Now might be a good time....

squiddly

Guest beatle

There's one in Springfield Mall.

My power went off again right before I left for work this morning. I powered off my PCs and hooked one of my powerheads up to it before I left. I'm headed home for lunch... hopefully it's back on.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still no juice at my house. 11:59pm June 9th is the estimste (that is Monday night)

Stuff not looking good, lots of awesome help from Justin and Chris, thanks guys.

If this is a huge loss, I'm out.

It was 300,000 ppl! I think your right I only caught the end of the news program.... and I wasn't really paying alot of attetion! Anyway too much wamas for me and thanks for the correction!

Radio this morning - Pepco has 18,000 still without, and Dominion had 20,000.

bob

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 1000w generator made in China or Indonesia or something like that.

They can be had for around $150 - $200.

That's all you need to run a hammerhead pump and a 500w heater.

looky here

still no juice at my house. 11:59pm June 9th is the estimste (that is Monday night)

Stuff not looking good, lots of awesome help from Justin and Chris, thanks guys.

Rik, if you're willing to come all the way out to Vienna you're welcome to borrow either my inverter (takes juice from a car battery and converts to 120V), which can run a very decent sized pump for circulation between your sump and tank and/or borrow my generator (which I haven't fired up in a while) which would run your tank + frig + more. LMK - David

MONDAY!!!! What the -bleepity bleep bleep- is taking them so bleeeping long? I realize you're in DC and stuff is really jacked up there ( I know, I used to do home pool maintenance there) but 5 days?!?!! That's ridiculous.

Seriously, was it that bad after Isabel?

I see these post and it is a shame people dont have a few cheap things that work wonders on our tanks...I bass fish so i have deep cycle batts...go get one....hook up a bilge pump directly to the batt..safe for salt they have stanless parts....cheap insurance......apc 1400...new or used will push a 2000 gal hr sureflow maxie jet for 30 to 40 hours...coral will be find if you blast them with a sureflow pump.... :bday:

" I figured BRK was closed ..."

We were open till 7 pm and have battery air pumps.......

Rik, I have a generator that I use at the shop, If you want to come for It and promise to bring it back once you have power, you are welcome to it.

john

VA power supply in Merrifield off 29 and Prosperity has generators left as of Thursday.

$1100 for 750watt setups. Expensive, but will run your whole house.

Hold tight Rik!

I have two battery operated $20.00 pumps with stones running my tank for 3 days now and haven't loss anything yet according to Chip and Jean Marie'! Loss 1 Cleaner Shrimp before I hook them up!

Superpets in Annandale had them.

" I figured BRK was closed ..."

We were open till 7 pm and have battery air pumps.......

Rik, I have a generator that I use at the shop, If you want to come for It and promise to bring it back once you have power, you are welcome to it.

john

Dude, you really need to update your phone message then, which disagrees with you by announcing BRK is not open M-W.

the power is on......

2 or 3 major losses, not enough to quit.

I've got a medium sized piece of your table if you need it.

Wow im sorry for your loses:( Lance is also back into power! Thank god I could only imagine holding his corals in my tank!

Dude, you really need to update your phone message then, which disagrees with you by announcing BRK is not open M-W.

Just started opening wednesday, havent changed everything yet, forgot about the phone message.

John

the power is on......

Yay!!!!

I mean - sorry about your losses... but sounds like it could have been a TON worse!!

((And - there are STILL 10,000 people without power))

bob

Rik had a few HUGE loses. I'm happy everything else is ok though. I'll be by tomorrow night to make sure everything is in order though.

the power is on......

Rik,

Sorry for your losses. If there's anything we have of yours you'd like a piece back of, please let us know. You've always been so generous with everyone, I'm sure many will rally to help your tank recover to its previous glory.

Maureen and Jon

Very sorry for your losses and also glad it wasn't worse.

red table is dead, green table is dead, one of my 7 torts looks to on the way out, and that's where it ends I hope.

Mad props to Justin and mr gadgets, with their help I got 300 gals of new water in the tank, a massive deltec Carbon reactor hooked up with gallons of carbon to pull out the decay.

Tank looks odd without the huge center piece. The beuty of this, and other clubs, is the fact we share our livestock. I will take this loss as a way to tear the whole system down and rebuild it. Fathers day w/e will be time I do it.

Thanks for all the PMs and offers of help, this club is awesome.

I have a frag of your red table with your name on it when your ready Rik. I can bring it to you when i pickup my frag disc

red table is dead, green table is dead, one of my 7 torts looks to on the way out, and that's where it ends I hope.

Mad props to Justin and mr gadgets, with their help I got 300 gals of new water in the tank, a massive deltec Carbon reactor hooked up with gallons of carbon to pull out the decay.

Tank looks odd without the huge center piece. The beuty of this, and other clubs, is the fact we share our livestock. I will take this loss as a way to tear the whole system down and rebuild it. Fathers day w/e will be time I do it.

Thanks for all the PMs and offers of help, this club is awesome.

Remember the big frag of the red table I won at auction? I split it with Grav, and my half has grown reasonably well - it is about 4"x12" now. I think I could lop off a pretty good-sized frag. Just say the word.

bob

Just started opening wednesday, havent changed everything yet, forgot about the phone message.

John

Ah, bummer. And now I think I recall reading something on here about the store being open on Wednesday now ... but I couldn't remember, and couldn't get on line (no power) I depended on the phone message, rather than my memory. Oh well.... Now I know :)

Ah, bummer. And now I think I recall reading something on here about the store being open on Wednesday now ... but I couldn't remember, and couldn't get on line (no power) I depended on the phone message, rather than my memory. Oh well.... Now I know :)

yep, and phone message is changed now too!! thanks.

(edited)

Well, I used my generator for the first time since the hurricane. Power went out for almost 30 hrs. The generator I have is a 7.35 KW starting and 5.25 KW running Briggs & Stratton. I was able to run: 1 freezer; 2 refrigerators, Aquarium equipment without lights, Television, several fans, a couple of lights & small appliances on it. Everything worked fine. I bought this generator on sale from Home Depot for $500.00. The generator will run on one tank of gas (about 10 gallons) for 24 Hrs. It could have run the aquarium lights, but I did not want to run the chiller. I could have switched the refrigerators out peiodically and run the chiller if needed.

IMHO, anyone that has a serious reef tank with many thousands of dollars invested in it, should take old Murphy's law seriously, and invest in at least a generator like this one. I learned my lesson during the last hurricane, where I lost everything. Most tanks can withstand an 8-12 hr. down time without to much consequence, but longer than that, can cause some major expenses, as has been demonstrated over the last week or so. If I lost the contents of my freezer & refrigerators, it would of cost me many hundreds of dollars (possibly over $1000). I think, my investment for this generator just paid for itself. :wink:

PS: Here are some links I found for a little bit bigger & newer model. It will do the trick backing up most homes:

Ebay: New 10hp Briggs 5550/8550 Watt Generator-In Stock! $850.00 including shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/New-10hp-Briggs-5550-8...Q2em118Q2el1247[/size]

Amazon Link: ($799.00 - free shipping with Super Saver): http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-Prod...1/dp/B0009WYSBQ

Edited by Highland Reefer