Why they call it "Blue Ridge" coral

lancer99

Yes, but this coral is very hardy and will easily encrust back over that area.

So, because there was no top-off, you think a higher salinity caused this?

Yes, but this coral is very hardy and will easily encrust back over that area.

So, because there was no top-off, you think a higher salinity caused this?

I'm betting he is going to say the top of the coral was DRY for several days... :)

bob

I'm betting he is going to say the top of the coral was DRY for several days... :)

bob

Hahah

I had one go totally white one day... no known reason, but I am sure there was cause. Looked dead for sure. Recovered 100% in 2 weeks. Thanks again Almon, cool coral!

i read somewhere that some corals when they die their skeleton turn blue and not white like most corals....

is it healthy?

The blue part is dead...

For any that didn't understand some of the references here - you can buy 'Blue Ridge' live rock sometimes - basically, it looks just like the dead part of his 'blue ridge coral'.

bob

bob

Bob wins!

The water level just got too low and the top was exposed to the air.

As Almon said, it's a very hardy coral. Just a few days later, it's already starting to encrust the bare skeleton...you can (kinda) see the white line on the old tissue, which is new growth. So as long as algae doesn't get a foothold on the skeleton, I'm good to go!

It has also completely encrusted the putty I used to attach it, and the LR beneath it, about 4-5" in all directions.

I'm sure everyone knows this is a SOFT coral :)

-R

Yep, it's a soft coral, one of two (along with Organ pipe) that forms a skeleton.

Maybe not one of the most exciting, but looks pretty groovy (IMHO) when its polyps are extended:

DSCN4516heliopora.jpg

DSCN4522helipora.jpg

Cheers,

-R

You all have given me some good info on this coral. I picked one up from MS a couple of weeks ago. I started a frag tank and was buying a few frags to get started. I am glad it went to the frag tank first. There is one head of aptasia poking out from the frag. DANGGIT! :cry:

I may break off a piece and attach it in the main tank to see how it progresses.

Does any one know if it requires help to slough off what appears to be thin shiny coat of slime? I blasted it with a turkey baster a few times, but it seems to come back. Is that a sign of growth or a problem?

Ron

I'm getting ready to go away for 10 days, my ATO is in place and I have a couple people to feed the fish. Keeping salinity low will buy you a little time should you get too much evaporation without an ATO. If you travel at all an ATO is crucial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
(edited)

Just as it was overgrowing the red algae on the exposed tips, I spent too long in Montreal again and it got exposed to air.

It seems to be easily able to overgrow the red algae:

DSCN2840hctop.jpg

Overgrowing more of the rock:

DSCN2842hcall.jpg

The polyps look kind of groovy with the flash!

DSCN2884hcwithflash.jpg

-R

Edited by lancer99