capsfan's 2.5g AIO pico reef build thread

capsfan

There is probably some, and it is such a small amount that the salinity could change rather quickly!

Smaller the body of water the more severe the shift of salinity

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smaller the body of water the more severe the shift of salinity

Yes, I know. I am just saying that there has been minimal evaporation since I put the glass top on.

Haven't updated in a while. I put a zoanthid frag in the pico a couple days ago and I am going to the lfs later today. Never know, I could come back with a frag or two. :biggrin: Sorry about the dirty glass and picture quality.

gallery_2631686_466_415281.jpg

gallery_2631686_466_954793.jpg

The zoas are nice. Whats going on with the GSP in the pic? And I agree I don't like blue legs either!

You have really got me wanting to do the same to my 2.5! But I'm thinking touch tank for my GF classroom!

Keep the pics coming!

Tank looks awesome! I may be wrong, but is that a little hair algae in the background of the seond pic :eek:

if so you might want to take care of it before it explodes :blast:

Edited by L8 2 RISE

The zoas are nice. Whats going on with the GSP in the pic? And I agree I don't like blue legs either!

You have really got me wanting to do the same to my 2.5! But I'm thinking touch tank for my GF classroom!

Keep the pics coming!

The GSP is closed just because I took the pictures right after I turned on the lights.

My blue leg tries to eat all my other crabs. I think I have lost at least three.

I could never get GSP to stay alive for an extended period of time in my pico

Thats funny, I have had no problems.

Tank looks awesome! I may be wrong, but is that a little hair algae in the background of the seond pic :eek:

The story with that... If you look at it really closely it looks like little blades of grass. It looks nothing like the hair algae in my 55 gallon (which has been taken over). When you touch it, it is harder than hair algae, but softer than Chaeto (which I have in the back of the tank). I am not really sure what the heck it is. Nevertheless, I have put in a red legged hermit to take care of this and the diatoms. I also put in some "de*nitrate" to try and take care of it. Whatever it is (and I don't think its hair) I don't want anything ruining my nice and clean pico tank. I am growing sick of my 55 gallon because the algae is crazy in there.

My two $20 orange clownfish in my 55 gallon started beating up on my $40 black clownfish. One was pretty beat up and looking bad. I put him in the 2.5 gallon just 'cause I don't have any other tanks. I'm not sure what I am going to do with this problem. Ill figure it out later. I do not really want to keep the black ocellaris in the pico very long because of my paranoia of algae problems. I hate algae.

Anyway. Here is a fuzzy picture. He is in the top right corner.

gallery_2631686_466_777425.jpg

Updates!

This weekend was very good. It was good for the following reasons:

1. I got my learner's permit.

2. I went to the Front Royal lfs.

3. I got some anemone shimp and a frag of zoas.

4. The Capitals won!

5. We went and shot guns.

6. The Redskins won!

7. New hockey sticks are scheduled to come in tomorrow.

8. I designed a thing for my signature.

All in all, a very good weekend. Anyway, here are some pictures of the tank since I now have two anemone shrimp and some GREEN zoas. I've always wanted green zoas. :biggrin: On the zoa rock, there were about three bristle worms, four little slug-like things, and a brittle star. I think everything is good, but I am not sure about the brittle. Is there anything wrong with it? I haven't seen it try to take anything apart, but I just want to be sure. Sorry about the pics, the glass is dirty.

Bristleworm (one of the star's legs can be seen below it)

gallery_2631686_466_484214.jpg

Shrimpy pics :biggrin:

gallery_2631686_466_289491.jpg

gallery_2631686_466_721215.jpg

gallery_2631686_466_931507.jpg

gallery_2631686_466_462028.jpg

gallery_2631686_466_126605.jpg

New FTS

gallery_2631686_466_736383.jpg

Side

gallery_2631686_466_1071378.jpg

I like this picture...

gallery_2631686_466_422094.jpg

I put the black clown in the 55 gallon again, but in an enclosure. My hopes are that if the oranges see the blacks in the enclosure and stop picking on them.

• 2 weeks later...

The tank looks really nice. Have you noticed much of an affect from having the fish in for a bit and adding the shrimp? Did you increase water changes because of it? Keep up the pics!

The tank looks really nice. Have you noticed much of an affect from having the fish in for a bit and adding the shrimp? Did you increase water changes because of it? Keep up the pics!

I actually took the fish out of the tank when I put the shrimp in. I didn't want to have the fish hurt the shrimp or anything like that. I have only done 1 water change during the whole time I have had the tank and seen no adverse effects. The one thing I am trying to figure out right now is what is up with my GSP. Most of the polyps keep retracted during the day. All the other coral is doing fine. I don't know what is up with it. I thought GSP was invincible.

I finally figured out what it was. It was some form of Caulerpa. The hermit crab took care of that pretty fast. No worries. :biggrin:

Mushroom

gallery_2631686_466_385887.jpg

gallery_2631686_466_252311.jpg

Well... Looks like I'll be getting some new coral soon for my tank. I got all A's on my report card and am going to Mr. Coral to make good on his offer. I'm thinking blue zoas. :biggrin: