Children's Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders Twin 65G Reefs

Rascal

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered turning one or both of these tanks into a planted tank? Or at least adding macroalgea to the display tank?

It seems to me that this might be a good solution to the skimmer problem you have with these tanks. I've run my seahorse tank skimmer free for 3+ years now and the nitrates are always very low and usually undetectable because of all the macroalgea I have. I've been collecting macros for awhile now and have a nice collection of interesting and colorful macros. I would be more than happy to give you a nice collection of them such as my blue ball, red feather, red grape, titan, codium, dragon's tongue, neomeris etc. I'm just a few mile away in Annandale and could drop the macro by whenever is good for you.

With a low light/high nutrient tank with no option for a sump and limited skimmer options I think a mixed softie/planted tank would be a great choice. I think a well done macro tank could be just as pretty and interesting for the kids to watch. I usually get more comments and interest from friends and visitors on my planted tank than my more traditional reef tank.

If you do decide to connect them via the u-tubes I have and old overflow box with a brand new u-tube that you can have. Making one a planted tank and the other a reef tank would be really interesting IMHO and the planted tank could act as a nice biological filter for the second tank.

Have you considered turning one or both of these tanks into a planted tank? Or at least adding macroalgea to the display tank?

I have considered it, and it is a good idea. A planted sea horse and pipe fish tank might go over spectacularly, but being as how the tanks are only an inch or two apart I'm not sure how this would look visually if one tank was a reef and the other completely different. Plus I have zero experience with keeping horses, and this probably isn't the place for me to experiment. It may sound strange to all of us who have experience with this hobby, but the last thing these kids need to have to deal with is death of any kind. I am really trying hard to only put in things that I know how to keep and I know from experience are hardy and compatible with the other inhabitants. As for putting macros in the display, the problem is I really want to make sure we have sufficient herbivores in there to keep nuisance algae at bay, and I don't think macros would fare well for long in such a system.

If you need more cured live rock, I can donate at least 20lbs.

I think we could still use some more, so if you have some to spare that would be great. Send me a PM.

I have not read this whole thread but I have a sump I can donate if needed. If not i can sell the sump and give you the $$.

Rik: Thanks. Unfortunately they have no space for a sump but $$ for equipment and livestock we certainly can use.

Find another MCE600 for that price, and I'll take care of the cost for you.

bob

Bob:

Funny you should mention that . . . guess what I found earlier today on RC? :) He says about $310 shipped from Richmond for a 1.5 yr old unit: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=deltec

Your offer is extremely generous, and I certainly won't hold you to it. On the other hand any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Here's a couple of updated shots after adding some of the nice live rock donated by dshnarw:

IMG_1784_edited-1.jpg IMG_1783_edited-1.jpg

You can see a little yellow tint coming back in the water on the left tank. Not sure why exactly b/c the skimmer is working great and I am running chemi-pure in there as well. I've never seen water in a reef tank get yellow like that. My only guess is it must be something coming out of the rock.

The 20# of rock offered by vaironman turned into more like 50-60#, and with that and the rest of the dshnarw's rock we completely reaquascaped today. Still a little cloudy in the pics, but they are starting to look like reef tanks!

IMG_1786_edited-1.jpg IMG_1787_edited-1.jpg

xCGx filled a 5 gallon bucket with corals for us last week, including this huge monti cap. I didn't think there would be anyplace to fit it, so I got out the hack-saw and came up with this: IMG_1785_edited-1.jpg

I'll try to post some more pics later in the week as things (hopefully) clear up.

Bob:

Funny you should mention that . . . guess what I found earlier today on RC? :) He says about $310 shipped from Richmond for a 1.5 yr old unit: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=deltec

Your offer is extremely generous, and I certainly won't hold you to it. On the other hand any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Mike

No problem - should I paypal it to the link you posted for 'tank donations' ??

bob

No problem - should I paypal it to the link you posted for 'tank donations' ??

bob

Yes, or just paypal to "gracesprano@yahoo.com". Thanks so much.

Yes, or just paypal to "gracesprano@yahoo.com". Thanks so much.

Done! Sent a little extra while I was at it.

bob

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Bump. I was hoping to find a reference to this tank. I have been donating my time to this project. Currently in the upgrade process. To include Radions XR15Ws (4) live rock and (2) Tunze 9004 skimmers. They are in need of an automated ATO for both tanks. I was thinking along the line of AVAST ATOs with peristaltic pumps to overcome distance issues. A RO unit to have fresh RO on hand, evaporation rate exceeds my ability to make the trip . LMK

H- where is this tank? Heading out, don't have time to read it all.

Any other items?

Edited by DuffyGeos

H- where is this tank? Heading out, don't have time to read it all.

Any other items?

Looks like Richmond?

This is from late 2010-2011, no information since. H, at what capacity are you helping here? Is there a contact? Are these still running? Is the nurse who is also a hobbyist still there?

I worked on these 2 tanks with TFYB for 2 years. 2 complete tear-downs and rebuilds after excess food issues and then budgetary issues resulting in less than desirable conditions. Coral Hind donated light bulbs, other members donated live rock and corals, we donated fish too.

IMHO, the 2 side by side tanks need to be scrapped and a completely new(er) system needs to be built for the existing space. One of the cabinets below could easily be turned into a sump area too. 

If you put Tunze 9004 skimmers on them, that will be the 4th HOB skimmer to have been used.... Evap is ridiculous and I would often come in to see the tanks 4-6" below normal water level.

Edited by zygote2k

I would set a skimmer up that can recirc the air on the skimmer. That cuts evap rates a good bit.

I am willing to help with donations. Just let me know what the plan is and what items are needed.

IMHO, the 2 side by side tanks need to be scrapped and a completely new(er) system needs to be built for the existing space. One of the cabinets below could easily be turned into a sump area too.

Thanks for chiming in. Reading through the build it really seemed like two tanks were more trouble than they were worth. Based on the little I know, I was thinking the same thing. Plus even in the five years since this was setup I think equipment has made leaps and bounds. I would be willing to offer equipment or some dollars if there was enough serious interest.

Thanks for chiming in. Reading through the build it really seemed like two tanks were more trouble than they were worth. Based on the little I know, I was thinking the same thing. Plus even in the five years since this was setup I think equipment has made leaps and bounds. I would be willing to offer equipment or some dollars if there was enough serious interest.

Rob I agree but there are restrictions as far as what space can be used. I inquired about the same thing. In addition I agree that 1 large tank would be a better approach for a reliable system. I was informed that the monies where limited when it came to a display therefore the 2 displays where setup once again. I an scheduled to revisit them tomorrow and will provide an full assessment and report back . I also think that a new thread should be started . I will work on that as well. Thanks everyone for chiming in , except you Rob :laugh:

I'll donate towards new equipment too if someone starts a collection.

Arlington, Va

If this tank is in Arlington, I am more than happy to help.

I'll donate towards new equipment too if someone starts a collection.

What would be the route for setting up said account . I guess paypal Friend & Family with a message in regards to   

Children's Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders