My 90g Rimless Starphire Tank

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original plan was to make the doors out of plywood. I had them cut and was ready to paint them and noticed that they had cupped slightly. I didn't like that so I violated one of my main rules and made them out of MDF instead. They are well sealed though and should hold up well. If not, I've already guaranteed to replace them.

The stand design was all Chris' idea and I agree, it looks sweet. The stand and canopy are made entirely of 3/4" plywood with two coats of primer and several coats of high gloss oil-based polyurethane enamel designed for boat decks. That stuff aint cheap but I have no doubt that the finish will hold up for many years. ;)

Don't waste time posting, fill that thing up.

I second this chris

i'm excited to see what you have in store for that glass box

Thanks everyone!!! New pics coming soon. i'm still in process of filling it up with water. I wired all lighting today and got some plumbing done.

1209437707.jpg

So did you figure out the T5 issue and is the canopy hung already?

Canopy is hung. I got the T5s working, but I scraped them cause the space was too tight. I may add them in later.

Barebottom? :biggrin: I like this tank thread already!

Of all the day I left my cell phone behind and my wife didn't forward our home phone like she usually does. Otherwise, I would have gotten that call from Bob and rush home so I can go with him to deliver the tank and stand to your place. I can honestly say I've never seen Bob work so hard. LOL. Can't wait for the tank tour and see the final product in all its glory.

That is a wood filler. Chris wanted a smooth finish that did not show any wood grain so I applied a skim coat of filler and sanded it smooth.

That is a wood filler. Chris wanted a smooth finish that did not show any wood grain so I applied a skim coat of filler and sanded it smooth.

Ok that's what I figured. I'm definitely going to need to go shopping soon :) Thanks!

:cheers: Finally!!! it looks amazing Chris congrats!!! now sit back and let it grow... lets see some shots with the raduims on ;)