is up the LFS ? Couple of weeks ago you said you would buy a fish UN-QT if it was cheaper. Why can't the customer be responsible at some point? It's getting old that people (blanket statement here not accusing anyone) are blaming our LFS. Take some responsibility on what you buy. THIS STATEMENT is not targeted at anyone, it is a blanket statement.

your statements makes me laugh. NOW it is up the LFS ? Couple of weeks ago you said you would buy a fish UN-QT if it was cheaper. Why can't the customer be responsible at some point? It's getting old that people (blanket statement here not accusing anyone) are blaming our LFS. Take some responsibility on what you buy. THIS STATEMENT is not targeted at anyone, it is a blanket statement.

+1.

No offense taken, Zygote has been to our store and we do a great job with QT.. Again, no offense taken... Please no flame war. Even with QT things happen. Did you know that a certain percentage of fish imported die due to the switch from synthetic saltwater from NSW... This is a science, but not so exact. I learned about the C02 burn issue from a Big Time importer I cant tell you how many chromis I have seen with issue.

I was just trying to say that perhaps delicate fish species should be kept in a longer QT process so there isn't such a high rate of loss on the retailers' end and at the hobbyist level. Ultimately what everyone is trying to do ( I hope ) is to make sure the fish live full lives in captivity with less depletion of natural ocean stock. Yes- it is up to the retailer to QT delicate species and to possibly inform the customer that although the green chromis is only $2, it is a delicate fish when young and extra precautions are necessary.

Yes- for the record, I made the statement that I would buy un-QT'd fish at lower prices. I've been on the retail and wholesale end of the fish trade for 15+ years and have a good understanding of fish and invert health and know the risks associated with them. Other people and hobbyists might not be as informed and therefore, it is up to the retailer to inform them of the risks associated with delicate fishes rather than sell them a bunch of juvenile chromis and not tell them about their inherent mortality rates.

No- I wasn't pointing fingers either.

Edited by zygote2k

Nothing can be done.

Really? Nothing?

Do you buy from this nameless wholesaler? Certainly, resellers have the option of which wholesaler to purchase from, don't they?

And if this wholesaler is handling/shipping in such a poor manner, why not call them out and name them? I'd like to know which wholesalers are treat the livestock poorly.

It's up to all of us, wholesalers, resellers, and consumers to make the right choices to help protect the things we love.