What Killed My Fish And What Should I Do

Josh

Really? Nothing?

Do you buy from this nameless wholesaler? Certainly, resellers have the option of which wholesaler to purchase from, don't they?

And if this wholesaler is handling/shipping in such a poor manner, why not call them out and name them? I'd like to know which wholesalers are treat the livestock poorly.

It's up to all of us, wholesalers, resellers, and consumers to make the right choices to help protect the things we love.

This is the point that I was trying to make, but was obviously less succinct.

I was trying to be insightful, I dont like the direction that this post is take and my input and professional advice will no longer be given...

It is much appreciated.

Really? Nothing?

Do you buy from this nameless wholesaler? Certainly, resellers have the option of which wholesaler to purchase from, don't they?

And if this wholesaler is handling/shipping in such a poor manner, why not call them out and name them? I'd like to know which wholesalers are treat the livestock poorly.

It's up to all of us, wholesalers, resellers, and consumers to make the right choices to help protect the things we love.

I wonder... how much choice of wholesalers is there, really? What if this nameless wholesaler (and I doubt the name would do us much good, unless we deal with wholesalers) has the best selection of all the right fish - but you can only get the leopard wrasse as part of a shipment containing 50 chromis? I know there ARE people on this forum that have dealt at that level. I certainly haven't. All of our local retailers that I know I am sure try their best to get healthy fish, and a good selection, and keep prices reasonable. I have no problem with Chromis: $2. Chromis quarantined 1 week: $4. Chromis quarantined 2 weeks: $10 Chromis with a 30-day money-back warranty: $30. Chromis - guaranteed not to infect anything in your tank, or we replace your chromis, all of your other livestock, your tank, stand, skimmer and refugium: $1,000.

bob

I agree that the local resellers that are involved with this club are conciencious and concerned to some extent. Sean from Aquaco has said that he does not purchase from the nameless wholesaler, and I believe Sean from Fins and Feathers has also posted about his some of his efforts.

Kudos to these resellers! These are the type of efforts that we, as concerned consumers, should encourage.

But we, the consumers, can and will do more if we have more information to work with. I hope Sean continues to provide insightful tales and horrors of the industry. That will help us understand how bad it really is, and maybe it will help us understand that we are sometimes part of the problem.

Hypothetically, what if we knew that a wholesaler, let's say, The Bozo Company, was poorly handling livestock to the point that the consumer, let's call him Josh, buys a Blue Chromis and it dies because of the handling of the Bozo Company and there is nothing he can do to save it.

Then a concerned citizen, let's call him Bob, is offended that the Bozo Company would treat the livestock in such a poor manner. Bob does several things. He calls local resellers and asks them not purchase from this terrible company. Bob also writes the Bozo Company to complain and ask them to treat the livestock better.

The Bozo Company continues as usual, but Bob talks to Almon, and then John. Almon talks Jim and Susan. Now there are several concerned consumers that are asking the resellers to stop purchasing from the Bozo Company, and writing letters. We all talk to more consumers, and post threads and blogs, and eventually, there are 10,000 concerned consumers asking the resellers to stop purchasing from Bozo Company. There are 10,000 concerned consumers that are writing the Bozo company, and other concerned organizations, asking the Bozo Company to treat the livestock better.

I think that would affect change.