Just a tank update

Leishman

So I lost power 3:30pm on Wednesday and hooked up a generator @ 7pm Thursday. In the hours before the generator I did the old; take water out, put water back thing (along with making waves with a large spoon).

Starting Thusday night I did ~300+ gal in water changes in 14 hours. I did this with MASSIVE help from Justin and Chris. Justin provided ~200g of water, 2g of the best carbon I've ever seen and a $1000 Deltech reactor and pump to run the carbon in. Both guys came to my house and helped switch out the water etc...

Power came on @ 9pm friday night, 10 minutes before my plane laft Baltimore for Maine. I got home yesterday ~4:30pm and saw that the one light I set to run blew while I was away. After hooking up the other 2 MH to run 1hr on 1hr off (through eggcrate) I noticed that a lot of things are bleached, alive but bleached. I will do 40g water change tonight and just watch everything with a close eye.

Before:

6.jpg

After:

photo-1.jpg

Before:

P3310265.jpg

After:

photo-2.jpg

That beautiful red table acro. It'll come back with the skeleton already in place, not in short time but will be back with Rik's care.

Rik Sorry to hear about your loss, it looks like its not a total melt down if there is a good side the disaster.

Curtis

(edited)

Rik,

I am sorry to hear about the situation. I hope everything recovers.

Out of curiosity why did you feel the need to change so much water and run carbon all at the same time. I know you guys have a great deal of experience so I am not questioning what was done, but I didn't do anything with my tank and had lost power for 19 hours. My only real concern was temperature and maybe oxygen for my tangs neither turned out to be a huge issue. My tank being in the basment didn't over heat to badly. I dont have nearly as many SPS as you do, but all of my corals came through fine.

Once again I am only asking for my own information and so I can be prepared in the future. I am going to buy a generator this week.

Edited by dschflier

Rik,

Sorry to see the devastation but its great that you did so much for it and I'm sure you will have it back up soon.

If you ever need help, I do work just down the street!

Joe

Rik,

I am sorry to hear about the situation. I hope everything recovers.

Out of curiosity why did you feel the need to change so much water and run carbon all at the same time. I know you guys have a great deal of experience so I am not questioning what was done, but I didn't do anything with my tank and had lost power for 19 hours. My only real concern was temperature and maybe oxygen for my tangs neither turned out to be a huge issue. My tank being in the basment didn't over heat to badly. I dont have nearly as many SPS as you do, but all of my corals came through fine.

Once again I am only asking for my own information and so I can be prepared in the future. I am going to buy a generator this week.

The red table was 16"x12"x10" and the flesh was pealing off and blowing all over, combine that with the massive wads of slime in the tank, and it makes quite a nasty smell in the house. I smashed out as much out as I could, but even w/a mallet and a screwdriver I could not get all the red table out. I think the carbon was a huge help, the problem is now the water is uber clear and I need to be careful not to cook everything with the higher light levels reaching the stressed corals.

Time will tell. :cheers:

Glad I could help, Rik. Good thinking on the eggcrate.

Re: carbon and water changes: It is very important to get that slime and decomposing tissue out asap. It fouls the water (ammonia) and provides a breeding ground for bacteria, which in turn further lower oxygen levels and increase the chances of other corals getting an infection. Basically a vicious cycle of death and decay. If we could have, we would have done a near 100% water change followed by the carbon. Nothing worse for acros than to bathe in their own slime (and others') even after power/flow are restored. This is even more true for xenia. If Rik had a bunch of xenia in there like many folks do, he probably would have had a total wipeout. Also keep in mind that his tank is almost solid coral. Not many people have this much coral biomass in their tanks, which means he has a lot less time his tank can "hold its breath" with zero flow. It doesn't surprise me that the two biggest corals were the hardest hit, they suffocated from the inside out long before the small frags began to have respiration trouble (if at all).

Here are some pics of that top level that you see in the red table pic. That is a five gallon bucket below to give u an Idea of the size of just the top level.

1213032537.jpg

That sucks. Sorry man. You sold me a frag of the red table at the winter meeting. It's grown nicely but is still too small to frag. I should be able to give you a piece in a few months time if you would like.

awww I am sorry for your lost remember when you get lemon make lemonade. Things will turn around.

Rik i have a frag of YOUR red table for you buddy! I can bring it when i get a chance to meetup with you and pickup the disc

That really sucks man, but it sounds like it could have been much worse. Let me know if you lost anything I have, and I'll get you some frags when you are ready.

Mike

Green table has stopped RTNing but it looks like 2 of my torts and my green slimer are taking a turn for the worse. I expect one tort to be dead before I get home.