Sea Save Robbed me...what can i do?

Jen-gineer

I went to Sea Save and as usual, they didn't have a wide selection of fish in the store. I had my heart set on a midas blenny (college student budget haha) and so i ordered one with them and it was $25. So they told me that they would have it in within the next few weeks. So I went to the store a week later, and they didn't have it yet. The guy there gave me some reasoning along the lines of his supplier was charging way more than $25 for the ones they had, so he didnt' want to order it and have to charge me the difference....

So another week later i called this time (gas prices) and they said they still didn't have it. This time the girl Claire that worked there told me that she would call me when they got the fish in stock & took down my number. So about 2 months total passed and no one ever called me. Digging through my wallet, I found the receipt and so I called again. This time Bambi answered the phone and told me that they ordered my fish weeks ago, but that since I never came to pick it up they sold it. I told her that seemed hard to believe as I'd left my phone number with them on 3 separate occasions and hadn't received a solitary phone call from them. She said they didnt' have the time to call everyone who ordered fish, so that's why they hadn't called me. I didn't really care to be honest at this point and I told her I wanted my money back. She refused---told me that they would have to charge me a restocking fee!!!!!! I told her this was ridiculous and then all of a sudden, the guy that owns the place started calling me names in the background of the phone call, yelling, screaming and cursing about how dare I call and ask about my stupid $25. I told Bambi that I deserved my money back because they hadn't given me anything!!! The conversation quickly deteriorated with the two drug addict owners screaming and cursing at me for saying that I would have to press charges and report them to the BBB.

Still no money back & no fish...does anyone (including other vendors) know what my options are? I'm a relatively poor college student and these people are just scammers. I even googled their business on maps.google.com and there was only one review with 5 stars....written by them. So I can only imagine how many other people they have done this to.

Edited by Jen-gineer

Where is this place? Would you like company to go back there? I'll dig out my duster and go with you. Something about 6'4", 295Lbs and a duster tends to make people notice and play nicer.

Oh... and I'll wear a 3 piece suit under the coat, pin stripe... make myself look like a lawyer type with an attitude...

Edited by Kevin Garrison

Gas and a lighter?

Crack... dude smelled like the green leafy stuff when i was there. Hope you paid by credit card where you can reverse the charges

Edited by jason the filter freak

I'd go easy on calling people drug addicts in a public forum.

although you're posting in a private section of the site, I agree!

Also, I think you are better off settling this in person. Go in and tell them you'd like your pre-order money back since you didn't get the product they promised. If they refuse, call your local authorities to meet you there.

Edited by wdytat

I agree, defamation of character lawsuit, I would edit the posts ASAP.

Well this is a store I can cross of the list of LFS's to visit!

I only went there once, years ago. My experience was not so grand.

In related news, I learned a long time ago (unfortunately from a WAMAS member) that giving money up front today for something tomorrow just isn't something I'll do again. There are many unscrupulous people out there (and in here!).

Sorry to hear about your problems. If it was me, I would probably just cut my losses. They'll probably spit on your fish now.

tim

They told me that if I showed up at the store, they would call the police? Although I'd like to think I'm not a complete idiot, I'm fairly certain they can claim I'm trespassing. ...there goes that pin-stripe suit/gangster idea =(

So it would seem that small claims is my only option---so I guess if anyone else has been screwed by them...we could all get together and do some sort of goofball-ish class-action bc it's my understanding (now of course after the fact) that a lot of people have been duped & ripped off by them.

And I did pay with credit card, however they won't reverse the transaction bc it's been over 30 days.

gas and lighter hahaha :biggrin:

Let me chime in and officially reiterate what Ric said. Lets keep it nice folks. :)

They told me that if I showed up at the store, they would call the police?

That is a good thing. I would call them and let them know exactly when you will be there and that you would be more than happy to have the police present. That way you can explain to the police exactly how they ripped you off and file a claim of petty theft against them and save yourself a trip to the police station in the process. :)

Although I'd like to think I'm not a complete idiot, I'm fairly certain they can claim I'm trespassing. ...there goes that pin-stripe suit/gangster idea =(

If you enter a business during normal business hours for the sake of engaging in a transaction with that business you can't be trespassing.

So it would seem that small claims is my only option---so I guess if anyone else has been screwed by them...we could all get together and do some sort of goofball-ish class-action bc it's my understanding (now of course after the fact) that a lot of people have been duped & ripped off by them.

And I did pay with credit card, however they won't reverse the transaction bc it's been over 30 days.

That stinks about the CC. It will probably cost you more than $25 to even file the claim in small claims court.

That stinks about the CC. It will probably cost you more than $25 to even file the claim in small claims court.

Which is why you sue for the cost of the fish, plus court costs associated with having to drag them to court.

Which is why you sue for the cost of the fish, plus court costs associated with having to drag them to court.

True enough, but the court doesn't have to grant court costs even if you win. Plus there is the off chance that you could lose and you are out even more money. I just don't see much upside to trying to go to court over $25. (which is probably why SS is being snarky, they think it is too small an amount and most people would just let it drop.) Actually, I would be willing to bet this post and one over on CMAS would cost them far more in the long run than the $25 that they stole from their customer.

True! Guarantee no one that reads this will EVER buy from them!

Glad to have read this story.

I stopped in almost exactly a month ago. I was pretty impressed by the bangai cardinals they were breeding. I was considering trying to get a pair down the line.

I was a little concerned about the business practices of the place though.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

I understand your situation, but small claims court is not even worth you time for $25, a day in court (if they show up) or it will be rescheduled, than if you win, it comes a warrant in debt which to get that you have to goto court again to garnish wages, if you can get the proper info, than if they don't show up, it will get rescheduled again. So in the long run it could take up to a year or more and at least 4 or more court dates for $25.

I know from experience, I won a warrant in debt in 1997 for $1200.00 and he didn't pay, so I did the garnishment and after the court date, he just switched jobs and nothing. To date still nothing, he has bought a house, cars and with no problem.

As for your problem, you would be going after a business which is even worst. All that will happen it a judgement will go against the company but they still don't have to pay.

So in my opinion, just cut your loses, because it will cost you your time on top of your money in the long run.

Eric

If you enter a business during normal business hours for the sake of engaging in a transaction with that business you can't be trespassing.

Have to disagree here. If an owner, tenant, or other person with authority over the property (like a store manager or employee) tells you not go on the property and you do anyway, or you enter with permission and then they tell you to leave but you refuse to do so, you would be guilty of trespassing.

For my part, I just decided to get mad, write my little rant, and move on. Rather than thinking I paid $100 for two dead fish and one of the wrong species, I am choosing to think of it as paying $100 for an LE nondescript gray blenny and a lesson.

Because mine was a special order, I thought that maybe that was not their strong suit. Then I revisited their website and read

Have to disagree here. If an owner, tenant, or other person with authority over the property (like a store manager or employee) tells you not go on the property and you do anyway, or you enter with permission and then they tell you to leave but you refuse to do so, you would be guilty of trespassing.

Yes, if a person with proper authority asks you to leave then you could. I didn't think that was the case here. Besides, I would love to hear them explain to the police officer why they are trying to press trespassing charges against a customer whom they stole money from. That would be a very interesting conversation.

My one (and only) visit to them was mixed. Seemed like a reasonably nice outfit, but I couldn't stand the fact that they hovered over me and watched my every move.

After hearing Dave's story, I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, as a new startup...but now having heard Jen's story, I certainly won't be back.

-R