clownfish trio

zygote2k

I have a small tomato clown and I just added a mature mated pair to the tank. They host in an RBTA. What happens to the small original clown? Does it become male or female or remain juvenile?

(edited)

Actually at present time, they are all living together in the RBTA. There has been zero signs of aggression from any of the 3. I was wondering if there will be 2 males or 2 females or...

Edited by zygote2k

I agree that after a little while, the mated pair will go after the smaller one. However, if you were to add several at the same time, one will become female, and the rest will be male, untill the female dies, then the biggest male becomes female... I believe this is the way it happens, I remember reading about it, but don't remember exactly, I know that there will be only one female, and the rest will be either juvi's or male. I think I have it right though.

Yep it doesn't work unless you have a HUGE tank the clownfish will pick on the straggler! I've seen it done in a few larger 125 tanks, but the straggler would need his own anemee and would have to fight off the other two.... I've seen it done on a nano scale, but learn from my lesson it can't end well why risk a fish:( I killed a beatiful black occelaris and I feel terrible about it!

I don't think I'll have to worry about any aggression. They all seem to get along in the same RBTA. My fish are always happy because they live in a more natural setting than most tanks.

How long have you had the mated pair? This has nothing to do with a more natural tank because in nature, the smaller clown would eventually be bullied to the point of leaving so its irrevelant. Are you sure this is a mated pair and not just two from the same brood or a couple that isnt a pair or mated yet because that might explain it. The main question though is the first I asked in this post because if it is in fact a mated pair, then my bet is that they haven't established themselves fully yet.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

I had a mated pair of occelaris in my tank. One died (the female) and I added a trio of small occelaris with the idea of having a little clownfish harem. Two of the new additions have gotten along quite well with the existing clownfish (about 2x their size to start). All three stay close together, rarely venturing far from their anemone island. The 4th never quite fit in though. I never saw any aggression whatsoever, even when he would occasionally stop by and hang out for a while, but for the most part he just did his own thing -- hanging around near the surface and once in a while surfing the overflow. I worried about him though and so I decided to donate him to a new home - where his is quite happily swimming around with another clownfish to the delight of some very appreciative kids. :) So now I am left with a trio of clownfish in my tank. One big, two small. All seem quite content so far, but I haven't seen any eggs yet so I don't think I have a mated pair. Heck, I might have nothing but a San Fransisco bath house for all I know. Time will tell. The good thing about clownfish though is that they are easy to catch and easy to find new homes for, so if some aggression does develop I plan to be quick with the net.

This sounds like it's the "typical" clown fish relationship where you have a bunch of juvis/males and when the female dies the largest male becomes one... I'd guess that they start breeding at some point but you never know i guess. I've always wanted to get a large group(say5 or so) of clowns as juvis and go from there...

If your female dies, get a new one smaller than your current male. They will pair up in time and the larger male will change to become female.

I had a mated pair of occelaris in my tank. One died (the female) and I added a trio of small occelaris with the idea of having a little clownfish harem. Two of the new additions have gotten along quite well with the existing clownfish (about 2x their size to start). All three stay close together, rarely venturing far from their anemone island. The 4th never quite fit in though. I never saw any aggression whatsoever, even when he would occasionally stop by and hang out for a while, but for the most part he just did his own thing -- hanging around near the surface and once in a while surfing the overflow. I worried about him though and so I decided to donate him to a new home - where his is quite happily swimming around with another clownfish to the delight of some very appreciative kids. :) So now I am left with a trio of clownfish in my tank. One big, two small. All seem quite content so far, but I haven't seen any eggs yet so I don't think I have a mated pair. Heck, I might have nothing but a San Fransisco bath house for all I know. Time will tell. The good thing about clownfish though is that they are easy to catch and easy to find new homes for, so if some aggression does develop I plan to be quick with the net.

What's a San Francisco bath house?

What's a San Francisco bath house?

A completely inappropriate reference which should probably be deleted since this is a family forum . . . but I was referring to the possibility that my very close-knit trio might at the moment be all-male, rather than a "mated" pair or group. :blush: Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . .

well if you start with all new juvies then you would have one female(larger) one male(smaller) and a juvie(even smaller) then if you lose the female then they will step up in order

male=>female and juvie=>male...then you can add another juvie.

in the wild there are a set order of juvies to accompany the male and the female in the anemone and the other juvies hang out in the greenwater. then when one of the juvies mature then one of the green water juvies go to the anemone to wait its turn to be all grown up.

learned that from daphne fautin in the first WAMAS symposium. :)

HTH

A completely inappropriate reference which should probably be deleted since this is a family forum . . . but I was referring to the possibility that my very close-knit trio might at the moment be all-male, rather than a "mated" pair or group. :blush: Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . .

How do you know about these "bath houses" ?

well if you start with all new juvies then you would have one female(larger) one male(smaller) and a juvie(even smaller) then if you lose the female then they will step up in order

male=>female and juvie=>male...then you can add another juvie.

in the wild there are a set order of juvies to accompany the male and the female in the anemone and the other juvies hang out in the greenwater. then when one of the juvies mature then one of the green water juvies go to the anemone to wait its turn to be all grown up.

learned that from daphne fautin in the first WAMAS symposium. :)

HTH

Thanks- this is what I was looking for.

The reef tank at the Museum of Natural History has about 7 clownfish. There is a pair hosted in a giant clam and about 5 or 6 others that take turns entering the space and being chased out, and generally just hang around the edges. I spent about 30 minutes just watching them. The mated (?) pair also occasionally dive into the clam. It's fun to watch especially if you want to see the behavior of a bunch of clowns!

Laura

I thought that was pretty hilarious actually.

• 7 years later...