capsfan's 2.5g AIO pico reef build thread

capsfan

I would go with the neon goby small lots of color and more active than the boring clown goby! glad to hear that she made it, chalk this one up as a learning experience!

Looking back through didn't notice, what kind of powerhead are you using? and other than the light was there any other equip being used. I want to set up a shroom tank!

Edited by Smoothtriqueter

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with the neon goby small lots of color and more active than the boring clown goby! glad to hear that she made it, chalk this one up as a learning experience!

Looking back through didn't notice, what kind of powerhead are you using? and other than the light was there any other equip being used. I want to set up a shroom tank!

The powerhead is a "Pro2 powerhead"? It runs from 60 to 90gph and is a tad strong for the tank. Only other equipment is the lights and the heater.

and the heater.

What does your temp stay around? The PH doesn't put off enough heat for the 2.5? or is it just a winter thing?

sorry for the 20?

What does your temp stay around? The PH doesn't put off enough heat for the 2.5? or is it just a winter thing?

It is a heater that automatically keeps the temp at 78 degrees. I don't know if the PH would put off enough heat to keep the tank warm.

sorry for the 20?

?^ :huh:

I got a Mandrinfish today!! :D He is really shy and hard to take pictures of. I'll post pics later.

i would definately move him, i got one about a week and a half ago and put him in a three month old 90 and added 2500 copepods and im kinda worried about him, but in a 2.5! :eek:

you gotta love those guys tho :biggrin:

Edited by fosterspike

Already moved him to the 55. Planning on asking the store if I can bring him back.

Is this a male or a female? If it's a male I might be interested. I have a lonely female and would love to have a maited pair again.

It doesn't have the big dorsal fin so I am guessing it is a male?

if it has a long point on the dorsal fin it is a male, yours is probably a female.

Edited by fosterspike

Glad to hear you moved her Tyler. ;) Keep a close watch on her to see if she is eating when you feed the tank. Try some live brine soaked in Selcon. If she eats that you may be able to wean her over to frozen mysis.

I was speaking from experience when I mentioned that it's not a good idea to put a fish in the 2.5. My 2.5 ran fishless (4 sexies tho) for almost three years, then I added a baby yasha haze goby and a randall's pistol to the tank. Within months I started having algae issues. I finally tore down the tank and put the goby in my 30 cube. The pistol died in the 2.5 for some unknown reason. The goby was about 3/4" long when I got it and it is now a happy fat 1 1/2-2" long now and paired up with a tiger pistol that burrows like mad.

There are a couple of really small gobies, and cool looking. I think Inna purchased a really tiny one a while back for one of her tanks. You might PM her and ask what kind is was. I'm pretty sure she got it from saltwaterfish.com.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, now it's time for a half-hearted non-detailed all-around update. My 2.5 has coraline on the glass and it looks annoying. My 55 gallon is totally hair algaed again and now it has coralline all over it. The one good thing is that my clownfish mated and laid eggs. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some new zoanthids for the tank. They are blueish. The sexy shrimp are getting kind of annoying because they never let my zoos open!

• 2 weeks later...

LOL! Then I won't suggest the little anemone shrimp, which I just added to my zoa 12g. They don't have an anemone so one has picked a yuma and the other a zoa frag, and both spend all day rolling around on top of their hosts - it's the funniest thing to watch. Of course, that means the zoa doesn't open much.....

• 1 month later...

Quick tank update...

All of the sexy shrimp have been washed into the "sump" area of the tank. That means that all my zoas are staying open! The only disadvantage is that I never see the shrimp anymore, but whatever. The mandarinfish is still alive and well in my 55 gallon tank. The zoanthids have grown quite a bit and I fragged the orange zoas in the middle of the tank in order to make space for some new zoas that are hopefully coming in the near future. Hopefully I will have some pics up sometime tomorrow.

(edited)

As promised, here are some updated pictures of my pico.

FTS

gallery_2631686_466_1165730.jpg

Random Zoas

gallery_2631686_466_219907.jpg

Side FTS

gallery_2631686_466_151847.jpg

Whole Tank

gallery_2631686_466_787178.jpg

Edited by capsfan

Lookin good. How about adding some small leathers or gorgonians or similar, something that grows out, away from the rock to add some depth. Also, If you're going to the fragfest, I can try to bring you a few small zoa frags.