Frustrating experience at Marine Scene

Finding Nemo

What and where is "PA" LFS?

I think he meant Pristine Aquarium :why: Has anybody check out that store? Looking from their website its going to be awesome and close to home!

• 1 month later...

What and where is "PA" LFS?

That's funny that they might have to charge more, rotfalmao. How would they charge more when The Aquarium Company is less than a mile away and charges a lot less already for much nicer fish and corals? As soon as Marine Scene's customers figure this out, I think Marine Scene will be out of business or will have to cut their prices and improve their customer focus. Anyone who has been to The Aquarium Company knows this is true.

FN

I personally liked the $800 light they gave at the last meeting for a donation to the raffle though. :) It's strides...

Pricing is the discretion of the business model of whatever store you go to. Some charge more, some less. Just first educate yourself on all store policies and pricing values for the $.

agreed...and they do have their loyal customers as most shops will...i was loyal to the reef tank..but since then i shop around and look at the best value...so far its been only brk but am doing a tour and checking some others this weekend just for kicks and giggles.

• 4 weeks later...

To Finding Nemo:

I am sorry that your experience was frustrating. I can imagine that you might feel we misled or cheated or whatever you in this regard. I am grateful for the other members that have supported us in this. We cannot simply post all of our policys, etc. Not enough wall space for every thing that might be of substance.

We were the first in this area - since 1996 that bothered to suffer the effort and expense of quarantine. It is costly, labor intensive and an additional challenge to the complex operation we already have. It would be deceptive to offer fish for sale that are not quarantined. Believe me when I say how much more money we could have made by letting the customer take the risk. Then we would need the ever present sign you may see elsewhere - "NO GUARANTEE ON LIVESTOCK". We don't have a guarantee but in all rights really don't need one. We do suffer losses from the new batches of fish that arrive. We absorb it into the cost of a quality product. Sorry but there is no other way. Simple accounting. We could however make more money by not seperating fish and having a complimentary hold for a week and sell fish the moment they come in. Then we could lower our prices and you get stuck with the losses and then you just might have a reason to complain.

Imagine this if you can - you must realize that there are a number of people out there that aren't very good aquarists. Let's suppose they have some problems with their tanks and want to get rid of the fish. Well they bring them in and we just mix them in to general population and let you buy that fish. Do you really want that risk. We certainly don't. We are already taking a risk albeit a lesser one because we only allow trade ins on Tuesday so as to coincide with our normal program.

Honestly, I would prefer that we not take trade ins. Would be a H-E-double hockey sticks of a lot easier. We consider this a service and are glad to provide it as long as it works. For 12 years it has worked just fine.

We truly want to have a relationship with the WAMAS club and continue to offer discounts to members that are our chief critics while a non WAMAS member that maybe isn't doesn't get a discount.

I invite you and anyone else to contact me personally anytime you have an issue. It is my job and concern.

tw@marinescene.com

thanks

Tom White - Owner The Marine Scene

"We truly want to have a relationship with the WAMAS club and continue to offer discounts to members that are our chief critics while a non WAMAS member that maybe isn't doesn't get a discount"

I will be honest with you, Tom. This statement does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I think you have a great store, with great products. Your pricing is premium, but so is your product. I dare say, that this group tends to have a lot of experience with their tanks and vendors. Thus we are a little hyper critical at times. That being said, we are also very generous in praise for vendors that treat us well.

You have access to a group that spends a lot on the salt water aquarium hobby. We communicate effectively. We know the market. So, your discount allows your shop to compete more effectively with this group

You are right. I am taking the time and making an honest attempt at doing a better job in working with this group. My quote you referred to was made in context of a broad answer to the criticism of our policy. Didn't mean it to come off as anything other than the fact. WAMAS as a group has largely been critical and more often that not in response to situations where we really did nothing more than abide by our reasonable SOP. I realize the members often want a great deal of socializing and relationships which I wish I had more time for. In the past we/I have been not very supportive of the group other than the discount and we/I are making concerted efforts to do better. If there is any explanantion to my quote is that it is frustrating when we provide a discount not to our loyal customers but to those that bash us for the most mundane reason. I realize that can be taken as a generalization and it is not intended to be so but the past speaks for itself. We are hoping to continue to develop a better relationship with the group and will do our best to achieve that goal. Our only wish is less attacks and more in kind support from the club. We would like a win win.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

tom white

"We truly want to have a relationship with the WAMAS club and continue to offer discounts to members that are our chief critics while a non WAMAS member that maybe isn't doesn't get a discount"

I will be honest with you, Tom. This statement does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I think you have a great store, with great products. Your pricing is premium, but so is your product. I dare say, that this group tends to have a lot of experience with their tanks and vendors. Thus we are a little hyper critical at times. That being said, we are also very generous in praise for vendors that treat us well.

You have access to a group that spends a lot on the salt water aquarium hobby. We communicate effectively. We know the market. So, your discount allows your shop to compete more effectively with this group

"If there is any explanantion to my quote is that it is frustrating when we provide a discount not to our loyal customers but to those that bash us for the most mundane reason."

Who, us? :why:

I understand completely. Let's move on and work together.

You have an opportunity to get feedback (yes blunt feedback) for your discount that may pay dividends in your dealing with the full retail world, as well has the "hostiles". It is all we got, right?

Now, host a social and see how friendly we are! :cheers: :clap:

I'm confused. One person started this thread and was obviously disgruntled, but many members jumped in to defend your store and the quality of your livestock. Not sure why you would show such a negative stance towards our members. Not to mention to then turn around and say you're looking forward to expanding relationships with Wamas. Like quazi, you calling us your "chief critics" doesn't really sit right with me. I've been here a while now, and can really only think of one general issue that members gripe about your store, and I'm sure you know what that is so I won't highlight anymore negativity here. I only hope that you chose your words a little more carefully when referring to our members, as to not further isolate your store from them.

I also wanted to mention to you that I was highly impressed with your store when I finally made it out that way a few weeks ago. You had a coral that I had been looking for forever (Octo-frogspawn), and I'm very very happy with my purchase. My ricordea are doing well also. Thanks for the the healthy purchases.

As Tom said, he didn't want that to be generalized. I personally think Tom hit the nail here; many WAMAS members do end up bashing them for one reason or another. All of which I think are mistakes on the BUYERS fault, and not at all on The Marine Scene. The only "faults" I can see with the marine scene is that they have some higher prices (shouldn't be an issue with the WAMAS discount), and you don't necessarily get the "personal" experience, which is understanding considering the size of the operation. For those of you that haven't visited, I highly recommend you do, it's an amazing store with the biggest selection and store in this area. Also, the only threads you ever see about The Marine Scene are negative. I think Tom is definitely trying to turn it around and I think we need to stop tearing apart every single miss-quote. So for those of you that haven't been, go ahead and swing by, then post a review. The Marine Scene has taken a step in furthering relations with WAMAS, so now it's our turn to step up to the plate.

As Tom said, he didn't want that to be generalized. I personally think Tom hit the nail here; many WAMAS members do end up bashing them for one reason or another. All of which I think are mistakes on the BUYERS fault, and not at all on The Marine Scene. The only "faults" I can see with the marine scene is that they have some higher prices (shouldn't be an issue with the WAMAS discount), and you don't necessarily get the "personal" experience, which is understanding considering the size of the operation. For those of you that haven't visited, I highly recommend you do, it's an amazing store with the biggest selection and store in this area. Also, the only threads you ever see about The Marine Scene are negative. I think Tom is definitely trying to turn it around and I think we need to stop tearing apart every single miss-quote. So for those of you that haven't been, go ahead and swing by, then post a review. The Marine Scene has taken a step in furthering relations with WAMAS, so now it's our turn to step up to the plate.

what are you talking about? we have been supporting marine scene for many years and yes there have been complaints about the usual stuff but also comments of praise for the quality of their livestock. you of all people should know that constructive criticism is usually mistook as bashing (BRK anyone?) Besides have you actually researched vendor reviews on Marine Scene? I would seriously suggest getting your facts in order before declaring that WAMAS needs to step up to the plate.

Not to pile on, but the WAMAS discount at Marine Scene is a pain. You have to call up first and get your name on the list? That doesn't build trust in my opinion. And when applied, the discount does not get you near prices of other stores in the area.

In addition, I have no idea how difficult it must be to run a store, but the tone of some of these replies makes it seem like it's one great chore to have to offer up a discount to this club and at the same time countenance any criticism whatsoever from some members of this club. How many active members are there in this club? How may hundreds? The insinuations that we are all to blame for a few that complained perhaps a bit too loudly is not helpful.

Edited by WallyBackm

what are you talking about? we have been supporting marine scene for many years and yes there have been complaints about the usual stuff but also comments of praise for the quality of their livestock. you of all people should know that constructive criticism is usually mistook as bashing (BRK anyone?) Besides have you actually researched vendor reviews on Marine Scene? I would seriously suggest getting your facts in order before declaring that WAMAS needs to step up to the plate.

I know that we have been "supporting" Marine scene for many years, but I know that since I have joined, not even 6 months, I know, I haven't seen an actual *thread* started about how good they are, or a good experience there. Sure when people have a bad experience at TMS, there are a couple people put in a good word or defense in for them, but I've never seen a thread. I have seen several complaints about marine scene though, and all of which I feel could have been avoided by being a careful buyer. No I didn't do research before I wrote that reply, but I did before I wrote this one, and I still found no positive threads. I do remember the BRK insident and I have been seriously trying to avoid any more of these incidents. I don't see how my last reply can be called a bashing, I was just stating that I think WAMAS needs to give TMS a second chance without expecting bad things to happen. If anything it seems to me that your reply was a mega bashing if nothing else. As always should be the case, if you go into a store, make sure you know what your getting into and what their policies are.

Sorry if anyone took my last reply offensively, I definetly didn't mean it that way.

I believe members have the right to gripe about whatever they please. I have visited a lot of the local stores, some I love and visit regularly, some are just too far away for me to enjoy them as much as I would like. I have posted a few reviews of stores that I have visited. There has not been a single store in the area that I have had a negative review for including my LFS Roozens which we all know isn't the greatest at customer service. I spend more money in a store where I feel appreciated as a customer and if I don't feel the store deserves my business I take it to someone who does.

Everyone has their own opinion. Honestly if people had good thing to say about any store they would. If no one in Wamas has a extra ordinary experience thats not our clubs fault it the stores. I have my opinion on Marine Scene and I choose not to go there. There is nothing wrong with that. IMO club support is more than giving a 10% discount and donating to a raffle. We are lucky that we have alot of vendors that are fully engaged day to day and offer to host socials. Thats my $20 worth

I am pleased that so many have offered their opinions and all are respected. In all apologize for generalization. The fact remains that of all the criticisms we have ever received more than 90% have been via this forum from WAMAS members. Most of them have been IMO without a great deal of merit and often without a reasonable amount of substance. I can take most anything. I/we have been here for over 12 years and IMO managed to survive in a tough business. I like anyone wants to make a decent living. I want my staff to do the same. Our pricing model is part of the balance sheet. We need income to pay the bills.

No doubt there are always going to be cheaper places for anything. Some operators make that their focus. Our focus and expenses go toward quality product and a quality staff. Our discount is derived from the concept of what is typical from other supporting stores.

In response to the difficulty of getting a discount by "preregistering" let's change that. Quite simply we track sales data. Most retailers do. This is for convenience or so we thought. By "registering" we flag your name and input the discount under the individuals account so they don't need to show a card and the staff doesn't have to do anything at all. If you want to come in and get your discout then the first time you are here, sign up and get your discount then. Part of this was to ensure that members no longer paying the WAMAS dues would no longer be entitled to a discount. Defeats the purpose.

As far as pricing goes I did a bit of checking and found that before the 10% we are cheaper on several corals than one or more stores that are often referred to via this forum. I really have no idea where we stand. I really would like to do more for the club and would appreciate some feedback as what we could do. If a social is what you guys want, then by all means let's do that. Tell me what you need or what and I will make it happen.

Interestingly enough I have been working on better pricing for certain product lines and will be able to offer better pricing soon enough.

In retrospect there have been numerous positive comments about the marine scene via this forum over the years and thanks for that. Many of you don't know me but I have a lot of experience. I have been to the Philippines three times on collection trips with the local fishermen and have been on collection trips to Hawaii. I was heavily involved with the formation of The Marine Aquarium Council and have a lot of tank installations under my belt. Most of them large with complex installations. I have been caring for these tanks for many years. I have seen products come and go and seen corals and fish that previously were impossible to care for become a piece of cake. I am not in he store much and when I am I am stuck at my desk doing paperwork. However, anytime you want to stop by, by all means ask to say hello and introduce yourself.

I am encouraged once again that so many of you have taken the time to respond, good or bad.

Just let me know what you guys would like to see here and provided it's feasible I will do it.

thanks

tom white

P.S. Thanks John from BRK. You are a good man!

Edited by marinescene

Tom,

I would like to say thank you to you and your staff. I bought my first marine tank from you 5 or more years ago. At that time I did my research on new tanks and stands and I found your prices to be competitive. I still remember loading that 120 and stand into my truck to take home. I bought my live rock and first fish from you to stock the tank. I found your staff to be very helpful and knowledgeable. After that I branched out and tried other vendors. Yours was always the benchmark that I measured others by. Your efforts are truly the reason that we have so many good vendors in the area. If we did not have you to measure them by then we would be stuck with the Petco's of the world. Thank you again for proving that a model of responsibility and customer service can work in this industry.

Craig