Children's Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders Twin 65G Reefs

Rascal

I would like a bit more information on how it's sitting now, who's still involved, and if they even want to keep it going.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this tank is in Arlington, I am more than happy to help.

Thanks Isaac. I think the biggest item to acquire would be a custom built tank to include a built in sump on 1 end ?

Who has kept these tanks running since then? It seems like there are a handful of people who have had a touch to this recently. Dc, what time are you swinging through tomorrow? If like to come take a look.

I am thinking I should be on site around 14:30 Tomorrow

Edited by DCReefer1964

The maintenance costs were always something that their budget didn't allow much for. They recently were bought by a private entity and I'm sure that is causing further budgetary concerns. We also used to service the 2 freshwater tanks at the same time.

I had asked our contact person to put together something for WAMAS and see if enough donations could be raised to ditch the 2 tanks and replace with a system built for the space available but it fell through.

The maintenance costs were always something that their budget didn't allow much for. They recently were bought by a private entity and I'm sure that is causing further budgetary concerns. We also used to service the 2 freshwater tanks at the same time.

I had asked our contact person to put together something for WAMAS and see if enough donations could be raised to ditch the 2 tanks and replace with a system built for the space available but it fell through.

That's a concern for me, I think the initial cost of setting up and getting going is great, and can probably be handled via the kindness of WAMAS, but the best of intentions will not leave the tank/tanks being serviced forever, unless there is some kind of maintenance company handling it. I think a lot of these projects fall off not because there is not enough money or equipment or time to start it, but there is not enough to sustain.

That's a concern for me, I think the initial cost of setting up and getting going is great, and can probably be handled via the kindness of WAMAS, but the best of intentions will not leave the tank/tanks being serviced forever, unless there is some kind of maintenance company handling it. I think a lot of these projects fall off not because there is not enough money or equipment or time to start it, but there is not enough to sustain.

Quantum Reefs currently has the maintenance contract. I have offered my services to cut the cost. This is how I have gain knowledge of said installation.

Another problem was that when it was time to get bulbs changed or fix a piece of equipment, that there was simply no budgetary allowances to handle these things. We as a maintenance company provided labor at a reduced rate but it wasn't feasible to do it long term unless we simply volunteered to absorb the costs.

The overall success of this project really comes down to having a properly prepared budget by the parent organization.

Another problem was that when it was time to get bulbs changed or fix a piece of equipment, that there was simply no budgetary allowances to handle these things. We as a maintenance company provided labor at a reduced rate but it wasn't feasible to do it long term unless we simply volunteered to absorb the costs.

The overall success of this project really comes down to having a properly prepared budget by the parent organization.

Totally agree Rob. Made a visit yesterday and found the S.G. At 1.030 the 10 gallons of RO water had not been touched. I have scheduled a meeting with th director next week to discuss some concern before I fully engage in this project fully.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a TUNZE 9010 any out there. In addition I would like to tank AVAST for their support.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it appears Tunze USA, AVAST, WAMAS and possibly Reef Savvy is onboard this time. Looking for a good ATO container 30 gallon.

I still would like some more information about this build, center, and who's heading it up.

What is there now? Are you servicing this tank, or quantum? Is there a contract? A plan? Is there a contact on site? Are they interested in keeping this going?

I really want to help, but a comprehensive report would really help ramp involvement, and understanding about what's happening here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still would like some more information about this build, center, and who's heading it up.

What is there now? Are you servicing this tank, or quantum? Is there a contract? A plan? Is there a contact on site? Are they interested in keeping this going?

I really want to help, but a comprehensive report would really help ramp involvement, and understanding about what's happening here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it takes all that to get you off your ? Then stand by and watch. I am posting when I do have the time then who do you think is heading it up. 

Quantum Reefs currently has the maintenance contract. I have offered my services to cut the cost. This is how I have gain knowledge of said installation.

If it takes all that to get you off your ? Then stand by and watch. I am posting when I do have the time then who do you think is heading it up. 

OK,

1. rude

2. see your quote above.

I'm asking, because there is all this talk of requested donations, and people helping and people that would like to put in help. Then there is very vague information about the tank and what's happening. I've gotten more answers from Rob who serviced the tank with his company years ago.

I didn't think that what I posted up was a really big ask, but if you're heading this up, you can reference the posts below where I have asked questions and you have not answered them.

Looks like Richmond?

This is from late 2010-2011, no information since. H, at what capacity are you helping here? Is there a contact? Are these still running? Is the nurse who is also a hobbyist still there?

I would like a bit more information on how it's sitting now, who's still involved, and if they even want to keep it going.

Who has kept these tanks running since then? It seems like there are a handful of people who have had a touch to this recently. Dc, what time are you swinging through tomorrow? If like to come take a look.

I'll be standing by watching, I look forward to an update.

Ok since Rob chimed in and answered a lot of questions about this I did not think that additional info would be needed. On 12 March you offered to stop and take a look I gave you a date and time frame, but never heard back from you. In closing I was going to start a new thread with all the details but figured since the long history of these tanks had already been covered why repost. If you or anyone else would like more details about this project and it's current state . Please PM me for the POC on site that you may make onsite survey and the validity of it's current needs. Just thinking of the children.

Yep, sorry, I couldn't stop by during the hours you were going there as work is 9-5 for me.

A lot of my questions are for whoever is servicing it, Rob answered my questions, but he has not had a touch on this tank for years. While those answers are appreciated, I am looking for up to date information.

If you're heading this up, I commend you, that's a wonderful thing to do. I don't think I've expressed otherwise. There is a long history of these tanks, and that's exactly what it is, history. Things change, I am wondering what the present story is, and what the future is looking like. I didn't think any of my questions were unreasonable, and I certainly don't think they warranted a snappy answer. I have a hard time figuring out what is going on with "Tanks For Your Business," "Quantum Reefs," and "you" all having a part of the story here.

I am of the opinion that it is still a good idea to start a new thread with the up to date information. I am also of the opinion that if you're going to actively participate in fundraising, there should be a presented business model, or plan presented. I'm certainly not going to pull teeth to get what I believe should be shared information already, and these are only opinions, so like I said, I'll be a spectator.

And they thought it was me who misjudged :ohmy:....................................................Not directed towards you 'Wood.

Edited by xabo

• 2 months later...

Got the ATOs from avast last week. The plan is to do a total reboot. Have received the grant decision from WAMAS therefore I am donating a skimmer I acquired. Trying to KIS with realistic expectations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Got the ATOs from avast last week. The plan is to do a total reboot. Have received the grant decision from WAMAS therefore I am donating a skimmer I acquired. Trying to KIS with realistic expectations.

Correction have not.

All these tanks need is an auto feeder, an ATO, and regular water changes every 2 weeks. leave staff hands out of them completely and tanks will be fine.

don't put any delicate corals- only tough hardy types and a few fish. KIS

Correct. Skimmers with collection cup drains as well. I have found skim scum on the shelf.