Frustrating experience at Marine Scene

Finding Nemo

I purchased 2 clown fish at Marine Scene. One was purchased about 6 weeks ago and the other about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, they are almost exactly the same size and will not quit fighting, so I quarantined one and took I back to exchange it for a smaller one today.

When I took it in they explained that they will only accept returns on Tuesdays due to their quarantine process. At least that was the excuse they are asked to give for not exchanging their own fish. I explained that I work in DC and can't get there during store hours on Tuesday and they said that I could not exchange it then. I told them that all of the other fish stores I go to accept their own fish any day. They said they won't.

I have asked at Marine Scene before if I could exchange a fish if I had a problem and the answer was "yes," not "only on Tuesdays."

All other LFS that I have ever gone to, which is a lot, will accept a fish like this and put it in a separate quarantine tank. To me it sounds like a lame excuse to minimize returns, and is unquestionably deceptive up front.

The people that work there are always professional and polite, but this store policy is deceptive and disgraceful. Anyone else have a problem with Marine Scene?

FN

It would be nice if they put that policy 'up front' and made you acknowledge it when you purchase a fish.

It is pretty well-known HERE, on the WAMAS board, that they only take returned fish on Tuesdays - but I certainly dont' recall seeing a sign. I'm sure it's done for a reason - they are very careful with their quarantines. If your fish is returning with ich, they don't want it in a tank with already-quarantined fish.

bob

Moving this to the Vendor Experience forum.

By the way, there were a lot of stores back in Chicago that did not take any fish in, whether you purchased them there or not. Also, I would always advise calling first before bringing a fish back. You never know what the policy is until you ask directly about whether you can bring it in to the store. I also don't know if it's advertised, although I do know that Tuesday is their policy.

Moving this to the Vendor Experience forum.

By the way, there were a lot of stores back in Chicago that did not take any fish in, whether you purchased them there or not. Also, I would always advise calling first before bringing a fish back. You never know what the policy is until you ask directly about whether you can bring it in to the store. I also don't know if it's advertised, although I do know that Tuesday is their policy.

I moved here from Detroit and never had an issue there. I bet that the Chicago stores don't mislead people about it like Marine Scene.

FN

Saltwater fish are very sensitive. So most LFS has their own rule about exchange and return. It take time our of them to quarantine your return fish again. I would understand if they charge a small return fee, just like Bestbuy charge you restocking fee. I think MS is treating everybody else the same, not just you. They should have a right to do refuse it. If they only take return or exchange fish back on just Tuesday, they do that with everybody. Just like you have "excuse" of working in DC. I think it is a fair rule for them, and I don't think they are single you out. Most of us here know that MS is a little expensive place for SWF, but thier fishes always healthy. I understand your frustration, but your choice of words are pretty harsh: "deceptive and disgraceful."

Just my 2 cents,

Tee

I purchased 2 clown fish at Marine Scene. One was purchased about 6 weeks ago and the other about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, they are almost exactly the same size and will not quit fighting, so I quarantined one and took I back to exchange it for a smaller one today.

When I took it in they explained that they will only accept returns on Tuesdays due to their quarantine process. At least that was the excuse they are asked to give for not exchanging their own fish. I explained that I work in DC and can't get there during store hours on Tuesday and they said that I could not exchange it then. I told them that all of the other fish stores I go to accept their own fish any day. They said they won't.

I have asked at Marine Scene before if I could exchange a fish if I had a problem and the answer was "yes," not "only on Tuesdays."

All other LFS that I have ever gone to, which is a lot, will accept a fish like this and put it in a separate quarantine tank. To me it sounds like a lame excuse to minimize returns, and is unquestionably deceptive up front.

The people that work there are always professional and polite, but this store policy is deceptive and disgraceful. Anyone else have a problem with Marine Scene?

FN

Saltwater fish are very sensitive. So most LFS has their own rule about exchange and return. It take time our of them to quarantine your return fish again. I would understand if they charge a small return fee, just like Bestbuy charge you restocking fee. I think MS is treating everybody else the same, not just you. They should have a right to do refuse it. If they only take return or exchange fish back on just Tuesday, they do that with everybody. Just like you have "excuse" of working in DC. I think it is a fair rule for them, and I don't think they are single you out. Most of us here know that MS is a little expensive place for SWF, but thier fishes always healthy. I understand your frustration, but your choice of words are pretty harsh: "deceptive and disgraceful."

Just my 2 cents,

Tee

If they disclosed their policy to everyone up front, I would agree with you completely. However, when you only pop that on people when someone actually tries to exchange a fish, I think it is deceptive, disgraceful and dishonest. I don't think that it is being hard on them to ask for honesty up front. Especially when you charge so much more than places like BRK.

I was told that the only accept returns or trade in's on tuesday on my first visit. Granted it was because I was asking about trading in my watchman goby, but.... I think it's a great store, expensive or not. They are VERY helpful. however if I were ever to get coral, I would get it from ACG, just down the road. They also state on their website that they only accept returns/trade ins of FISH ONLY on tuesdays. It makes perfect sense to me. Think about it. They get all of their fish in on tuesday, put them into their quarantine system, then put those fish in all of the other systems on Monday, and get more new fish on Tuesday, that makes a 7 day quarantine. If you go and put a new fish in on another day of the week, it ruins the one week quarantine, because it may transfer ick or something to all of the other fish in the system, and it is never caught.

I was told that the only accept returns or trade in's on tuesday on my first visit. Granted it was because I was asking about trading in my watchman goby, but.... I think it's a great store, expensive or not. They are VERY helpful. however if I were ever to get coral, I would get it from ACG, just down the road. They also state on their website that they only accept returns/trade ins of FISH ONLY on tuesdays. It makes perfect sense to me. Think about it. They get all of their fish in on tuesday, put them into their quarantine system, then put those fish in all of the other systems on Monday, and get more new fish on Tuesday, that makes a 7 day quarantine. If you go and put a new fish in on another day of the week, it ruins the one week quarantine, because it may transfer ick or something to all of the other fish in the system, and it is never caught.

What is ACG??? I haven't been there.

If they disclosed their policy to everyone up front, I would agree with you completely. However, when you only pop that on people when someone actually tries to exchange a fish, I think it is deceptive, disgraceful and dishonest. I don't think that it is being hard on them to ask for honesty up front. Especially when you charge so much more than places like BRK.

it says so on their website under FAQs...it also just happens to be the number one question and their policy is specified in the answer....i agree their prices are a little on the high side but they are also very healthy and disease free..

it says so on their website under FAQs...it also just happens to be the number one question and their policy is specified in the answer....i agree their prices are a little on the high side but they are also very healthy and disease free..

It may say so on their website, but what percentage of their customers have visited there? I never had. I think it should be displayed on the front door and the cash register. Why don't they do that? Because they don't what to scare away potential customers with thier draconian policy. They are trying to have it both ways.

FN

In fairness to any store - they have no idea what is in your tank disease wise. Why should they take any fish back in the first place. Have a scheduled day they take returns - tuesday, their 1st day of QT of new fish they get in to the shop - makes sense. While its frustrating to the consumer - think about if from shop point of view - we take back a sick fish and put in system and it takes out many fish = loss. Or if they have to dedicate a separate system just for returns = lost money just running a system. Plus they QT fish for a set number of days and if you add in 1 new fish after you start the cycle, they the proper thing would be to reset the time = lost opportunity of never getting fish past QT for us to buy.

Hope this helps explain the process. Sorry your upset, but shop has to have a plan as well.

The Marine Scene has as many or more dissatisfied customers as they do happy ones. While they do have expensive stuff their livestock is always top notch. What is problematic is their quirky style and their rules and regulations which at times seem arbitrary. (Read old posts on Marine Scene) I for one am just very happy that BRK and other top notch stores exist that offer superior customer service and make us feel valued as a customer. :idea:

I've never shopped at marine scene, but I don't understand your frustration? I think your words are a little harsh, for what its worth I would say 65 percent of pet stores in the area won't let you return a saltwater fish:) I've been to alot of them and they can't give you your money back and if they do they give you a 20% turn in coupon or something along the lines... Here are the facts? How can you prove that your fish is the exact same fish that you bought and that you didn't pick one off craigslist and return it with a recept... Or in the case of coral that you didn't nip off a frag.... anyway most stores have it posted that they are not resposible for agression either... sounds like you have an agression issue and that would fall under non returnable...

Be glad they will take it back on a Tuesday! Sounds like they have good reasons and they are trying to keep product standards high

Oh and one more thing were the clownfish sold as a mated pair? If not sounds like you made the mistake about not properly researching before you made a purchase.

(edited)

Oh and one more thing were the clownfish sold as a mated pair? If not sounds like you made the mistake about not properly researching before you made a purchase.

This statement is right on and the truth may hurt but you should chalk this up as a learning experience. We can't expect the stores to be a rental service. We need to make sure we do our research before we make the purchases.

Edited by Coral Hind

The Marine Scene is a nice store very pricey for what they have. When you can go to BRK and get even better stuff for half. I agree with there quartine policy but in the same respect you should just make a point to do a day trade and get the fish over there. Also the best thing Marne Scene has going is the fact they have everything you need, but not at the price your willing to pay.

What is problematic is their quirky style and their rules and regulations which at times seem arbitrary.

Tues have always been the day since I traded in things from 2001. They have always been pretty strict on that.

I have dealt with most of the stores in the area, and I probably couldn't tell you what any of their return policy was offhand. I would probably call the store first before doing anything and explain the situation. If they have on the website, even better.

FYI they have the return policy written on the desk where you go check out. Stating they only accept limited returns on fish on Tuesday and to call to get approve before returning them.

I think this is silly.

The Marine Scene is one of the top aquarium stores in the area, and they charge top prices.

I have never had to/wanted to return any fish to them, and have got some amazing corals from them.

But as one of the best aquarium stores in the area, they should accept returns on any day, for whatever reason. And even refund your $$$ if you just say "I'm unhappy with my purchase."

Not arguing with a customer is the best guarantee that he/she'll be a customer for life.

That's just a basic rule of customer service.

And I don't think anyone here is trying to scam them.....

-R

I disagree these are living animals you wouldn't want a preowned animal would you? My point is if you buy a dog your normally stuck with it for a while or you can attempt to sell it or donate it... these animals are no diffrent... what if someone buys a shark for his 55 gallon tank... only to later read it gets to big:) Your expected to do the research before owning a new pet... most pet stores will also not return tanks because how would you feel if you bought a tank and it had been treated with copper .... anyway I agree with the women that the light should of been returned for a small stocking fee ... anyway I hope everyone gets what they want out of this hobby, but why should a store pratice insane customer service!@

They might have to charge people way more than what they charge in order to take the fish back anytime, and refund saltwater fish if people are not happy. Even Petco won't accept return saltwater fish. Why would a private own fish store should?

ALL stores do accept return of Fresh Water Fish, not SW. :cheers:

But as one of the best aquarium stores in the area, they should accept returns on any day, for whatever reason. And even refund your $$$ if you just say "I'm unhappy with my purchase."

Not arguing with a customer is the best guarantee that he/she'll be a customer for life.

That's just a basic rule of customer service.

And I don't think anyone here is trying to scam them.....

-R

wow glad to see a lot of supporters of Marine Scene... personally (I don't have an issue with them, just rather go to BRK, ACG, PA just because they have quality corals and fish at competitive prices.

Yeah, I like BRK too. The only problem for us is it's a little too far.

wow glad to see a lot of supporters of Marine Scene... personally (I don't have an issue with them, just rather go to BRK, ACG, PA just because they have quality corals and fish at competitive prices.

What and where is "PA" LFS?