Power still out since 2am.

amay121

Freaking sucks. If by lunch time it doesn't come back on, I'm gonna start looking for help to host until the power comes back on. Anyone near Gaithersburg that could be willing to help out?

Freaking sucks. If by lunch time it doesn't come back on, I'm gonna start looking for help to host until the power comes back on. Anyone near Gaithersburg that could be willing to help out?

I understand your pain.. Lance came over to my place last night with his corals... nanos are really hard hit by power outages... small volume of water changes in pH, temp, alk way too fast.... best of luck...

(edited)

I could help, but I am in Kensington. My power was out for a few hours. Kicked on my generator and everything was good

Edited by scott711

That's not too far Scott. I'll see how it goes on the power, if it's really going to kill me, I may just take you up on your offer.

Im home today Guy. You can also borrow one of my power inverters :)

Or you can run to the Germantown Costco and pickup a power inverter that plugs into your car. I think they are $20-30? That would buy you some time!

Lol... car to my tank would only work with a 100ft extension cord.. lol...

DOH! The inverter I have can attach directly to a car battery. Problem then is you need to go buy a car battery.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles lately :(

Im here if you need to store stuff. But Im kinda far for you.

Thanks Eric,

I'll be going home for lunch and checkup on things, if things don't look good, it's either over to your place or if Scott is home, then over to his.

Lol... car to my tank would only work with a 100ft extension cord.. lol...

That's only another $20, and a long extension cord is useful to have for other things as well.

I also use an inverter and extension cord to my car for power outages...lasts indefinitely until you need to gas up your car.

tim

We've been out since 2am also. I have a generator running. you can store stuff in my Qtank if you want. i am here all day babysitting kids and the fishtanks/generator. 4124 norbeck rd.

justin

Thanks Justin. We're still out and I haven't been home yet. I'm hoping to leave work early, but I'm waiting for an IBM tech. ugh...!!!!

Ours went out at 2 PM not 2 AM, and was back mid-evening (by Lakeforest)

I have a portable car jump start battery which has a cigarette lighter-type connection on it if someone needs to borrow it, and an old spare regular car battery (needs charging). Girard@Summit.

im still out

22 1/4 hours and counting...........

Oh my goodness..... I didn't realize it had been so long for you. Wish we were closer to help out.

M

im still out

Wow! Hope you're back up soon!

Wow. Rik, do you need any help? Are you running any air pump with battery?

I do have a deep cycle battery at home now and can bring it over. you might have to run out and get a power inverter.

:(

im still out

Rik - I just PM'd you and told you my power outage saga - had no idea that you didn't have power :-(

Guy - call if you need help.

For all - here's what's been going on at my house!

Husband called me at work at 3:15 pm yesterday - power is out. I have an inverter w/marine batteries so I wasn't too panicked but I didn't have anything on the 40 breeder/qt and I just got a male mandarin on Tuesday!!

Get home, put 2 battery airlines on the 40 breeder. The inverter is running the MAG 7 (small chiller pump). After about an hour I plugged another MAG 9.5 (other chiller pump) into the inverter outlet - surely the power will be back on soon right? When 8:00 pm or so comes and still no power - I get worried about the inverter getting through the night so I unplug the MAG 9.5 and just kept the MAG 7 running. Went to bed after "watching" the Penguins lose on a 4" battery TV. Expected the inverter to run out sometime during the night :(

Had dream about yellow tang laying on the sand bed! Woke up - still no power - afraid to go downstairs. Very relieved to see that the MAG 7 still running (inverter now on green/yellow) and the battery airlines still going :-) Really need to get to work but can't run out leaving hubby to deal with generator (coffee/VHO's for tank) and watch the inverter too (can I?). Since I have no idea when power will come back (and inverter now on yellow/red), we are at Sears when they open getting marine batteries in case we have to go through another night without power :-(

Leave hubby to get more gas for generator, bring batteries home, and hook them up while I dash to work. around noon. When he gets home at around 11:30 am the MAG 7 is still running! I get to work just in time for a power outage and they send us all home :-(

I need a nap and a few :drink:

Power is finally back on. Thanks everyone for their offers.. Now I gotta get home soon and check up on my livestock... ugh, I feel bad for the guys.

... Very relieved to see that the MAG 7 still running (inverter now on green/yellow)...

Yesterday was the first time my battery back-up plan was put into action. Lost power for a total of 6 hrs from 3 to 9pm. My on-line UPS kept things running for 30 min while I had time to get my DeepCycle Marine battery brought in from the garage and hooked up to the inverter. I only kept one MAG9.5 running (main return pump) and it lasted 5.5 hrs without any problems. I'm guessing the trick is to have a 2nd DeepCycle battery on standby so this way you can have a continuous coverage. (Assuming you have a buddy near by with power, where you can recharge the other battery).

-- Rob

One of my K4 is leaking electricity and I'm removing it. Still have the headache from the electrical shock. Ouch..

[Assuming you have a buddy near by with power, where you can recharge the other battery).

-- Rob

'

Rob - what the quickest, safest for the battery (I heard that a fast charge isn't good for a battery?) way to recharge the deep cycle batteries? I've never totally run it out except a while back when we ran it just to see how long we could count on it. Usually it just recharges when the power comes back on but that is definitely a slow charge.