The FragFest Frag Showcase

MisterTang

Just wanted to say a big "thanks!" to the fraggers this year, and show everyone what came out of it. Keep in mind that all these shots are one hour after being dipped and introduced into the tank:

Galaxea, with excellent polyp extension!

DSC_0929.jpg

Anthelia from a generous WAMAS member

DSC_0930.jpg

A great-looking SPS showing off

DSC_0937.jpg

Braaaaaaains

DSC_0931.jpg

Don't remember exactly what this is, but it's cool

DSC_0941.jpg

At first, my wife thought I brought a rock home with an algae problem :biggrin:

DSC_0942.jpg

Nice encrusting coral. I plan to isolate this one, as it looks voracious

DSC_0944.jpg

...and the surprise was this Zoanthid. It's in a daily bathing and QT regimen for two weeks because a batch of these were discovered to have flatworms at FF, but it really looks awesome, even under this pithy 15 watt regular-output freshwater florescent

DSC_0945.jpg

Nice, lucky you. Just watch for that galaxea.

I got the RBTA from the raffle :) It's being anemone-sat for a while. I only got 2 sps frags because I was late, but zero would have been fine as I really only went for the drilling lesson :biggrin: One of the frags is that brain, and the other is a branching type, the name for which I have no clue because too many people were talking.

I took an sps frag from each piece and mounted them late last night.

They are in QT (no I did not take the yellow polyps) and will post pics tonight.

As many of these frags that do well will be used to frag next year at FFE2

Kinda like recycling

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144-1.jpg

Glad you're enjoying that galaxea... And yes, be carefull where you place it. It will sting anything that is closer than 2-3" from it. I kept it in the corner by the overflow, to make it even harder for it to extend its sweepers against the current.

--Rob

I had a great time at the Frag Fest "08! Learned a lot and was amazed at the manipulation these sensitive organisms can take! Thanks to everyone that put it together and who donated the corals for fragging.

Here are my frags about an hour after putting them in the QT.

Poccillopora?

DSC_0002-16.jpg

Tabling Acro.

DSC_0003-16.jpg

Galaxea.

DSC_0004-24.jpg

They had pocillopora?! I really would have liked to have a frag of that.

I don't think they had anywhere near this variety of corals at the last Frag Fest... in the school hallway... with total chaos?

I would love to have some frags grow fast and big enough to frag them up and give them away at some big event - it's kind of like taking the hobby to the next level, and a way to feel good about oneself for being a successful reefer.

Do people have an understanding that frag fest frags are expected to not be sold later for profit?

(edited)

They had pocillopora?! I really would have liked to have a frag of that.

I don't think they had anywhere near this variety of corals at the last Frag Fest... in the school hallway... with total chaos?

I would love to have some frags grow fast and big enough to frag them up and give them away at some big event - it's kind of like taking the hobby to the next level, and a way to feel good about oneself for being a successful reefer.

Do people have an understanding that frag fest frags are expected to not be sold later for profit?

Pocillopora? You want pocillopora? PM me before the next time we're in the same state... I have a green poci 'frag' in my frag tank that is now about the size of a softball... It also reproduced sexually - and I have a couple of small ones - one of which MIGHT actually be movable. One is most definitely a part of my frag rack. I should auction my frag racks... one of them has about 10 orange bam-bam's, quite a bit of sunset montipora, and another SPS growing on it - and a TON of encrusting... ummm... that pinkish fuzzy stuff - gorgonian. The small one has the poci, and another sps growing well. But just holler for some green-tipped poci.

bob

Edited by lanman

Pocillopora? You want pocillopora? PM me before the next time we're in the same state... I have a green poci 'frag' in my frag tank that is now about the size of a softball... It also reproduced sexually - and I have a couple of small ones - one of which MIGHT actually be movable. One is most definitely a part of my frag rack. I should auction my frag racks... one of them has about 10 orange bam-bam's, quite a bit of sunset montipora, and another SPS growing on it - and a TON of encrusting... ummm... that pinkish fuzzy stuff - gorgonian. The small one has the poci, and another sps growing well. But just holler for some green-tipped poci.

bob

I'd bid on that!!!! I'll even start the bidding. $20!!!

A large number of the corals that were fragged during the frag fest were donated by the membership. It was a great mix of donated corals from WAMAS vendor sponsors and members alike. This frag fest could not have been a success without the generosity of both.

Thank you all who donated, participated, volunteered, played, ate, cooked, transported, and those who attended......and a special thanks to those who just put up with having a tank in the house.

I'd bid on that!!!! I'll even start the bidding. $20!!!

No you won't -- at least not in this forum area! :lol2:

I'll have to take you up on the poci offer :) A stupid emerald crab killed the green pocillopora I had.

Maybe there should be a frag rack growth competition. Frag rack of the month?

Glad you're enjoying that galaxea... And yes, be carefull where you place it. It will sting anything that is closer than 2-3" from it. I kept it in the corner by the overflow, to make it even harder for it to extend its sweepers against the current.

--Rob

I love it - just wish I could've had the whole colony :lol2:. As long as it grows out, I guess I saved ten bucks :biggrin:

Honestly, I wasn't expecting this kind of polyp extension in the first day, let alone the first hour. I've already moved several of these pieces around in my tank to prevent problems - I had an SPS on a plug that fell onto a zoanthid, and let's just say the zoa produced more snot than a kindergartener during flu season.

I also want some of that Poccillopora. I don't know why I didn't end up with any, because I intentionally tried to take a sample of everything except the tabling acro, which I was afraid I would kill :blush:

(edited)

I'll have to take you up on the poci offer :) A stupid emerald crab killed the green pocillopora I had.

Maybe there should be a frag rack growth competition. Frag rack of the month?

sales prohibited in this forum:

grnpoci.jpg

Frag rack with Sunset monti (think it's time to trim that thing?)

rack1.jpg

Same rack - encrusting gorgonian:

rack2.jpg

Another rack - with 'volunteer' poci, and some sps that sat there too long:

rack3.jpg

bob

Edited by davelin315

Bob is that some the fuzzy green pocillopora you got back from me a couple years ago? My tank use to be overrun with it. I lost almost all of mine except a small frag when I had the PH incident but it is now making a good comeback. I have at least two like you that have taken a liking to the frag rack.

(edited)

Those frag racks are incredible. Donate those to the next frag fest... have a demo on how to frag a frag rack.

I could use a couple 5$ poci frags if one is green. I wish my car had wings.

Edited by treesprite

Those frag racks are incredible. Donate those to the next frag fest... have a demo on how to frag a frag rack.

If you figure out how to frag the frag rack, LMK. I have the sam problem. Sunset growing on it, random zoas, etc.. I tried to get the corals off of it once but was not very successful ;)

(edited)

The galaxea, yellow polyps, and staghorn are doing well here too. The xenia frag I got didn't stand a chance though. Maybe next time.

How are those RBTA's doing?

Edited by wdytat

The galaxea, yellow polyps, and staghorn are doing well here too. The xenia frag I got didn't stand a chance though. Maybe next time.

Wow, my xenia took off! It has already started to grow new polyps. This was a surprise for me, as I completely foobar'ed it when I was gluing it to the frag disc - I had glue all over the polyps and thought they were a goner for sure. I decided the best thing was to just dunk them, and it turns out that the glue on the polyps didn't get a chance to cure. WHEW what a close one.

Moral of the story? :why: Let someone else do the gluing.

(edited)

sales prohibited in this forum:

rack3.jpg

bob

pm me how much for the aptasia on the rack?!?!?!? :biggrin:

lol

btw great pics mistertang i got some of the galxea too..hardy coral since it was exposed to sun and being out of water for 4+ hours (found in rock rubble)

Edited by GaryL

btw great pics mistertang i got some of the galxea too..hardy coral since it was exposed to sun and being out of water for 4+ hours (found in rock rubble)

Thanks. I'm really rooting for the SPS corals to turn out. I've always been interested in the LPS'es because they look cooler, what with all the movement in the currents and the neon-like colors, but SPS just seems more popular in the hobby, so I'm hoping mine does something spectacular. So far, it kind of just looks like I have a stick growing out of one rock.

(edited)

Bob is that some the fuzzy green pocillopora you got back from me a couple years ago? My tank use to be overrun with it. I lost almost all of mine except a small frag when I had the PH incident but it is now making a good comeback. I have at least two like you that have taken a liking to the frag rack.

Only if you used to live in Reston, and met me at Marine Scene to make the transfer. Whoever it was, I purchased two largish frags for $5 each. The other one WAS larger, until it fell off a rock, upside down, into all of my acans. They zapped it good!

One of my 'sexual' babies actually is on a frag plug :) the other frag on it is either dead, or in pretty bad shape.

Sorry - too late on the aiptasia! I killed it all last night. But I'm sure I'll have a new crop soon!

(Sales in this forum prohibited? Hehehe... The offer for the poci was FREE, and I don't think the offer to PURCHASE my aiptaisia was genuine.)

bob

Edited by lanman

(edited)

Thanks for everyone's hard work and effort. The FF was fun. It was my first so, I really don't have anything to compare it with but I wish I could have stayed longer. I missed most of the days events because I had to take the barrels home one at a time soso I didn't get anything from the fragging to show off. Looks like some really nice peices came out of that. I did pick up the rainbow monti in the auction. :clap:

I will post a pic of it as soon as I can get to a 'puter that'll let me up upload it to my photo album. Stupid firewall... Oh well.

Thanks again y'all.

Edit:

As promised, Here are the pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/forrestd991/30...381695225642642

http://picasaweb.google.com/forrestd991/30...381716228917298

http://picasaweb.google.com/forrestd991/30...382084000163490

http://picasaweb.google.com/forrestd991/30...382103852031554

Edited by Integral9